My new SS Blackhawk .45 with a .357 serial number code.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ilikeguns

Bearcat
My new Stainless Steel .45 Blackhawk arrived earlier this week. 2014 production with a .357 Blackhawk frame code 38-44xxx. A couple of pics :)

As shipped...

Replacement grips from Ruger, thinner at the bottom than the Rosewood grips.

Ilikeguns

Bearcat
Enigma said:
Nice! How does it shoot?

Thanks! I made it to the indoor range in Boise yesterday. Shot five different factory loads. It was fun :) The windage was right on, vertical varied from 185g, hit 7" low, to 360 grain, which hit about 3" high. Time to learn how to reload. I think a 300-325 grain hardcast @1000-1100 fps will be just about right for me.

I posted some video from my range visit in a new post.

Mjolnir

Bearcat
Apparently Ruger started doing this in 2013:

http://www.ruger.com./service/productHistory/RE-NMBhawk45.html

Factory goof???

chet15

Hawkeye
Mjolnir said:
Apparently Ruger started doing this in 2013:

http://www.ruger.com./service/productHistory/RE-NMBhawk45.html

Factory goof???

Well, at first we thought it was a factory goof. But because Ruger has had plenty of opportunity to correct themselves (several employees, also the CEO get subscriptions to Red Eagle News Exchange where we mentioned this), it appears now that this change was intentional.
So now I think Ruger will finish out the 38- and 39- prefix with their .30, .41 and .45 Blackhawks, then go up to the 48- prefix where they left off and finish those out with .30's, .41's and .45's, including through 49-99999 and probably then go to where the .30 Blackhawk left off in the 51- prefix and number their Blackhawks through 54-99999. Only time will tell.
The good thing is, when Ruger begins again in the 48- prefix and later on in the 51- prefix, hopefully they'll note the first number on their dates of manufacture web page.
Chet15

Ilikeguns

Bearcat
Thanks Chet15,

I figured Ruger was building from left over parts. When the gun arrived I noticed the serial number prefix was different from the two previous Blackhawks I've owned. The SS 7.5" version was exactly the configuration I was looking for, the change up in serial numbering is just a small added extra for me.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Very nice, Ilikeguns. That'll hunt! Thanks for that info Chet. I saw that Ruger had them asterisked on there site for a 2013/14 run. The replacement Blackhawk convertible (.45 Colt/ACP), that I got for a frame-damaged 48-xxx#, is a 38-xxx#. I was curious but, this one has the best fit/finish of the last three I've had, and it reads .45 Caliber on the other side. I'm keeping it. It needs to be reamed, as seems to be the norm, but is accurate enough for woods walking and plinking till then.

Latest posts