LC9: likes/dislikes? UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
Hi all, I don't spend much time in the semiauto section, but I've been looking at the LC9s. Just curious to know what ya'll have to say about them from experience. I would use it as my primary CCW gun.

welder

Buckeye
I like mine. It is easy to carry when the occasion requires a smaller less "printing" gun, such as shorts and tee shirt and where the threats to one's safety are minimal. It is not my primary ccw gun but serves well when carried in a pocket or belly band when the G19 stays in the truck. I have about 300 rds through mine with out any glitches and it is quite accurate for me. I could live without the LCI and mag safety but it's a Ruger you know. :? The trigger is long but not too heavy. I had expected a terrible trigger based on early reports but IMO it's workable enough. Does take some getting used to though. I felt it was a good value and filled a niche in my ccw group, all the while offering a bit more power when compared to the LCP. I would recommend it based on my experience thus far.

Boge

Single-Sixer
welder said:
I like mine. It is easy to carry when the occasion requires a smaller less "printing" gun, such as shorts and tee shirt and where the threats to one's safety are minimal. It is not my primary ccw gun but serves well when carried in a pocket or belly band when the G19 stays in the truck. I have about 300 rds through mine with out any glitches and it is quite accurate for me. I could live without the LCI and mag safety but it's a Ruger you know. :? The trigger is long but not too heavy. I had expected a terrible trigger based on early reports but IMO it's workable enough. Does take some getting used to though. I felt it was a good value and filled a niche in my ccw group, all the while offering a bit more power when compared to the LCP. I would recommend it based on my experience thus far.

I agree 100% w/ Welder. It's a good little gun & I enjoy mine, but hey................can you keep a secret? :wink: The SIG p290, although more expensive, is a far better gun. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWizv9qk4N4

jmlampert23

Bearcat
I bought mine yesterday morning. I shot about 500 rounds through it and did not have one missfire. It is a great little gun accurate, light, when carrying it inside my waist band you hardly know it is there. Over all, for the money it is a great gun

Three50seven

Buckeye
Sounds like a good gun guys. I know Sig makes a great product, but they're definitely out of my price range. I carry a Taurus TCP right now, but I'm not a huge fan of the 380, plus I want something I can take out and shoot now and then without costing me an arm and a leg just in ammo!

welder

Buckeye
I think you'll be pleased with the little gun if you get it. The Sig, as Boge pointed out is indeed a good looking gun too. I let that one slip you on me and after reading up on it, I would really like to try one out.

hwilson

Bearcat
liked the size and the feel. hated the trigger. had a few light primer strike issues. sold mine and looking at the sr9c as my next purchase.

Blackbeard

Bearcat
I like mine. Very accurate shooter! Easy to conceal in a pair of Cargo Pants, and doesn't print if you use a pocket holster. I use an Uncle Mike's #4 Pocket Holster. Perfect fit!

Good 3-Dot Sights make your target easy to line up on. I'm still breaking mine in, but after I do, I'll try some Federal HST LE 147gr in it, to make sure it'll handle PD ammo before I carry it.

Cheers!

BB

Loco Weed

Bearcat
I like everything about mine EXCEPT I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I thought perhaps it was my grip or trigger control but I've had three other shooters try it and they can't do any better. Looks like I'll be contacting Ruger on this one.

Three50seven

Buckeye
I got an LC9 finally on Sunday. I paid $369 + tax, which seems to be right on par. So far my likes way out number my dislikes:

-accuracy is quite good for the type of gun it is
-carries easily
-holds comfortably (with finger extension)
-takedown and reassembly are simple and easy
-manual safety

Dislikes:
-loaded chamber indicator looks cheap and is unnecessary.
-only 1 mag included

hittman

Staff member
CDNN does (or did have) the mags with both floor plates for something like $25.00. That's where I picked up my 2nd mag.

rich642z

Single-Sixer
Blackbeard,don't use the 147 grain for your LC9. The reason why is that the bullet isn't seated far enough into the casing and you will have ftf's.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
rich642z said:
Blackbeard,don't use the 147 grain for your LC9. The reason why is that the bullet isn't seated far enough into the casing and you will have ftf's.

I've shot several magazines full of HST 147 grainers in my LC9...never experienced a single hiccup.

Three50seven

Buckeye
CDNN appears to be out of mags. Midway has them with flat floor plates for $26 and with extensions for $29, but both are currently out of stock...

cleveland

Bearcat
I picked one up a couple weeks ago. I put about 150 rounds through it. Here's my feedback.

Feel in the hand (w/extended floor plate)
Ability to conceal
Sights

Dislikes:
TRIGGER TRIGGER TRIGGER!!!
Shoots high
Inconsistent groupings

This is a pic of my first and second mag. The blue tape is covering my first mag and the uncovered is my second mag. I was shooting at 15 feet. You can see the first 4 rounds were low, and then I tried to adjust my group with the last 2 rounds. My second mag was better, but I was aiming at the top of the black circle.

If I can not overcome the issue of inconstant groups and the trigger pull, then I will be selling it.

0c9ffe4f.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
cleveland said:
Dislikes:
TRIGGER TRIGGER TRIGGER!!!
Shoots high
Inconsistent groupings

If I can not overcome the issue of inconstant groups and the trigger pull, then I will be selling it.

LOL !!! Didn't you try the trigger before you bought the gun ?? :D Looks like you've discovered (and pretty quickly) why I won't own any of Ruger's semiautos, and the P95 is one of the best in Ruger's lineup. Still waiting on the 1911 to prove itself. Ruger's semiauto DA/SA triggers are the worst on the planet. I don't know why they haven't refined them over the years. In the two guns that I owned, a P89 and a P91, there was no way to tell when the gun would go off ... the triggers were almost random in the way they released the sear. To say nothing of the 3/4 inch long pull, and varying amonts of pressure needed during the pull. If you want a great trigger, buy a 1911 in 9MM, or if you still want high capacity, try a Sig P226 or a CZ75B in your local store. All DA/SA triggers are not as bad as the Rugers.

REV

cleveland

Bearcat
I recently purchased a new SR9 and LOVE IT! If the trigger pull was the same as the SR9, I would be pretty happy with it.

Is there an aftermarket solution to the trigger?

Three50seven

Buckeye
Cleveland; I too am not a huge fan of the trigger, but...lets consider this gun's use. Looks to me like all of your shots would be center mass on a human target at 15ft. Almost all self defense altercations involving a handgun occur at less than this range, so the accuracy you achieved would be more than sufficient.

After putting a few mags through mine, I was able to get my groups down to around 2.5" at approx. 15ft, and that's good enough for me!