LCR Question/Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WinstonVT

Bearcat
Smorin2, Poncho53, and Mike7mm08,

Thank you all for taking the time to read my posting and responding.

Where do I begin. Maybe with and OMG!!! So, now we just found two more LCR's that were defective from the factory. The only question I have is a simple one.

Why is Ruger not being more proactive with contacting their customers with these safety concerns?

I don't know which safety concern is more serious. A revolver that when its cylinder is not properly locked-up it's trigger can still be pulled and the hammer will fall on a "potentially" misaligned chamber or that the gun's back strap actually starts to melt away within 40 rounds fired of 38+P factory ammunition?

All Ruger LCR owners please be careful and check the two spots noted in this string.

Mike7mm08, thank you so much for the information on the XD-S. By the end of the year I'm going to buy something and I think it will be either the XD-S or the new Charter Arm Bulldog/Pitbull in 45 acp. The new Charter Arms should be out soon. It's going to be a five shot snub nose revolver (I like revolver) in 45 acp wherein you don't have to use moon clips. The information I acquired so far on the new revolver is that it will weigh in between 18 and 19 ounces.

If I like what I purchase next and it suits my concealed carry needs I'll probably dump the Rugers and never look back.

I can't believe I just wrote that. The LCR's IMO where just about perfect for what I needed until all of these defects being discovered from coast-to-coast.

Poncho53

Blackhawk
I'm a Ruger-a-holic but I don't appreciate them being sneaky about recalls and such. They still haven't officially announced a recall of the SR22 Pistol. The takedown latch falls down and gets chewed away and the slide stop pin meant to absorb the recoil "hit" falls out and the damn slide gets all boogered up......

socrates007

Bearcat
I know this is an old thread, but has anybody experienced the defect mentioned here with any LCR guns made in the last year or so?

Has anybody bought a new Ruger LCR and opened the cylinder, and while the cylinder is kept open, pulled the trigger and had the trigger go all the way back? Can you fire your LCR with the cylinder open?

I just ordered a LCR in .357 magnum and am hoping that this will not be an issue. Any info from anybody regarding if this defect has been fixed is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I've got a .38 LCR made just last year. I believe it's the latest version. No problems with it at all, open or closed. Love the gun.

OldMarineVet

Bearcat
WinstonVT said:
Hi everyone. I have a LCR Question/Issue. Let me explain.
Yesterday after a very successful afternoon at the range I was in my workshop cleaning my three LCR's. All three of them are your basic 38 + P's. I have the black one with a silver cylinder, a green on with a silver cylinder, and the navy/gray one also with the silver cylinder. All three have the black (not polished) barrel. All three seemed to be manufactured in 2010 or early 2011. Anyway, while I was cleaning them I noticed that with the green one and the navy/gray one with the cylinder open you could dry fire the revolver but with the black one if the cylinder was open you could not dry fire the revolver. It seemed to me that the black LCR has some kind of internal safety to prevent the gun from firing when the cylinder latch is pressed in and the cylinder swung open. But the OD Green and Navy one would dry fire just like normal with the cylinder latch pressed in and the cylinder open.
Has anyone else notice this? Why would some LCR's be manufactured so that they can be dry fired with the cylinder open and some be manufactured so that they cannot be dry fired with the cylinder open? Is one way better than the other? Are there any safety concerns?
Look forward to hearing from anyone with knowledge of revolvers especially Ruger LCR's.

Winston, I have a completely black LCR 38 purchased new several months ago. It will not dry fire with the cylinder open.

socrates007

Bearcat
RedLabel said:
I've got a .38 LCR made just last year. I believe it's the latest version. No problems with it at all, open or closed. Love the gun.

Thank you for the info RedLabel. Glad to hear that your LCR .38 special +P doesn't have the defect.

Latest posts