is this a good deal on a M77/22 in 22 Hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sam77757

Single-Sixer
My Best friend just called me and said he had a m77/22 22 hornet for sale if I wanted it. It is has Beautiful Wood on it and the over all condition is 98% or better with 2 mags and $50 scope. He is asking $550 for the gun and scope. My question is. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Sammy

737tdi

Hunter
Sammy: That's not a horrible price IMO. I would think $500 is more in the ballpark. Even with the $50? scope (who wants a cheapo scope on a nice Ruger anyway)?. If you don't mind the extra $50 buy it. New they are about $595 +or- a couple. I don't own a hornet but I do have a 22mag that is one of my favorite rifles.

Karl

sam77757

Single-Sixer
Thanks Karl

I think I'm gonna take it just wanted to make sure it was in the ballpark of what their bringing. And I agree on the scope but hey up until this year the best scope I had on my TC Prohunter was a World Class Tasco! While they are good scopes for the money. I had no idea what I was missing until I aquired a couple "Highend" and a couple midgrade scopes! Now all my Tasco's have been sold :lol:

Thanks

Sammy

737tdi

Hunter
Sammy:

I understand about the inferior scopes, I used some pretty low grade stuff in my younger years but now I go with a much better grade. When your eyesight starts going south you need some better optics. I have an ACOG on my AR and a Nikon Monarch Gold on my M77. I can shoot an asprin at 100 yds. and it ain't me it's the equiptment. Back in the USMC days I could do that with iron sights. NO more. Enjoy it when you get it. It will be a hoot I guarantee if it's like my mag.

Karl

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
If the gun is in that good of condition it isnt a terrible deal. His price is about at dealer cost for a new one plus you have a few extras. $500 is a better deal obviously but why not try $525 and see how it works out? Whats the saying? A good deal is when both parties think they got screwed or maybe it was...its a good deal when both parties think they got the best of the other guy! Another way of reasoning is don't let $25-$50 get in the way of a gun you really want...

Gaffer

Bearcat
rugerjunkie; Let us know how it shoots. I have one of those with the split bolt that locks up at the rear half of the action, not the front. Mine shoots very poorly. I am told that such rear locking actions have to much spring and movement thus inconsistantcy in bullet alignment at firing. Had mine barrel relieved, cryogenically treated and it still throws wild fliers. Good luck!

sam77757

Single-Sixer
M'BOGO said:
Ask if he keeps the scope, and knocks the $50 off.

I did just that and I asked what his bottom "best friend " price was and he said $400. Hmmmmmmm yeah I think I will lol. Pics coming soon.

sam77757

Single-Sixer
20120404121131.jpg

20120404121209.jpg

737tdi

Hunter
Wow, smokin deal. Does he have anything other good stuff for sale?? LOL. You will love it.

Karl

Geo

Bearcat
I have an older M77-Hornet. After you buy it, send the barreled action to Randy at CPC (Connecticut Precision Chambering) and have him work his magic on it. He works wonders on these things. He will even convert it to a K-Hornet, if you want, that works well with factory magazines.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
sam77757 said:
M'BOGO said:
Ask if he keeps the scope, and knocks the $50 off.

I did just that and I asked what his bottom "best friend " price was and he said $400. Hmmmmmmm yeah I think I will lol. Pics coming soon.

COOL, sounds like you got the extra nice guy best friend price!

Hope it's a straight shooter. I've shot a heavy barreled, stock other than the trigger 77/22 Hornet. With 40 gr V-Max, and Lil-Gun at 100 yards, a .30 cal slug would cover the groups :D .

MADISON

Single-Sixer
Back in 1995 I bought a 77-22 .22 Hornet for $250.00.
Ruger Hornets are hard to find a good load for. For years I used 11.0
grains of 4227 and got a 2 1/2 inch group. Finally, I went with the old
9.9 grains of 2400 and now I get DIME SIZE groups.
I love my Ruger Hornet!