Just got my GP100 back from being chopped!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fatdaddy

Single-Sixer
eveled said:
Fatdaddy said:
Ruger makes a compact version of their rosewood/rubber grips for the factory 3" GP.

Not just the 3", the compact grip was used on all of the fixed sight guns. Sadly the compact grip is not available anymore. I agree it would go great on the OP's awesome new custom. The Hogues are comfy to shoot, but kind of hard to conceal.

I bought a replacement for mine from Numrich about a year ago but I just checked and they're sold out.

Good looking work and a fine piece there OP.

bvd1

Single-Sixer
dwayne said:
From looking at the pic', the front sight fit ain't so hot.

I thought the same after seeing the close up of the sight in the fourth picture. when I enlarged the fifth picture, it appears to have shims under the sight.

Nope, no shims. Turns out the the lug under the Millett sight is just a hair longer than a Ruger made front sight, and is hitting the top of the plunger. I may just keep the Ruger sight in there and paint it, or I might grind down the Millett a bit. Have not decided yet.

I've had Ahlman's do custom work on a number of guns and have always been very satisfied with the work, the timing, and the price.

But I didn't know they took on THIS kind of work! Hmmmmm. Custom GP-100.....I NEED one.

Tallbald

Buckeye
That's absolutely beautiful! I too have a GP100 6 inch half lug stainless, and it's the tightest, best fitted Ruger DA I have ever owned. Bought at a Louisville gun show maybe 9 years ago, it was used but at first passed for new. When the dealer realized he had mistaken the GP for new, he apologized and reduced the price to $279 out the door, with the box and all papers.
Sure is tempting to do the same custom thing to my revolver, but each time I carry or even handle my half lug GP I feel like one of those 1950's TV detectives or patrol officers with their pencil barreled Smith 10's. I'd hate to lose that feeling (at least for now). Don

Bear Paw Jack said:
I like it. Some real thought went into that.

You have no idea! I had been contemplating getting it done ever sine I got my 4" 44 mag Redhawk in 2006. But I really wanted to have both the 6" and this 3.25". Finally, earlier this year, I found another 6" half lug for a great price, and I jumped on it.

Bear Paw Jack said:
I'd love to get a hold of some of the Millet front sights so I could do one of those. Love those sights.

The Millett I got sometime in 2004, and I wish I bought a dozen. It's too bad that Millett doesn't make them anymore. I would also love to have a gold bead front sight made.

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
I'm betting that "Ahlman's" will get a sudden increase in new business now.
Great job! Thanks for posting this.

I showed them this thread when I went back there a week later (needed more H335 :)). I hope they do get more business, just not so much that it drives prices and wait times up!

Latest posts