Memorial Day weekend....get those 1911's out!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Got my 1911 Cmd out for a little celebrating today!
https://youtu.be/nb71HZQU3bQ

hittman

Staff member
You've got a nice personal range there!
No video of my Commander in action but here's a pic.

Mus408

Hunter
Thanks! I really enjoy when I get this gun out for shooting as you can just pick it up and get right on target even after months of not using it.
All the smoke was from a bunch of 230 gr. hard cast lead loads I was shooting.

The hits on the paper target were from point shooting from 20 feet which I like to practice.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Mus408 said:
Got my 1911 Cmd out for a little celebrating today!
https://youtu.be/nb71HZQU3bQ

Musr408
Good shootin' nice range. I miss our range we had on our country place.
I could sit on the back deck, with a cup of coffee, and shoot all morning.
Blackie

s4s4u

Hunter
Had mine out a couple days ago:
porcupine45.jpg

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, Clovispup and I went Tuesday. She did better with her new SP101. Got in the groove with the new(ish) 1911. She was tearing the centers out of the targets. At least until she ran out of ammo. I only brought 150 rounds of .45. She's going to wear out my shoulder loading up enough ammo to keep her happy.

Oh well, the smile on her face is worth it.

Oh, and I did get to put a few rounds downrange myself.

Mike J

Hunter
I got to shoot some last Sunday for the first time in a while. I went over to my sister-in-laws & her boyfriend came out & shot with me. We played around with about 5 or 6 different guns. I figured I would stink it up pretty badly. I only shot one 7 round magazine through the SR 1911 from about 50' (I paced it off not measured but should be right within a foot or so.) My group was about 2"-2.5" wide and 1" high and about 1.5" under what I was shooting at. I do need to practice but a 1911 or my old Dan Wesson .357 makes me look like a better shot than I really am.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Train like you fight, and you will fight like you train.

When at the range, I frequently load a fresh mag, chamber a round, put the safety on, place the gun on the bench. I then pick up the gun and thumb the safety off while coming up on target. It gets me into the habit of taking the safety off, so that I have muscle memory of the motion.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I understand. I've never been in a gun fight. Shooting competition and racing, I get. I don't like it when I drop a live round in dirt, let alone throwing a mag down.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I've carried a gun off and on for much of my adult life. I've never had a reason to draw my weapon. I hope and pray I never do. I am no prepper, or obsessed with tactical readiness. I do believe that if I carry, or keep a gun ready for self defense in my home, that I should be reasonably prepared to use it competently.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
daveg.inkc said:
Mus, I have to ask, why do you drop the smooth, clean magazine in gravel? I dont see that if you are target shooting. Gun fight yes

daveg,
Dropping a mag in a gunfight, doesn't matter where it lands, I doubt if I would have time to
reload it. That is why they made three mags last year. :D
Blackie

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I got it!!! I guess if those targets were shooting back at Mus,,,,,,,,,,then he is right on!! Me,,,,,,,,,unless I'm in a shoot out I'm laying mags on table where I shoot. So I can round up my brass.

Mus408

Hunter
Those were my plinking magazines and I clean them off they still work great.
I don't throw them down all the time...only when I think you might be watching!

Thanks for watching my videos Dave! :wink:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
The mags aren't the issue as much as dirt, grit, dust that gets into your 1911. I sometimes drop a round as I'm loading and I always think how much grit is getting run thru chamber. I just like clean ammo