MKII Slabside value question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bjones2571

Bearcat
So I figure I better ask before I buy, as Im not sure if my last uninformed purchase is going to work out for me. (See my other post re my single six lacking a 22lr cylinder.)

Anyway, I have the opportunity to buy a MKII Slabside in stainless. Looks to be in pretty good condition. I dont have the serial number and I was hoping you guys could fill me in on the details on it and the appropriate purchase price. I'm being offered it at $400 with a leather holster and mags (dont know how many).

Thanks in advance.
Picture2067.jpg

Picture2066.jpg

hpman66

Hunter
Does it come with the Ruger rings as it looks like an older Ruger base that uses Ruger Factory Rings. If it doesn't come with the right rings, you will have to buy those(about $30-$40) or you will have to buy the Ruger Weaver/Picatinny Base that allows you to use Weaver type rings. Something to haggle about on the price that are willing to pay. It should have at least two factory magazines also. One other thing, look at the chamber and make sure that they previous owner didn't fire the pistol without the firing pin retainer pin in place. If they did, there will be a dent, at the 12 oclock position, just above the chamber.

Ruger Weaver/Picatinny Bases:
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=8899&

contender

Ruger Guru
Those slabsides are desirable to many folks. I bought one when they first came out. NICE guns. And even if you have to get the Ruger rings,,, the offered price is very fair. I'd buy it at $400 as is.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Rings are about $70-80 new. About half used if you can find the right size.
If it has no box or rings, I'd say it's a little high at $400. But not crazy high. I'd probably look around first (eg search Gun Broker).

they sell for that price around here without the target grips you picture and one, maybe two mags....if the box and rings, all the better, As well as just how many mags there are with the gun, figure $20-25 each per extra..........you picture the gun with the base, so thats half the battle, rings can be found at about every gun show, just need two fo them the SAME heighth for that guns aplication, and can use either blue or stainless, makes no matter..............

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I should add that if it does come with box and rings and functions well, it would be a good deal. But if it only came with one mag and now box or rings... Well that's over $100 worth of goodies it'd be missing. Then again, you may not care about these items. They are excellent guns.

eveled

Hawkeye
I think that is a fair price on a great gun. You won't regret buying it, Ed

bjones2571

Bearcat
Thanks for the help guys. I didnt want to post earlier so that I didnt jinx anything, but I picked it up today. Got the gun, five mags, a leather field style holster, and a couple of (old) boxes of minimags for $400. Gun looks to be in great condition, but needs a cleaning. I'll get it cleaned up and post pictures. Thanks again.

hpman66

Hunter
If you got 5 factory magazines and the holster you did pretty good. Also try as many different brands/types of ammo to find which one your Slabside likes the best. If you want to make your new shootin' iron even better, get a Volquartsen drop in sear. The will take the trigger pull down to about 2.5lbs+/-. One other low cost mod is to install a Volquartsen Exact Edge Extrator if you ever have any extraction/feeding problems.

Drop in sear:(Free Shipping on all orders)
http://www.rimfiresports.com/mercha...Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC2TS&Category_Code=VC2

Extractor:(Also check with Midway, this extractor was on sale recently)
http://www.rimfiresports.com/mercha...C&Product_Code=VC10EE/VC2EE&Category_Code=VC2

bob kk

Bearcat
Not sure who makes them but I've seen rings for the Ruger base cheaper than Rugers. Could have ben at Midsouth Shooters Supply. Think you got a good buy.

Retread

Bearcat
VQ's a great outfit. Bought 2 Mk II 22/45s about 2005, 2006. Had some occasional FTE that the Volquartzen Exact Edge Extractors I installed completely eliminated.