Does anyone have the pic from this old post Flatgate put up?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mortarman0341

Bearcat
IMG_0583.jpeg

I am going to send a beater Super Blackhawk out for electroless nickel and want to fix the latch dragline first. There is a measurement in the thread but I don't know where the measurement comes from.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpeg
    IMG_0165.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0164.jpeg
    IMG_0164.jpeg
    591.9 KB · Views: 56

G2

Hunter
There are 2 methods that flatgate posted and used.
re-make the hammer plunger.
And
Welding the leg of the cylinder latch

Both adding length.

I most likely have those pictures on a old laptop, it will take a bit to dig em out.

Hopefully someone will come along with them.

G2

Hunter
1699472215871.jpeg

1699816959405.jpeg

Here's a blast from the past, posted on this back in 2010 here is the link.😁

Last edited:

G2

Hunter
FWIW: For What It's Worth;
Both method's work,,,
However know that it's definitely not a drop in/ change out sort of thing…. The reason I think they have not been offered as a buy & install Item.
My thought here: If you can't make/modify the part, you most likely don't have the ability to fit/ install it.

I have done both and it took/takes a lot of, on & off, back & forth, patience & understanding, to get it to work. The tolerances are thin.
Once dialed in it's nice, and I have a much better understanding of "How it Works" so the education was worth it.

NOTE: The part of the cylinder latch also needs to have a correct angle and edges cut & polished to better match the relationship with the cylinder. This is fairly easy fix and definitely helps with the cylinder ring. I personally do this every time when going thru all of the action parts.

However I have learned to live with the cylinder ring on most of my NM's.🙄

And while I am rambling,,, The Warning Label on the side (now on the bottom) of the barrel.… was a popular thing to remove or have it removed.
flatgate said "just turn the gun over, easy" ohhh the wisdom. It's what I do now.
Personally I'm no longer into the "LOOKS",,, I much prefer a well timed, smooth operating, comfortable, accurate shooting gun -vs- Pretty…😁

Last edited:

Mortarman0341

Bearcat
FWIW: For What It's Worth;
Both method's work,,,
However know that it's definitely not a drop in/ change out sort of thing…. The reason I think they have not been offered as a buy & install Item.
My thought here: If you can't make/modify the part, you most likely don't have the ability to fit/ install it.

I have done both and it took/takes a lot of, on & off, back & forth, patience & understanding, to get it to work. The tolerances are thin.
Once dialed in it's nice, and I have a much better understanding of "How it Works" so the education was worth it.

NOTE: The part of the cylinder latch also needs to have a correct angle and edges cut & polished to better match the relationship with the cylinder. This is fairly easy fix and definitely helps with the cylinder ring. I personally do this every time when going thru all of the action parts.

However I have learned to live with the cylinder ring on most of my NM's.🙄

And while I am rambling,,, The Warning Label on the side (now on the bottom) of the barrel.… was a popular thing to remove or have it removed.
flatgate said "just turn the gun over, easy" ohhh the wisdom. It's what I do now.
Personally I'm no longer into the "LOOKS",,, I much prefer a well timed, smooth operating, comfortable, accurate shooting gun -vs- Pretty…😁
Agree with all of the above… I have been on here more in the past than now… My handle was PastorScott but lost access to that email address. I'm a machinist by trade and do some close tolerance work on all vertical lift platforms used by the USMC. I enjoy digging into the design and mechanics of things to make them better. This particular pistol was abused but not shot and it shoots lights out so I decided to spend some $ on her. I like the patina but there is no corrosion resistance to it so since I live in NC on the coast it is imperative I do something. Making her perfect prior to sending it off will ensure she remains one of my favorite sidearms. I was familiar with Flatgate back in the day. Even chipped in on some guns for him if I remember correctly. I feel platforms such as this give a legacy to those who have much to share but would otherwise nowhere to share it. Keeping it friendly and welcoming as well as helping a wayward sole is always a way to keep things going. Thanks guys for the help and I will post when she is ready to send off them when she gets back.

Reactions: G2
I'll attempt to provide the original photo per the OP request, and I'll attempt to go back and update that old thread with Flatgate's posts.

Edited to add: it appears those old posts are archived and no edits allowed so these new images/ posts will have to fill the gap…

This one should be a bit clearer without the photobucket stuff...

NM latch fix.jpg

Last edited: