Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mailman

Bearcat
When I look at the data for a cartridge, I see the letters BC and SD with numbers after them under the bullet type pictured. Can anybody tell me what that stands for? It's been 40 years since I reloaded and I used a Speer Handbook and don't remember seeing this before. Can anybody help? Thank you.....

NikA

Buckeye
BC is ballistic coefficient, a measure of how aerodynamic the bullet is. SD is sectional density the bullet's mass divided by the bore area (in some units, don't remember what Lyman uses). Higher BC means less drag; higher SD means more penetration.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

When you use an exterior ballistics calculator program (there are a number of them, many free, on the Internet. I've used one called PointBlank for several years, available here if you want to give it a try: http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=PointBlank ), it'll want a few bits of info to do its calculations. Included will be velocity (obtained from your chronograph or estimated from book numbers), bullet weight and BC (it may ask for more.)

As you've seen, the bullet's mfr has often figured out the BC for you. I don't remember the exact details, but they kind of reverse engineer it from data measured on the range--velocities and bullet drops at various distances. Sometimes the program will include a database of common bullets, so you can plug in the catalog number and it will look up the BC for you. With the one I've used, you can "add a bullet" for future use so I'd plug in the numbers the mfr provided.

That number works within the program's formulas (algorithms if you prefer) to help determine the downrange behavior--velocity and bullet drop--you'll want to know for sighting in and other purposes. The larger the number, the better (both faster and flatter, longer) the bullet flies over a given distance.

Rick C

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
Some bullet manufacturers will get very specific on the BC of their bullets at certain velocities.
Other manufacturers will simply round out the number as a general velocity to be used.

mailman

Bearcat
Thank you to each of you that responded to my question. I never expected such a detailed reply. I've been giving it some thought to get back into reloading after 40 years. I sold my Gold Wing, my Corvette, I don't golf anymore, I don't bowl anymore so I need a hobby now that I've joined a shooting range and have 4 handguns I haven't even fired yet. Should be fun.............