Let's Discuss The Market For The KNVB-444SPCL (44 Stainless)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
I just realized this revolver has been out for a year now. For quite some time I have been amazed at the number that are still available for sale and the lukewarm reception it has received. This opinion, of course, is based on the assumption my information of a 500 gun run is correct.

The KRBN-355W (.357 Acusport Bisley) was a 500 gun run and I remember some comments that the gun would be "too heavy for the caliber" but the guns disappeared faster than a cat can lick It's whiskers! Try buying one now.

I know there are a lot of choices in .44 Special right now but this gun being the only stainless gun with adjustable sights and in the "Perfect Packin'" size of 4 5/8" I would have thought they would have been snapped up faster than the Bisley models. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bisley gripframe and own more than one but they are mostly on .45 Colts and a pretty little 4 5/8" .44 Magnum Stainless, guns I "stoke-up" pretty good at times and the recoil taming properties of the Bisley gripframe is a blessing. I have become soured on the idea of hot rodding a .44 Special. But I digress.

I would welcome your opinion on the matter as well as any production information you may have as to total numbers and serial number range. I know 520-20326 was test fired on 2/9/10 and was a low numbered gun. I know there is a 520-202something gun, 243 if memory serves me correctly. 520-24705 was test fired on 10/8/10.

I (and I am sure Chad) would be very much interested in numbers outside of this range if you don't mind. Robert

Rclark

Hunter
Well, I like blued revolvers myself... and preferred length of 5 1/2" barrel. The standard factory .44Spec BH was perfect. So the above mentioned revolver for me as no appeal. That's one man's opinion :) .

I have mine and it is my idea of a perfect short barreled SA. Remember, lot's of folks cried for Ruger to produce a 44spcl in the blackhawk/Vaquero platform. I would assume most folks, like me are satisfied with the offerings.

I am very happy with mine and will probably add a sherriff's model to the herd.

Dave

steve b

Single-Sixer
Well, I did pick up a blued 5.5" .44spec BH FT, and a S.S. NM Vaquero .44spec Sheriff's. Y'all are gonna have to pick up the slack ! steve b

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Rclark said:
Well, I like blued revolvers myself... and preferred length of 5 1/2" barrel. The standard factory .44Spec BH was perfect. So the above mentioned revolver for me as no appeal. That's one man's opinion :) .

2 men's opinion.. :wink: And 5.5" is as short as I would want, and make a fine companion to my 5.5" SS6....

CraigC

Hawkeye
I would've bought one had I not already a lovely custom hard chromed Old Model .44Spl in the same length.

5of7

Hunter
Rclark said:

Me too. I think that SS, while being fine for DA revolvers, destroys the ambiance of a single action gun.

What I would like is a ss single action gun with the "target grey" finish because it comes close enough to a worn off blue finish to be attractive....at least to me.

Axehandle

Buckeye
I like the stainless AND blue guns. Last count seems like I had 4 of the 4 5/8 TALO FT 44 Specials.... Started with a consecutive serial number pair, then the "T" prefixed gun, and lastly a match to one of the "D" prefix guns. Thinking I need a few more... :D

bronco45

Single-Sixer
I have two 44 Spls in the flattop mode. One is a 45/8s blued and the other is the 5.5 model. I would have purchased the stainless if they had been the first to come out, but my gun buyin funds have dried up.

gak

Buckeye
I too am a 5.5 fan, but admit I was concerned that Ruger wouldn't go "normal catalog" with the New Vaquero .44 offering (even though it did with some of the the .44 flattops) ...so ordered the blue Lipseys 4-5/8 NV hedging my bets. Still haven't even heard any rumors about the prospects for them to go ahead with regular NV production, along with more barrel lengths that suggests, but I do like the one I got as well as the stainless Sheriff .44 before it. A stainless .44 Flattop is also appealing for the reasons many think--the perfect packin' pistol. But then again so is my 3-3/4" SS Sheriff! So much so, it plans to be "warmly loaded" on my hip trout fishing in NE Az this summer. And yes if you're really back in there, it is very much bear country--no grizzlies, but still not to be trifled with!

Ruber

Single-Sixer
If that gun were offered in a .45 Conv I would jump on it. It would make a great little packin pistol, the only thing wrong for me is the cartridge.

I can't get factory ammo for it, so I'd have to load. Typically where I shop, components aren't as cheap as for the .45s for either practice or field ammo. Soo... this becomes a real connoisseurs cartridge and needs to be stoked up in order to make that short stainless revolver handle the task it was designed for, so I can't really go to any manuals and pull out load data I need all that readily.

Now if I were to go out and spend the time to work up some fancy .44 Spcl loads, ya, I'm probably going to want to shoot them through a nicely blued Bisley model, but that's just me.

gak

Buckeye
Ruber said:
If that gun were offered in a .45 Conv I would jump on it. It would make a great little packin pistol, the only thing wrong for me is the cartridge.

I can't get factory ammo for it, so I'd have to load. Typically where I shop, components aren't as cheap as for the .45s for either practice or field ammo. Soo... this becomes a real connoisseurs cartridge and needs to be stoked up in order to make that short stainless revolver handle the task it was designed for, so I can't really go to any manuals and pull out load data I need all that readily.

Now if I were to go out and spend the time to work up some fancy .44 Spcl loads, ya, I'm probably going to want to shoot them through a nicely blued Bisley model, but that's just me.

Shop Georgia Arms. Their newly loaded .44 is nice and warm and not mouse phart, great stuff and quite reasonable. They have both target (IIRC - LRN) and JHP. Even with shipping, not prohibitive.

COR

Blackhawk
The 44Spl just "fits" into a blued gun better since most of the shooters appreciate the nostalgia...SS is very rugged and durable and both of my most carried hunting guns are SS but I just like the look of the blued revolver. I wish more was put into a blued gun like some of the old S&W finishes. I'd certainly pay a bit more for a classic deep blue. Just some of my thoughts on the topic

Sugar River

Buckeye
I think the SS flat tops would be sold out if the economy was as robust as say, 10 years ago.
Folks just don't have the spare cash for non essentials.

Pete

batmann

Single-Sixer
I have both, blued and the stainless, and the stainless is my favorite. I guess I am in the minority as I happen to think Ruger SA look good in stainless and they are a lot easier to take care of. Smiths look better in blue and Rugers look better in stainless, just my opinion and we know what that is worth--------just ask my wife!

BearStopper

Blackhawk
It is a sweet unit especially with a set of Black custom grips like someone posted pics of. I think sales are only slower because of the big surge of the original Lipseys models and then the cataloging of those models. So if all they make are what are already made then they might end up being the collectors items the original Lipseys models were supposed to be. I just got my 4 5/8" Blued model on trade and it will satisfy me or else I would likely get the stainless variation. Also the prices of the stainless seem quite a bit higher on average probably due to scarcity and more recent introduction.

Dale53

Blackhawk
Please, someone direct me to a source for the SS Flattop .44 Special at a good price. I am interested. I have a 5½" model that I cherish, but it needs a "bunk mate".

Dale53