MO share the Harvest

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) and the Conservation Federation of Missouri (CFM) thank the thousands of Missouri deer hunters who donated 247,575 pounds of venison to the state's Share the Harvest program this past deer season, including 5,394 whole deer.
I/we did our part donating 13-14 of those animals. Could possibly have done more but not all family members are as gung-ho as me(and there were some missed opportunities).

The meat is distributed to LOCAL food pantries. This program is mostly funded by church and other benevolent groups and stays within boundaries specified by those contributors. The area here encompasses basically 4 counties in north central MO.
The meat is processed by local businesses that meet state guidelines, collect CWD samples, and handle paperwork. I think there are 6(?) processors cooperating within the 4 county area. This is a real boon for a few operations that could not normally stay in business. When Share the Harvest began, we(the hunters) had to pay for part or all the cost of processing the deer we donated. That was a real problem until the system became funded by other means and supported by MDC. During this year's after season population reduction period, MDC provided pickup and drop off of carcasses for processing so participating landowners didn't even have to haul the carcasses to the locker.

Fujicon

Bearcat
Good cause multiplied by good people equals good outcomes for society. And no greed or "incentives" required. Good for Missouri.

I'm not a fan of 'welfare programs' that allow recipients to incorrectly manage the provided funds(spending for tobacco, alcohol, lottery tickets). I feel that assistance in the form of meat is more likely to be properly used.

Latest posts