Lil Gun and 357 Max

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ajw65

Bearcat
What are some of your favorite loads with this powder? 180 gr cast and jacketed.

Coogs

Maximum
I've been using 4227 with 180,200 and 210 cast w/gas check. David Bradshaw has a few good loads that he has shared here as well as some other forums. Lee Martin, over at Singleactions.com has one or two other ones using something other than 4227. I've had no experience with Lil' Gun, though I do have an ample stock of it for a couple other calibers. Look at a burn chart for powders and see where it compares to 4227. Slow burning powders are the best in A Max revolver, In a contender or rifle any thing will do with few reservations, Coogs.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Lil Gun should make an excellent powder for the 357Max. I loaded the cartridge for a T/C Contender barrel and had outstanding accuracy with AA1680. It was easy to get 1.25" groups or better from that 14" barrel at 100 yards.

I don't recall if Lil Gun even existed at the time, that was around 1990. 1680 disappeared for a short while and I never found a better powder in the interim. There are some more recent reports of Lil Gun causing excessive flame cutting and erosion in revolvers, specifically from Freedom Arms users loading it in 45 Colt heavy loads, but I'm not aware of such issues in single shots.

This has me rethinking about pulling that barrel out and trying some new loads. It is an awesome cartridge!

jsh

Single-Sixer
I also run IMR 4227.
I am sure impressed with lilgun but I have backed way of on using it since the flame cutting reports.
I do believe the issues were more towards a revolver than a closed breech type gun?
Sure wish hodgdon would address this.
Jeff