Mini 14 review ...UPDATE-PICS ADDED AND MORE QUESTIONS!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
OK, so I finally got to take my tactical mini 14 to the range and beat up on some paper. Warnings of poor accuracy concerned me initially but after the range visit those concerns vanished. 25 and 50 yards were extremely accurate and when I nailed a left over clay pigeon at 100 yards on the first shot I was extremely pleased. I shot some paper as well and will post some pics later. I shot seated at a bench rest as this is the only permissible way to shoot at the club range.

However, there were two hiccups that I believe may or may not be mag related. The new purchase included two 20 round Ruger mags and the first one shot flawlessly. But the second two problems, about the 3rd round the rifle failed to cycle. I lean towards a light charge on the Hornady factory round (I was shooting Horady .223 Rem 55 gr FMJ BT) but could it be a mag problem as well? All then went well until the last two rounds, the next to last round fired and ejected, but the final round ejected along with it! Could this be just a very powerful, not broken in yet spring/follower?

Your opinions appreciated. All in all, I was extremely impressed with the gun and how little recoil there was, oh, one more thing, I read somewhere that accuracy actually increased in the Mini 14's if you used heavier bullets than 55 gr, anyone have an opinion on that as well

Thanks

EDIT: PICTURES ADDED

At 50 Yards:

At 100 Yards:

DGW1949

Hunter
Just guessing here, but I'm thinking that you have a defective magazine. Reason is, that "final round" did not get "ejected", the magazine simply spit it out. That was/is not uncommon with cheap/flimsy aftermarket mags, but the Ruger mag in question is the first factory mag I've ever heard of to do that.
A polite call to Ruger may get you a free replacement sent.....just sayin'.

As for your "heavier bullet" question, all I can say for sure is that my own Mini-14 has the same twist-rate as yours and yep, it shoots most lots of 62Grn NATO a bit more accurately than most lots of 55Grn NATO. The difference however, aint enough to write home about...meaning that either is accurate enough out of my gun to bust clay pigeons at 100 yds.
Sorry that I'm not more help on that.

DGW

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
ok, so a few more questions:

1 - what would be the best red dot (?) scope to put on my forward tactical rail (I don't want to mount it over the ejection port). I am trying to get it out further to make aiming easier. trying to get my head close enough to use the steel sights is a battle, I was constantly knocking into my safety glasses. Probably just have too big a noggin! Not looking to break the bank but don't want to cheap out either.

2 - do any of you mini 14 owners handload the .223 or 5.56 rounds? I do large bore revolver rounds, but those skinny .223/5.56 look tedious.

DGW1949

Hunter
Yeah on reloading for my revolvers and .30-cal rifles, but nope on the 223/5.56.
As for the particular 5.56 I use...I just buy it in bulk (because it's cheaper that way), and later resell the empty brass to further reduce my overall cost. No doubt that reloading my empties would be even cheaper, but you won't likely catch me messing around with 1000's of little-dinky rifle cases and my single stage press just to save another nickel. I'd rather spend the time shooting.

I'm a big/tall guy with long arms, so I've sometimes had the same problem as you describe relative to shooting-glasses vs a proper cheek weld when bench-shooting carbine-size rifles. Perhaps finding a more friendly pair of glasses will help. If not, you may have to modify the stock. Either way though, once you are able to develop/maintain a proper cheek weld, you'll find that your shooting improves a bunch.
On the other side of that coin, bench-shooting aint like real shooting, meaning that once you are able to shoot somewhere which allows you to get away from the bench, the problem you're describing may simply go away.

I don't know much about red dots but these guys do:
www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30

Hope this helped somewhat.

DGW

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
I reload 223/5.56. It's not that bad if you use the Boat Tail Bullet. A Flat Tail, you'll have to be a little more careful. With the Boat Tail, it's easier and more forgiving.................

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
Yeah on reloading for my revolvers and .30-cal rifles, but nope on the 223/5.56.
As for the particular 5.56 I use...I just buy it in bulk (because it's cheaper that way), and later resell the empty brass to further reduce my overall cost. No doubt that reloading my empties would be even cheaper, but you won't likely catch me messing around with 1000's of little-dinky rifle cases and my single stage press just to save another nickel. I'd rather spend the time shooting.

