Llama 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
I am just asking out of curiousity. A buddy of mine called me a couple of weeks ago asking me what I knew about them. I told him I didn't really know as I don't have any experience with them. He called me back tonight asking me to help him with a hot water heater. When I went by he told me he had bought it & showed it to me. It appeared to be a 9mm 1911. So now I am wondering-have any of ya'all had any experience with these guns? are they any good? It seemed pretty neat. I'm going to try to get him to go shooting with me in the next couple of weeks if we can work it out.

Jim Puke

Hunter
I had one back in the 80's in 45acp. It was reliable and shot reasonably well, but it was one of those guns that I bought with no intention of keeping and let it ago a short while later.

They have been out of production for years, so parts are probably non-existent for them and and they are not 1911 clones so the parts will not interchange. I would not buy another as there are too many good quality 1911's made today that can be bought cheap.

DGW1949

Hunter
Problems that I've noted on the older Llama's:
The housing for the thumb safety/slide latch spring is attached to the frame with 2 screws. If overtightened, the housing will crack.
Mags aint the same as 1911 mags.
Parts are much harder to find than "real" 1911 parts.
Many of them were imported by Interarms (Garcia?). They've been out of business since the 80's, so there aint no factory/dealer support.

If ya get a good one though, they are decent guns.....meaning that they usualy work.

DGW

Mike J

Hunter
Thanks for the replies guys. I was kinda curious about them. I thought parts might be an issue but didn't say anything because I didn't really know. It does seem like a pretty neat little pistol.

UncleEd

Bearcat
My understanding from gun store owners and those who have been around them, i.e. smiths, is that their steel was a patented formula made from Land O Lakes butter, Skippy peanut butter and Quaker Oats oat meal and Elmer's Glue. I don't believe it but...... 8)

After he shoots it for a while, see if it loosens up.

Mike J

Hunter
I went & shot the Llama with my buddy today. It had an issue with failure to eject. Sometimes it might make 2 or 3 shots before it jammed but that is about it. I'm thinking it is probably the extractor (fired case partially out of the chamber with the next round from the mag pushing up beneath it) but I'm no gunsmith. If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it as I'd like to help him out if I can.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
From "Handgun Tests" magazine, back in the 1980's "Como se Llama? Si! El junko!"
Llama and Star died of outdated production techniques and (very) poor importation. No interchangeable parts involved in the production. Star had some nice ideas however, but poor alloy quality was a problem.
Geoff
Who notes it took decades for the world to develop a Star "Starfire .380" replacement.
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p938-black-rubber-grip.aspx