Moly Grease as bore treatment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
I'm just curious: have any of you guys used moly lube in a clean bore as a bore treatment?
The reason I ask..... I was experimenting with some Aquilla Colbris ( not the supers) in a long barrel rifle that in the past, choked a few times & had to have the slugs tapped out. ( maybe just duds) Anyway I cleaned up the bore well....pushed a bunch of tight dry patches through it ( to make sure no solvent was left ) then ran a patch of Brownell's moly action grease down the bore. Since then I have fired about 500 Colbris through it without a glitch.
(I'm always amazed at how accurate those little buggers are out to 15 yards)

Anyway I'm wondering if it may prevent leading in SV & HV 22's as well?

A

Anonymous

Seems I've read in more than one owner's manual to be sure "your bore is free of oil, grease, or other obstructions". I think you took a chance and got lucky. A barrel should be clean when shot. Even the oil from the oily patch you used before storing the gun, should be swabbed out pretty well before shooting.

My guns spend way more time "stored" than being used. When I clean a gun after use, the final act is running a pretty oily patch thru the bore and chamber(s), and wiping the outside surfaces with an oily rag. Yes, I over-oil intentionally because it may be a long time before that particular gun is fired again. Some don't like this procedure for several reasons, but it has worked for me for over fifty years. I'm not pushing it on anyone.

Realizing that bore obstructions are a bad thing, and that oily chambers can allow funny stuff to happen during firing, I always make it a point to run dry patches thru the bore and chamber(s) of a gun prior to firing it, and dry-wipe the outside to make the gun less slippery and attractive to dust, grime, etc. This has also been my normal procedure over the years, and it holds up well for me.

JMHO, of course. YMMV

:)

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
bearcatter said:
Seems I've read in more than one owner's manual to be sure "your bore is free of oil, grease, or other obstructions". I think you took a chance and got lucky. A barrel should be clean when shot. Even the oil from the oily patch you used before storing the gun, should be swabbed out pretty well before shooting.

Well I guess I should have phrased it better..... I didn't want you all to get the impression I shot it with a lot of Grease down the bore I'm very aware of the dangers of bore obstruction. The bore was wiped before firing... what I was getting at is I read moly is supposed to bond to steel on a molecular level to produce less friction. That is why I was wondering about it preventing leading. Anyway here is one of those type products
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=988/Product/MOLY_BORE_TREATMENT_PASTE
Just looking for any folks that had experiences with this kind of stuff

I've done this many times on hand guns that shoot lead bullets. The moly is worked into the pores of the metal, microscopicly, metal looks like a dry lake bed. Moly microscopicly looks like little ball bearings that fills the pores. Wiping the excess grease out should be done before shooting but the pores are still full of moly. Reduces leading and makes leading easier to remove. In the die cast foundry the shot sleeves were lubricated with powdered moly, it doesn't seem to burn at 1200 degrees F.

Post scrip to the above post, if you want to take it out use Kroil for the solvent. Wet the bore leave it wet for a few hours. Dry patches until they are relatively clean. You may want to do the process twice.

il Padrino

Bearcat
I recently swabbed the bore on my Mark II with Slick 50, let it sit for a few days then wiped it clean and dry before I took it out shooting, and noticed an improvement in accuracy.
Hey it's worked well on my cars over the years, so I figured giving it a try in my gun. Just a few drops on a patch, a quart should last me a very long time.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Sam Summey said:
Post scrip to the above post, if you want to take it out use Kroil for the solvent.

Hi,

I've talked to guys who claim Kroil is the ONLY thing that goes in their target barrels. Wonder if cleaning out your moly grease and just "treating" the barrel w/ Kroil would produce any favorable results?

I've seen some of that microphotography you mentioned, and it appears there would be a lot of nooks and crannies for either the moly OR the Kroil to hide in... dunno if the Kroil would burn off more quickly, though.

Rick C

Kroil is thin and will evaporate in time I would also think it will burn off easily. I don't think it would be a very good lubricant/protectant. Also it has chemicals that dissolve rust. Benchresters use it because it gets under the layer of copper fouling which makes the fouling easier to remove. It was also discovered to remove the moly form the bore of rifles that have had moly bullets fired in them. From reports I have heard because of the fact that the moly residue left in the bore is uneven uncoated bullets do not shoot well until all the moly residue is removed.
All of this said I would treat a bore with moly when it is applied with a patch and jag pumped up and down in the bore then wipe excess out with a dry patch especially if I were to shoot lead cast bullets. Lyman used to make a bullet lube that had a content of moly many years ago.

alkpon

Bearcat
Slick 50.....IMO an old (30 yrs or so) snake oil. Cheap 10-20- 30 wt. motor oil with addition of teflon. I knew one of the "still" mixers. Whether it has benefits, ???. I say 10-20-30 wt. because not consistent, whatever cheapest. Add teflon and (mineral spirits ??) for consistent weight.
I may try some Marvel Mystery Oil in bore. That, is proven product.
And, it is perfume based.

Charon

Single-Sixer
I have usually found it interesting to search for the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on products such as Marvel Mystery Oil, Seafoam, and others. The MSDS should tell you what is actually in the product, although they often list something like "proprietary compound" . Just search using the product name and MSDS.