Kittery Trading Post

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
When I was there in 1991, Kittery had a near full-line of Ruger firearms, including most calibers for the different rifle models.
And of course, they also had some good vintage Rugers as well.
Chet15

BlkHawk73

Hunter
It's my go-to shop. Will gladly drive right past Cabela$ and another 20 minutes to go to KTP. Sure, they've changed from the "old days" (some are SO unable to handle change) but they simply followed market demand and adding a lot of income/sales potential -simple business. Like ant shop, it's hot or miss for the clerks. I've found some good ones at KTP and a few that were there more to have the "I work at a gun shop" ego trip and had limited firearm knowledge than they should've. A few clerks there REALLY know their stuff.
Their prices have become more in tune to the overall market but are still much better than Cabela$ further up the turnpike. I can but brand new at KTP for Cabela$ used prices. Not so much now but for a while they'd mis-identify models and thus, mis-price them or simply mis-price them period. Have purchased more than a couple at VERY good prices because of someone's pricing whoops.
As for their selection...being popular and their location brings people in from a wide area. That helps with the used selection. Being their own distributor (Shawmut Distributors and KTP are essentially one and the same) they can buy wholesale, sometimes factory direct because of the buying volume. For new guns, what you see is but the tip of the iceberg.
Only negative aspect I ever really encounter there are the gawkers and fondlers that have no intention, means or legal ability - MA customers - to purchase what they're pawing over. They'll tie up clerks asking for gun after gun after gun when every one is not allowed in their state. The gawkers just walk around picking up every gun they can just to work the action Hollywood style while their unattended kids do the same thing the aisle over. More than once I've come around the corner to see a kid with a rifle pointed, make that AIMED at me. Have a glare now that can almost make a kid pee himself. *evil grin* Being a regular, you learn when to go and when not to in order to avoid large crowds. Check their inventory of used guns daily.

ktpimages.jpg

kitterytp_opt.jpeg

DSCF0973.JPG

adam12

Single-Sixer
I'm a MA resident and when I was there 4 or 5 years ago I bought a Ruger #1 in .45-70. OK, you've got a nice state, but hey, don't jump on that "Masshole" bandwagon and slander all of us just because we live under the yoke of tyranny.

savit260

Bearcat
I live about 15 minutes from KTP, which some of us locals call the Kittery Whipping Post. Lot's of stuff under one roof, but honestly, better prices can be found locally on most items. Plus you have to pay Maine sales tax. I've done much better on pricing at Rieley's in Manchester N.H. and no sales tax.

It's a cool place to kill some time, but not as wallet friendly as other places locally.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Two experiences with Reiley's and those two were enough. RUDE, rude, rude... Seemed like you were bothering any clerk if you asked them anything. Needless to say, things were left on the counter and haven't been back.

@adam12...ah hhaa. I know I can't collectively group all you down their in the lands of suppression (CT included in that) but it was you that used the Masshole term. ;) Just saying. :)

powder smoke said:
No Question imo Riley,s IS THE PLACE FOR GUNS period btw technically Riley's is in Hooksett. ps

I bought my first gun at Riley's...in 1979 as I recall, a Ruger 10/22DSP with Bushnell scope for $100.00 from Dick Riley himself...he was a good man, and a good businessman too. In those days, Riley's was the place to hang out and talk guns on Saturday mornings. (Dick co-founded GONH- Gun Owners of New Hampshire and became President of the NRA).

I have bought numerous guns from Riley's as well as KTP. I would have to agree with BlkHawk73's comments, Riley's is not the same anymore unless you are one of the "in" crowd... They have gotten better of late probably because they have some new competition down the road but overall KTP's pricing is better on new guns and their selection is much better due to there size.

I always preferred Riley's in the "old days", but now I find myself taking the much longer ride to KTP more often...seem to have much better luck there, especially with used Ruger's....

YMMV

wixedmords

Blackhawk
KTP used to be better, but isn't bad as long as you stay away from weekends. Too many customers, and I have heard the most BS ever there from customers and sales people. But, it is certainly worth a stop. They have a NH FFL and can meet you over the line at a building they have for a transfer.

Riley's was a great place when Dick Riley owned it, then it went downhill with horrible staff after Dick sold it. I think they thought they were the ONLY stop for guns. Most of those bad staff have left, and a new generation of good guys is there now. There were a bunch of older gents there that didn't really care about you at all, just getting through the day, and would look at you and just walk away. I think that horrible gun store just down the street in Hooksett, forced them to get a little better. ;)
Both Riley's and KTP are great for reloading.

Dick Riley has his turn as the NRA President in the 90's, nice fella. Not sure if he has passed.

Update, Dick passed in December of 2009. Was President of the NRA from 1990-1992. Dick, we in the state and other places miss ya. Thanks for all you did. :)

Latest posts