My PC9 and the pumpkin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I wish I had video of this... this past weekend while 'back home' on the family farm I took the time to do a little shooting.... my factory 10/22 with now shortened barrel and Nikon scope was letting me hit 1lb propane bottles at a hundred yards... in fact one bottle was not empty... that was a little exciting....

but the real interesting part was my PC9.... I threw a pumpkin that had made it through the winter in the pond and at about 30 yards emptied a magazine of full metal jackets at it.... hit it most of the time but only got splashes... then loaded a magazine of Spear Hydro shock rounds and the first shot...... literally blew chunks all over the place.... after that it was the same.... hunks of pumpkin all over the pond.... pretty cool as well as frightening what a 9mm hollow point will do.

9x19

Hunter
Sounds like a fun time, and I agree... 9mm JHPs out of a carbine can be explosive! :mrgreen:

I have two PC9's, the one I carry often is the customized one with the Choate folding stock.. the other I bought a few years back and have kept factory ... my plan was to put a folding stock on it when I got a third one... I've pretty much decided that 3rd one is not going to happen... can't afford a 3rd one and they are pretty scarce and over priced these days... So, I think I'll go ahead and customize #2.

vn750

Bearcat
blume357 said:
I wish I had video of this... this past weekend while 'back home' on the family farm I took the time to do a little shooting.... my factory 10/22 with now shortened barrel and Nikon scope was letting me hit 1lb propane bottles at a hundred yards... in fact one bottle was not empty... that was a little exciting....

but the real interesting part was my PC9.... I threw a pumpkin that had made it through the winter in the pond and at about 30 yards emptied a magazine of full metal jackets at it.... hit it most of the time but only got splashes... then loaded a magazine of Spear Hydro shock rounds and the first shot...... literally blew chunks all over the place.... after that it was the same.... hunks of pumpkin all over the pond.... pretty cool as well as frightening what a 9mm hollow point will do.

I had the same thing happen to me, the first year I took my PC9 out to the "Great Pumpkin Shoot" that we have out here on the first Sunday after Halloween. first couple of mags filled with FMJ, nothing but holes. but them when I filled a few mags with HP's? HOLY KAW! nothing but chunks! BIG FUN!

9x19

Hunter
mattsbox99 said:
I have one of the JR Carbines in 9mm and I agree they are a lot of fun. The JR takes Glock mags and uses mostly AR parts.

I looked at a JR just before the fear-mongering raised prices so high, if they ever come back down, I'd like to try one.

I've owned several other makes and models of 9mm carbine (ie Beretta, Kel-Tec and Ruger), but these days I prefer my Marlin Camp Carbines in 9mm. I have one with the "checkered" wood stock and another that wears a Choate folding stock. They use S&W 3rd generation mags, which are plentiful.

Since I have three Ruger P95s and one P89... the Ruger PC9 seemed like a no brainer and I've never regretted buying either.... now to bite the bullet and order another Choate Folding stock for a Mossburg 500 and do the deed.

PC9.jpg

9x19

Hunter
It sucks that the after-market never got around to the Ruger PC, or that it wasn't on the market long enough to lure them in... of course the design worked against the stock makers, but that is the only negative thing about the Ruger, as they were good little carbines.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The downside to the PC was that I would have to SBR it in order to thread the barrel. The JR was mostly an impulse purchase when I saw it came factory threaded for my can. Its a lot of fun with the can and subsonic ammo.

If I can ever get the FBI to finish their background check and give BATFE the okay for me then I might consider a can for my PC.... so far the wait is going on 1 year and 3 months....

But a can is not nearly as desirable to me as compact and easy to pack and carry.

what exactly does 'SBR' mean?

cagedodger

Bearcat
blume357 said:
what exactly does 'SBR' mean?

Short Barrel Rifle - any firearm that was originally a rifle but with the barrel shortened to less than 16".

The Ruger Charger is a 10/22 with a barrel way shorter than 16" but it is sold as a pistol.

It would be illegal to shorten a 10/22 barrel, or for that matter, a PC9 barrel, to less than 16" without registering it as a SBR.

Cage 8) proud PC9GR owner

Sabby

Bearcat
That's is one thing I love about my PC9 it has never stuttered with any ammo I feed it and really comes alive in the upper scales with +P or better yet 147 gr. +P+ out of a 16 barrel is down right surgical