Magazine Supplier for Gunsite Scout in .223/5.56?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I just ordered a stainless steel, left handed Gunsite Scout in .223/5.56. It comes with a single 10 round magazine and extras are about $80 so I was wondering:

Who is the magazine supplier for these and can I buy directly from them or another less expensive source?

Do they make a lower capacity magazine, say 5-rounds, for hunting? Ruger sells smaller capacity mags for the .308 version but doesn't list them for the 5.56.

A call to Ruger's Technical Service produced no useful information at all for these questions.

Thanks for any help.

fracas714

Bearcat
Alpha Industries is the maker of the magazines, but only in steel for 5.56. I have the same Gunsite Scout as you except right hand. I assume the polymer mags will show up eventually.

fracas714

Bearcat
Let me correct myself Ruger and Alpha Industries make similar mags for the .308 Gunsite Scout. The Alpha mag appears to be a superior mag in comparison.

:? Resurrecting an old thread...

I have quite an interest in either this Gunsite Scout in .223, or the Mossberg MVP in .223. I've owned and then sold the Mossberg. I miss it.

The advantage of the Mossberg is it uses AR magazines.

The advantage (to me) of the Ruger is it's available in stainless.

What a dilemma. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I started this thread so let me add what has happened since then. It turns out the OEM mag supplier is Accurate Mags and they do offer a 5 round .223/5.56 magazine that fits the Gunsite scout. Unfortunately it's the same price as the 10-round original. AFAIK, no one makes a less expensive polymer mag.

m1911a1lvr

Bearcat
I love my GTS rifle, I have the .308 win version. Mags are expensive for them, have yet to see polymer mags besides the 5rnd ones. But it's not a big deal. Since I can have the 10 rand mag for hunting.

m1911a1lvr

Bearcat
I love my GTS rifle, I have the .308 win version. Mags are expensive for them, have yet to see polymer mags besides the 5rnd ones. But it's not a big deal. Since I can have the 10 rand mag for hunting.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
woods-walker said:
Did you look at the MDT polymer magazine?
Just now as I had no knowledge they existed before seeing your posting. It does appear they would work in the .223 GSS but they are 10-round only and a 5-round was what i was looking for. They are significantly cheaper than the Ruger/Accuracy International mags.

rufrdr

Bearcat
I'm in the process of buying a slightly used scout .223 from a fellow. I'm interested in some lower cost 10 rounders as I don't plan to hunt with it. Can anyone supply a link for the MDT magazines mentioned? I'm unable to find them.

Never mind, managed to locate them. Has anyone tried one yet in their Scout? Hate to spend the money to find out that it doesn't lock in or feed correctly.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
rufrdr said:
I'm in the process of buying a slightly used scout .223 from a fellow. I'm interested in some lower cost 10 rounders as I don't plan to hunt with it. Can anyone supply a link for the MDT magazines mentioned? I'm unable to find them.

Never mind, managed to locate them. Has anyone tried one yet in their Scout? Hate to spend the money to find out that it doesn't lock in or feed correctly.
Give MDT a call or e-mail and ask if they will work. I believe they fit any mag well that takes the Ruger supplied Accurate Mag magazine

Nebulam

Bearcat
The MDT mags do work in the 5.56 Gunsite scout. It required more upward force than the Ruger steel mag to get the magazine to lock into the rifle the first time but that smoothed out. It also doesn't seem quite as reliable as I had a double feed once while dry cycling which never happened to me with the Ruger supplied magazine. Overall it seems nearly as smooth as the Ruger mag and it's half the price, easily half the weight and about 5/8 of an inch shorter so I can't be disappointed. By the way I have 2 MDT mags and they both cycle equally well.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Is there any reason the Accuracy International poly 10 round magazine wouldn't work? They're about $40.00 each.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/accuracy-international/1378-accuracy-international-223-polymer-10-shot.html

BTW, one of the issues I had with my 308 GSR was the flimsy bottom "metal". Feels cheap and I was worried turning down the screws tight would crack the unit. I replaced it with PTG SA bottom metal and use Ruger metal factory mags, found 5 ten rounders for $40.00 each.

rufrdr

Bearcat
dfletcher said:
Is there any reason the Accuracy International poly 10 round magazine wouldn't work? They're about $40.00 each.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/accuracy-international/1378-accuracy-international-223-polymer-10-shot.html

BTW, one of the issues I had with my 308 GSR was the flimsy bottom "metal". Feels cheap and I was worried turning down the screws tight would crack the unit. I replaced it with PTG SA bottom metal and use Ruger metal factory mags, found 5 ten rounders for $40.00 each.

The AI .223 magazines work fine. I just added the PTG trigger guard/magazine well assembly to my .223 Scout. Installation was very easy, just used a nylon hammer to tap it into the stock, nice tight fit. The AI magazines are a bit loose in the PTG assembly so I wrapped a single layer of masking tape around the top of each magazine which is all it needed to tighten the rattle. The magazines feed fine.

IMG_0002_zpsrqf7nnq1.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsqdc7w8ga.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsfkti36u1.jpg