LC9 Loose Front Sight ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jnichols2

Bearcat
I bought a used LC9 for a good price.

After my second range visit I noticed both the front and rear sights were moved way over to the right. In fact, they were hanging over the edge quite a bit.

The first thing I thought was the front sight had moved way over, and the guy I bought it from had moved the rear sight to compensate.

I'm just getting used to the trigger, and haven't shot decent groups yet, so I decided to move them back to center and start from there.

That's when I determined the front sight didn't seem loose to me. It wouldn't budge with a hardwood dowel and hammer. I had to get a brass drift punch, and whack it pretty to get it to move. The rear sight moved pretty easy after loosening the allen screw.

My plan is to sight it in tomorrow, then mark the front sight if needed, it's equally spaced right now. Then I'll start shooting it and see if it moves.

I know Ruger will make good if it does move. But, if it is loose, wouldn't it move with a wooden dowel and hammer? :confused:

Of course, I've also read threads about Ruger shipping out guns that way.

jnichols2

Bearcat
UPDATE

Today I tried sighting the gun in.
Worked real good for about 20 rounds, best groupings so far.
Then it started hitting 4" left.

Front sight moved right, and rear sight moved left.

Centered again, good for another 30 rounds.
POI again moved way left.

Called Ruger (928) 778-6555
Sending me a new pinned slide.
They took EXCELLENT care of me.

tjhodges310

Bearcat
I had an issue with the front site on my lc9 as well. It was actually left of center - and it was pinned that way! They made whole on it and sent me a new slide. I actually have another slide on the way as I have an issue with the extractor on this one. I noticed the spent shell casings were flying over my head instead of to my right. I am glad they are taking care of me, but a little unhappy this is my 3rd slide and I have only had the gun for 9 months.

At any rate, keep in mind your rear site will still have an allen screw in it so you can adjust for windage. You may want to tighten up before firing on the new slide. I have heard of some folks using Locktite on the allen screw so it doesn't come loose.

jnichols2

Bearcat
tjhodges310 said:
I had an issue with the front site on my lc9 as well. It was actually left of center - and it was pinned that way! They made whole on it and sent me a new slide. I actually have another slide on the way as I have an issue with the extractor on this one. I noticed the spent shell casings were flying over my head instead of to my right. I am glad they are taking care of me, but a little unhappy this is my 3rd slide and I have only had the gun for 9 months.

At any rate, keep in mind your rear site will still have an allen screw in it so you can adjust for windage. You may want to tighten up before firing on the new slide. I have heard of some folks using Locktite on the allen screw so it doesn't come loose.

But they don't use the Locktite until they verify the windage adjustment. LOL

tjhodges310

Bearcat
But they don't use the Locktite until they verify the windage adjustment. LOL[/quote]

Yeah, you might want to verify that LOL.... I don't use Locktite and it hasn't come loose.