My Favorite Ruger Double Action Belt Gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I bought this Ruger Security Six four inch revolver in 1990 from one of my local gun shops. The store manager informed me that this handgun was owned by an area business owner passed who passed away in 1985 and that business owner's son brought it in for a consignment sale.

The son stated that this was his father's only firearm and kept it in his shop for protection. He further stated that it was given to his father by a gun magazine writer from Texas who had a son that worked as a New Mexico State Police officer. The only writer I knew that fit this story was Skeeter Skeleton. I don't know if this is factual information, but it is an interesting account. I might see if Ruger will research it for me.

I've shot many Skeeter loads over the years using my own cast lead 158 grain hollow points over 2400 powder using .38Special cases. For the last couple of years I find myself carrying this old revolver when I'm hiking the trails near home or for occasional horseback trail rides when my arthritis permits.

I took off the original skinny grips replaced them with a set of Ruger target grips a few years back and I am very pleased with them. I am gradually making the circle that took me from revolvers to semiautomatic pistols and back to revolvers again.

Respectfully,
Mike

IMG_0549.jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
Those are excellent guns.

Ruger letters will give you the model, the mfg date, the ship date, (both only the month and year. )
And the place that it was shipped to.
Unless Skeeter had a FFL/business it wouldn't be in Ruger records.
Still a possibility that Skeeter did own it at one time.

Strawdog

Bearcat
Beautiful revolver Mike.
I picked up my Ruger Police Service Six a few years ago. Stopped by the LGS looking for a model 10 S&W. I was looking over several 4" pencil barreled guns but I was really wanting a heavy barreled one. I was almost ready to choose from the two I had narrowed them down to when I looked into the case again and saw the Ruger tucked and hiding in the back. Told the clerk that it needed to be looked at too. I wanted one of these SOOO much back in the day that the S&W's faded by comparison. She had been ridden hard and put away wet but I figured it was mine now. She cleaned up well and deserved the attention of an action job along with some new shoes. I always get complements where ever she go's. Since the picture was taken I have also replaced the front sight with a Mepro night sight.
3e8OxpEl.jpg

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Both very nice revolvers. I initially hesitated buying any Six Series revolvers because Ruger no longer services them. Later I realized how solidly built they are and not likely to need repair by Ruger. Now I own five that will be passed to another lucky owner some day.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
My Favorite isn't a Ruger but a Colt Python. Years ago, I had an early GP100 4" that was nuce!

crstrode

Single-Sixer
I bought this Ruger Security Six four inch revolver in 1990 from one of my local gun shops. The store manager informed me that this handgun was owned by an area business owner passed who passed away in 1985 and that business owner's son brought it in for a consignment sale.

The son stated that this was his father's only firearm and kept it in his shop for protection. He further stated that it was given to his father by a gun magazine writer from Texas who had a son that worked as a New Mexico State Police officer. The only writer I knew that fit this story was Skeeter Skeleton. I don't know if this is factual information, but it is an interesting account. I might see if Ruger will research it for me.

I've shot many Skeeter loads over the years using my own cast lead 158 grain hollow points over 2400 powder using .38Special cases. For the last couple of years I find myself carrying this old revolver when I'm hiking the trails near home or for occasional horseback trail rides when my arthritis permits.

I took off the original skinny grips replaced them with a set of Ruger target grips a few years back and I am very pleased with them. I am gradually making the circle that took me from revolvers to semiautomatic pistols and back to revolvers again.

Respectfully,
Mike

View attachment 36006
I know that gun dealer.
He married Morgan Fairchild.
Yup - Morgan Fairchild. That's the ticket! Yeah, you betcha!

eveled

Hawkeye
Nice guns posted. I love my security six, but this fixed sight GP100 is my favorite belt Ruger. 4" .357 are really practical
IMG_4625.jpeg

I was looking for a speed six when I found it.

Last edited:

Latest posts