LCP - How many have been produced?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Armybrat

Buckeye
Years ago, well before the pandemic, somebody posted that about 1,500,000 (first generation) had been manufactured up until that point. Of course the second generation came into being, followed by the LCP II, and now the LCP Max.

Makes me wonder what the total count is including all the newest versions.
I know Ruger won't divulge their production info publicly, but someone might have a clue?

I have bought a few myself starting with a generation 1 from early 2008, two second generation, then two more of the Max version.
I carried the first one from 2008 until early this year when it was replaced by a Max for EDC.
Now my newest, this stainless Max, will supersede that one.
Still have one second generation NIB, just keeping it for grins…or until a relative might want it.
733D8C78-DCED-47D4-A330-ECD13DB69D33.jpeg
C4C851BE-EE22-485F-85CB-C074438F6D64.jpeg

Last edited:

Al James

Hunter
They are sweet little guns! I'm going to pick up one of the SS Max pistols. The blued slide on the original max was the only thing keeping me from buying one.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
@Armybrat, how has your gen 1 LCP been for you? How many rounds, how reliable? I noticed earlier that you mentioned it in a thread about everyday carry.

Mine is a gen 2, Prescott AZ built, bought new in 2016, but have only recently been shooting it - less than 200 rounds so far. It had been perfectly reliable, but got one failure to extract with Winchester white box 95gr FMJ. It feeds hollowpoints well, though.

I'd love to know how many have been sold. Over 1,500,000 seems reasonable because they have been so popular.

it has to have been a LOT, after the first ones came out and then a recalll and then the follow up, the II, the first ones were being closed out at $149 all around here,,,sadly all of the early ones I had gotten could not ,would not shoot as well, or accurately as my first Keltec 380............... :unsure: (n)

Armybrat

Buckeye
@Armybrat, how has your gen 1 LCP been for you? How many rounds, how reliable? I noticed earlier that you mentioned it in a thread about everyday carry.

Mine is a gen 2, Prescott AZ built, bought new in 2016, but have only recently been shooting it - less than 200 rounds so far. It had been perfectly reliable, but got one failure to extract with Winchester white box 95gr FMJ. It feeds hollowpoints well, though.

I'd love to know how many have been sold. Over 1,500,000 seems reasonable because they have been so popular.
My 1st Gen LCP had about 800+ rounds through it before I gifted it to my granddaughter earlier this year.
Never had a failure of any kind with it. That's why I have bought several LCPs since that one.
But I've only shot fmj through all of mine.

Armybrat

Buckeye
it has to have been a LOT, after the first ones came out and then a recalll and then the follow up, the II, the first ones were being closed out at $149 all around here,,,sadly all of the early ones I had gotten could not ,would not shoot as well, or accurately as my first Keltec 380............... :unsure: (n)
I had a Keltec P380 and traded it off because of malfunctions. However, my tiny KT P32 with hard chrome slide was a reliable little shooter. Wish I still had that one, but it was traded off too after I went with the LCP.
7232AFC2-E2F3-4D30-96EC-88C3D0DF9E1D.jpeg

jav

Single-Sixer
I have a lcp2 in a 22lr it's runs only on CCI mini mags period tried lots of different ammo Aguila fed auto match does not work only CCI mini mag

I have a lcp2 in a 22lr it's runs only on CCI mini mags period tried lots of different ammo Aguila fed auto match does not work only CCI mini mag
I have an LCP 2, like CCI, and Blazers work as well as mini-mags for me. However, I probably use much more Aguila and they seem to work just fine for me. Strangely enough, while I have had problems with other calibers of Federal ammo, their .22 LR "Punch" defense ammo works fine as well.

Reactions: jav

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
Same for my Ruger MK II - 4700+ perfect rounds with CCI Mini Mags.

I almost think Ruger semiautos have kept CCI in business.

Reactions: jav

jav

Single-Sixer
Same for my Ruger MK II - 4700+ perfect rounds with CCI Mini Mags.

I almost think Ruger semiautos have kept CCI in business.
That exactly what I was thinking I think for sure they are tested with cci mini mags