I'm a big/tall guy with long arms, so I've sometimes had the same problem as you describe relative to shooting-glasses vs a proper cheek weld when bench-shooting carbine-size rifles. Perhaps finding a more friendly pair of glasses will help. If not, you may have to modify the stock. Either way though, once you are able to develop/maintain a proper cheek weld, you'll find that your shooting improves a bunch.
On the other side of that coin, bench-shooting aint like real shooting, meaning that once you are able to shoot somewhere which allows you to get away from the bench, the problem you're describing may simply go away.

I don't know much about red dots but these guys do:
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30

Hope this helped somewhat.

DGW

Yes indeed, thanks for that link its great!

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
Chief_10Beers said:
I reload 223/5.56. It's not that bad if you use the Boat Tail Bullet. A Flat Tail, you'll have to be a little more careful. With the Boat Tail, it's easier and more forgiving.................

Thanks for the tip :)

Yep, that 100 yard target looks a lot like mine at the same distance with a mini-14 or 30. Is this a new mini with the improved barrel? If so, I'd for sure start working on both ammo choice and also some trigger work both on the gun as well as personal. Learning how to squeeze a trigger and have it trip not only at the right point in breathing but ultimately between heart beats takes just a tad bit of work.

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
You hit a clay at 100 in one try but it looks like you would have had 1 hit on a clay in 18 showing shots on the 100 yd target. Comment?

Couple of reasons:
1) clay was set up propped up on the ground giving me, possibly, a better reference point...it was my first shot at that distance and therefore I was steadier...and, of course, it could be it was just a lucky shot
2) I am a liar and was trying to impress a bunch people I don't know

From the way your question was framed I am guessing you are leaning towards choice #2

coach

Hunter
blume357 said:
Yep, that 100 yard target looks a lot like mine at the same distance with a mini-14 or 30. Is this a new mini with the improved barrel? If so, I'd for sure start working on both ammo choice and also some trigger work both on the gun as well as personal. Learning how to squeeze a trigger and have it trip not only at the right point in breathing but ultimately between heart beats takes just a tad bit of work.
Seriously, does anybody actually try to shoot between heartbeats? If my heart is beating hard enough to hear, I'm more worried about my breathing when taking a shot. :wink:

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:

Yes, definitely need some breathe control work. I'm sure polishing the trigger action would be helpful as well, I'll have to take a look at some youtube tutorials on that and see if its something I can do.
Thanks!

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
flyerdoc said:
ArmedinAZ said:
You hit a clay at 100 in one try but it looks like you would have had 1 hit on a clay in 18 showing shots on the 100 yd target. Comment?

From the way your question was framed I am guessing you are leaning towards choice #2

Not at all. The 50 yd target looks pretty good and you hit a 4"(?) target at 100 yards so the spread on the other target didn't make sense. A silhouette isn't the best target for seeing how a rifle shoots as you noted. You didn't mention your shooting setup but if it happens to be offhand then you're doing right well!

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
flyerdoc said:
ArmedinAZ said:

Not at all. The 50 yd target looks pretty good and you hit a 4"(?) target at 100 yards so the spread on the other target didn't make sense. A silhouette isn't the best target for seeing how a rifle shoots as you noted. You didn't mention your shooting setup but if it happens to be offhand then you're doing right well!

OK, thanks for the clarification. Yes, the 100 yard target hits are spread out over 10 inches. I was shooting at a bench. I, unfortunately, shoot very poorly from a bench rest position (for the most part anyway) as I just feel very uncomfortable in that seated position. I shoot much more comfortably shooting offhand standing or kneeling. Anyway, in addition to that at 100 yards I found it very difficult to pick up the middle of the target with the steel sights, the front blade more or less covered the bullseye. That probably had the most to do with the inaccuracies.

I have just purchased a cheap Simmons red dot from Wally World and will use it to determine if red dots are something that will work for me...if its a go, I will get something better built.

My club only allows seated bench rest rifle shooting due to the fact some idiot members with AR's came onto the facility and thought it was great fun to launch ballistic trajectory shots into the next county and some rounds actually fell onto a road. No one was hurt, but to remain open they had to erect crossbeams of wood quite high up and you actually have to be seated to shoot under them. Not everyone who owns a gun should actually own one!