Old PC9 query

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bubbas358

Bearcat
How hard is it to actually find one of these for sale? I know that nay searches I put up on the interwebs bring up nothing but the PCC, and that is irritating for me. Normally computers are pretty good at separating words....but it doesn't help when sellers do NOT know what the correct terms are for what they are selling.....

I just prefer the old P series pistols, and would like to get a carbine with that magwell.....:rolleyes: guess I am a dinosaur sometimes.

My suspicion is most folks don't want the PC9/PC4, so they're not offered. I have a pretty near perfect PC4 that I've had for sale locally for a year, at a fair price, and I can't get a nibble. And I agree, it's hard to search for these, as most folks refer the the newer PCC's as PC9. Even when I attempted to get parts from Ruger for an old PC9, even the folks at Ruger's parts department didn't know the difference, and actually argued with me.

Speaking of parts for the PC9/PC4, there are none available from Ruger. This might also cause folks to push them farther back into their safe and forget about them.

. :unsure:

Last edited:
I picked up one several years ago and am now considering getting a P-series pistol (any advice on which one I should get?)
I was searching GB just yesterday and only saw one of the older PC9 models listed, they're asking $695 but it does look like it is in good condition, see link below.
I put a Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5x4 on mine and it will cloverleaf 5 shots at 50 yards.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
FWIW, I got mine Christmas morning in '07 or '08. Got up that morning & checked my running searches on the auction sites. Auction Arms had one, the first I'd seen in over a year of looking. I hit "buy it now" at $699 & worried about telling my wife after she woke up.

PC4s were fairly available back then & I'd picked up mine sometime in '06 at the Tulsa Gun Show for the going price of $350.

Good luck with your search & grab the first one you find. ;)

Bubbas358

Bearcat
I picked up one several years ago and am now considering getting a P-series pistol (any advice on which one I should get?)
Depends upon which P series feels best in your hand. I have had all the 9mm versions at one time or another, the 85 and 89 are pretty much identical in the frame department. The 95 feels a bit different than the aluminum frames, but to me it sets nicer in the hand ( just a bit) . Either series will do, They all are soft on the recoil, built like tanks, and will take (likely) more abuse than we will.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
1703250169964.jpeg

1703250294603.jpeg

Left to right, PC4, P91DC, P90, PC9 & P85.

:cool:

asteirman

Bearcat
I have a PC4 that has been trouble free for twenty years. I happened on some 20 round mags. The 40 cal shoots at the speed of a 10 mm with the 16 inch barrel. What could be better ? Keep looking you will find one ! Light and fast handling.

Fyrtwuck

Bearcat
I bought one about 6 months ago. I just did an internet search for Ruger PC-9. When it was delivered i was amazed that it looked like it had never been fired. I contacted Ruger after I got it. Mine was made in 1998. They also said they no longer provide warranty or repairs for this carbine.

Some parts are available, but costly. Gunpartscorp has a few.

I found a Ruger Factory manual for it on eBay.

hittman

Staff member

Bubbas358

Bearcat
I saw these for sale, and like I posted somewhere else....I always find things that I want when I don't have the available funds for it. And right now is one of these times....very unfortunate for me.:mad:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Just checked and saw at least one on GB. It was pricey though, but you pay for your vices, I suppose (I like OM Blackhawks and Pythons!)

Fyrtwuck

Bearcat
The one I have is set up different. There were no rear sights, just a groove for one on the barrel. It came with 1" proprietary Ruger scope rings and no rear sight. After looking at the parts list with parts numbers in the owners manual (Thanks Ruger) I found that the same sight base for the Ruger MK 22 pistols and the PC9 are the same. So, I bought a rear sight on eBay installed a rear peep sight.

I did some more research and found that there was a rail mount available to fit the receiver in the same manner as the scope rings made by a company named Weigand and they sell the rail on Amazon.

My PC9 now has a rail with a Holosun
507C-X2 Green sitting on top. VERY accurate setup.

Fyrtwuck

Bearcat
Can you show some pictures of the rear sight? The rear sight dovetail for mine is on top of the barrel. Ruger told me that mine was made in 1997. When was yours made?

Latest posts