The swans have arrived

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The big white ones whatever species they are have arrived in large numbers. Sitting in the neighbor's corn stubble, the flock covers 3-4 acres. The wetland 1/2 mile from my house is covered with assorted waterfowl and the noise kept me awake until they settled down around mid-night. The wetland west of the creek has untold numbers of geese as does the wetland 1 mile north. I hope the geese don't do as much damage to the wheat fields as they did last year. The damage cost one neighbor a big yield loss but as usual, the bunny cops shrugged it off since the landowner didn't report the problem soon enough. :(

contender

Ruger Guru
If they are Tundra Swans,, we do our part here in NC to help control the population. We have a hunting season on them, by special permit.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
There was a news story a few days ago where a fella shot one and got in deep doo-doo over it

No clue here and not going to find out. MDC issues a warning to snow goose hunters of the bad things that happen if a swan is shot.
FWIW, I wouldn't fire a shotgun at a flying goose anyway due to the extreme pain in my shoulder.

wwb

Hunter
Most likely trumpeter swans, as tundra swans are much less common. Now for the big question.... is this arrival earlier than normal?

We don't normally have a noticeable number of these birds so not sure if earlier or later. I'd guess it's earlier since MidWest weather patterns are much warmer than normal.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've never tasted any of the Tundra Swans,, but from what I've heard,, quite good!

DIL & Granddaughter,, with their Tundra Swans a few years back.

Barbie & Shelby Swans.png

contender

Ruger Guru
That picture is a bit mis-leading. Normal wingspan of the Tundra Swans run in the 60"-70" width. My DIL bagged one a different year,, with a 10 gauge FLINTLOCK, that had a 69" wingspan. She had that one mounted. It fills up a big wall.

KIR

Sparks, NV
I understand Swans mate for life. Many years ago, a swan was captured from a nearby pond, taken to the basement of a close building where it was mutilated. Another swan for a mate was introduced into the pond and after awhile they finally mated. That was a happy ending.
I always wondered about the homeless being able to capture Canada Geese so they could be used for food to feed the hungry. I was informed that it was illegal within the city limits. Damn politicians. A simple solution for a big problem. Anyone else have laws for against like that?

contender

Ruger Guru
Canada geese are covered under Federal laws. (You can look up federal migratory game birds.)

However,, many states now have what is called "resident populations" of geese,, so it's easier to get a federal depredation permit than it used to be.

Latest posts