So when asking what to use.. "we cannot recommend ammo"

they replaced the mainspring housing assembly
they rebored the barrel
they adjusted the ejector..

they tested it with winchester super x with "no problems"
they said cci should work
they said federal should work..

Not sure I am happy....

we talked about third party ejector.. they said give it a try.... >>> this blows me away!!!!!

I am going to shoot a bit more... and decide next steps....

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
take that LCI out ... :D

kind of hilarious that they would tell you all of that. whats the point of a low-priced .22 if you can't shoot bulk ammo through it?

Snake45

Hawkeye
What kind of ammo are you using?

Some recent lots of Federal Bulks have had numerous underpowered rounds, which CAN give the symptoms you describe.

My Mark II will eat anything, including the blunt-nosed Winchester XPerts. So should your MIII.

mt

Single-Sixer
Ugh...my computer loads slow sometimes so could someone enlighten me as to the subject of this post? I hope it's a Ruger since you were discussing it with Ruger's customer service.

mt :?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
ElrodCod":341hpzrn said:
It sounds like they're saying their gun is junk.

I miss that interpretation somewhere. You can't expect all ammo to work flawlessly in every gun chambered for it. I hate most of the Winchester stuff and about all the bulk Remington stuff. Some shoots dirty and some has the lubed bullets that leave a build up of wax messing things up internally.
I use the bulk Federal almost exclusively and have zero issues. Can't say that about Rem and W stuff I've tried.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Yeah I've read before that thunderbolts weren't good in the mkIII. I've pretty much ran all federal bulk pack through mine and it eats it fine.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
Sounds to me like what they told you is "If an ammo doesn't work well, don't use it." That has always worked for me.

I can't tell you what kind of ammo to use either. I can tell you what I use and that's about it.

I also have no real idea what this is about, other than the OP apparently called Ruger CS about something.

jupiter

Bearcat
Having researched the pistol before purchasing.. I expected it would shoot whatever you feed it...

Since they returned it after "repair" and my conversation with them... I have put about 500 rounds thru it PROBLEM FREE...

And the ammo was a type they "DO NOT RECOMMEND"

I suspect like others... this one will load and feed everything it is fed.. They replaced and adjusted three parts.. it was NEW OUT OF THE BOX.... but it is a production piece and stuff happens...

I have considerable hope this will now be problem free for 10's of thousands of rounds...

In addition I tried an additional two new mags for it.. and both worked flawlessly.. all without aftermarket modifications such as ejectors or mag mods...

Again sorry for missing the Mark III inclusion from the begining

YMMV

BlkHawk73

Hunter
In many, many cases, a firearm will function fine with most ammo. However, with so many variables it realistically cannot be expected to work with all. Especially with .22;r ammo there's simply so many different kinds. Some of the really low powered stuff simply doesn't have the oomph to work the action. One the other end, some of the high powered stuff is too much for some actions. Find which works best in your particular firearm and stick with it.

jupiter

Bearcat
getting ammo of any type continues to be a challenge...

That said... I scored 6 (MOST THEY WOULD SELL ME) 550 packs of federal at Wally World this am... It has worked in this mark three with only one ftf and ONE stove pipe.. since the repair...

Wally in our town received one case of 550 federal and one case of the winchester 500 round... on last nights truck...

I am confident the repairs Ruger made to the weapon will allow it to eat anything I can get... OR AT LEAST I HOPE SO....

Having enough of "known to work" ammo puts the racoons, gators and hogs "at risk" on my property...

It appears the problems on my Mark III were a combination of factory adjustments and springs that were not quite right... I will know better in the next 1000 rounds...

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Also, where it's a brandy new pistol, you can expect a brief break-in period too. Just a bit of shooting kinda loosen everything up.

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I think with all this panic buying going on, some factories are putting sub standard quality bulk .22 ammo. It is not the rifles and handguns that are at fault, it is the ammo.

I have a box of bulk Remington Golden Bullet .22 ammo that Remington forgot to put priming in all the cases. I pulled the bullets on the duds, and absolutely NO PRIMING COMPOUND in the rims. Not just a few duds, but alot of duds in the box.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Thankfully I can say I haven't had a single issue with my 22/45 (although it is an older MkII version). All I shoot is bulk ammo and it's worked fine.

hpman66

Hunter
jupiter":3fcp4z6t said:
they replaced the mainspring housing assembly
they rebored the barrel
they adjusted the ejector......

Would you mind explaining what reboring the barrel means? I could understand rechambering or recrowning, but "reboring" is a new one on me. Looks like "reboring" would make the bore too large to be within specs for .22LR bullets. I would think that they would have to replace the barrel or to would have to replace the whole barrel/receiver assembly rather than "rebore".

martyj

Blackhawk
Snake45":37q843hk said:
What kind of ammo are you using?

Some recent lots of Federal Bulks have had numerous underpowered rounds, which CAN give the symptoms you describe.

My Mark II will eat anything, including the blunt-nosed Winchester XPerts. So should your MIII.

I had one of them tonight in my single six. It didnt even sound right when it went off.
I do have to admit though my mark 1s love that cheap federal ammo. I tried everything from match to target to high dollar stuff.

well there is some truth to what they say and having 'serviced' all makes and models of MOST firearms in three different shops for the past almost 40 years, I often will tell folks ,pretty close to the same thing,BUT they should "try" and see what works in their gun as well as whats "accurate" in their gun.......have seen LOTS of issues with some of the bulk ammo over the years ,as well as trouble even between LOT numbers , of some of the better brands, they all have trouble from time to time,,,,and then this may become a "wives tale" or "folk lore", so what works for YOU< then use it, me? I stay away from most of that stuff, unless its the ONLY thing handy, or at the range when we go shoot........same for 'target loads, ( standard velocity) thats all we use in most of our guns, especially the 'semi-autos'...why beat the crap outta your gun with 'hyper velocity, Yellow Jackets and Stingers........when it comes to any of the revolvers will "mix and match" about anything that will go in the chamber, but hate to clean all the fouling, leading and splatter from "soft, bulk ammo" (it's "cheap for a reason....")...... just MY .02 cents..........