Looking for Holster Maker

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike S

Bearcat
I would like to find someone ON the Forum who makes Holsters
I have a Bisley Hunter and a Ruger Old Army That need something to carry them in.
Mike

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I know Simply Rugged has deep roots on the forum, and quite a reputation (A write up in this months American Handgunner in fact).

There are a couple of others around, I cannot think of their names.

What are you looking for?

hittman

Staff member
Auction Links, Recurring Items, and Other Deals

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=b06291d4c982a110880657c27777d7d8

Announcement: Holsters by reuben_j_cogburn

Announcement: FS: Handmade Leather Concealment Holsters/ Gun Belts

www.simplyrugged.com

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
batmann said:
If he has a mold, Peters Custom Leather does fine work as well.

Thanks for the kind words. Sadly, those are two guns I do NOT have, yet!

:D

Mike Barranti does make some great rigs! See if he has the guns to make these ones for ya!

BrotherInArms

Bearcat
countryboy, aka: Ryan Grizzle, aka: R Grizzle Leather, appears to be a forum participant here, too.

I'm new here, so I don't know if he's well-known here, but he's highly-regarded on Sigforum.

I've done some more poking-around since I posted this. Looks like Tennessee Holster Company is pretty active here.

Jim

Mike S

Bearcat
Thanks every one.
Working on going thru these.
Barranti isnt taking orders at this time.
Mike

SimplyRugged

Bearcat
Barranti or Lever will do you a great job. I think Mike is just too backed up right now. (Cause he's that good)
I sure do appreciate the recommendations. another guy to look at is Cannon Gunleather Cannon Watts does good work and most folks here know him for the great guy he is.
Rob

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I don't know if I like SimplyRugged's avatar, or leather more :D ?

Whatever you do, don't let em contaminate your precious bodily fluids.

Rainman

Blackhawk
Mike:
The Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake may be the best holster ever. I have a lot of different ones and it's my favorite. I also bought Rob's chest carry system later for it. Carrying a big-bore Blackhawk in that holster set-up sure makes it easier in these mountains.

I piddle with leather myself and can verify Rob's work is excellent.

Dan

BConklin

Bearcat
You might want to try your hand at making your own holsters...seriously..

I couldn't find a holster I liked for my Old Army so I got a book, Al Stohler's "How to Make Holsters", did some research online, hit the Tandy store about an hour from my house...bought some simple tools, some veg tanned 8 ounce leather and some dye.

The book tells you very clearly how to make your own heavy paper patterns from your guns and then takes you step by step through just about the entire process...and the book only costs maybe $15. I had a blast doing it and this is what I came up with - on my very first try at leatherworking.

DSCF4359.jpg

This one's pretty complicated too - it's all hand stitched and lined with 2 ounce calfskin, has a filler at the trigger guard area and is designed so that it can be taken off without undoing the belt...but a simple unlined cowboy style holster would be a cinch and would take a lot less time to finish...maybe, as someone on another forum that got me thinking about doing this said, "a good snowy day's worth of work."

For me, it's become a whole new hobby in itself - I was up till 1 this morning making a pattern for a similar holster for my Ruger Mark II.

Mike S

Bearcat
Fantasic job BConklin.
I not sure any of those store are still in my area, But That is a thought.

Mike S

Bearcat
Yes it is.
However I have not seen a Tandy store in over 15 years and didnt think they even where around any more.
Buy the way the closet store is a hour and 45 min away.
But on a Nice day would be a joy ride !
Thanks Everyone !
Mike

BConklin

Bearcat
Be careful.....it's an addictive hobby! If you're anything like me, you'll enjoy it so much you'll be making that trip more and more often.

The nearest Tandy for me is an hour's drive and I went there 4 times in a week and a half :oops:

Feel free to contact me if you want to pick my brain. I'm no pro - but I think I gotta pretty good idea of how to do it :wink:

Latest posts