Ill fitting grips.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

El Guapo

Bearcat
I've got two 1960's 3 screw revolvers with the XR3-Red grips frames. I've tried multiple grips that supposedly fit that frame, and none of them are close. Are they that different from the later ones?

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.
Fit can be hit and miss on these and lots of other mass produced stuff.
And if you're pretty particular ….. you're gonna need to mail your grip frame to a custom grip maker.
I'm lucky that fit on mine have always been good enough for the intended purpose.

Rclark

Hunter
you're gonna need to mail your grip frame to a custom grip maker.
+1 . Had to do that on one of mine to get a 'good' fit. Also, once I ordered slightly 'over size' and then used some elbow grease (sanding) to make a perfect fit the way a set of grips should.

El Guapo

Bearcat
I'm trying now to find some that are a bit oversized. These are undersized by close to an eighth inch on the front strap and t he back strap. They shouldn't be THAT far off.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Welcome!
I do not think I have ever had a Ruger SA that sported grips that fit. They were never uncomfortable and certainly never hurt so I never replaced any of the OEM grips.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
PS, I have to admit that I've replaced Ruger all wood grips with their own laminated grips. They're hand oil and salt resistant and less likely to crack when tightening the screw.

hittman

Staff member
That's cause they're "one size fits all" as described above.
No two grip frames are identical but usually the grips are assuming they're from the same maker.
Ruger may sell 'em but they ain't making them.

contender

Ruger Guru
What is confusing to me,, is the following; " two 1960's 3 screw revolvers with the XR3-Red grips frames."

These would have to be post 1963. And they will be Old Models.

Now,, the New Models and especially in recent years,, the grip fitment has been spotty. But all the OM XR3-RED grip frames I've seen or own have never been "undersized by close to an eighth inch on the front strap and the back strap." And in the 1960's the medallions will have a recessed eagle, black in color. The later XR3-RED grips will have a raised eagle that's silver.

It strikes me as very odd.

Can you post pictures of the grip frame markings? Can you post pictures of the grips on the guns?

I'm NOT saying you don't have an issue,, or anything like that,, I'm just confused.

And some of the posts above,, pertain to the NM design,, and yes,, you can have fitment issues with a NM.

well old model XR3 reds and the grips made by Lett , or Sile ,some came from Italy, back in the day fit pretty good over all...the newer stuff, today, seems not too, much like when the stainless Vaqueros first came out never found a pair of grips that fit the stainless guns "perfectly" the grip frames were always "proud"......:unsure:

contender

Ruger Guru
We understand the grip frames are fine. But to explain my thoughts. Sometimes there are aftermarket grip frames out there,, and that's why I was asking about the markings on them.

And as rugerguy has said,, the ones made back in the days of the Old Models,, by Lett or Sile,,all seemed to fit very well. This is why I was asking about pictures of them as well.

You mentioned buying new ones from Ruger & they fit poorly. The newer grips don't fit the older frames as good as original ones from the 60's. This is why I was asking for pictures showing the medallions. It can help us age the grips too.

I'm suspecting you may be trying out "new" XR3-RED grips on an OM gun, and that MIGHT be the reason for a poor fit.

We want to help,, but we need a bit more info to help us help you. As we like to say; "The devil is in the details!"

El Guapo

Bearcat
They definitely are new Ruger grips going on 60's grip frames. At this point I'm just going to try to find some oversize ones and fit them myself. The grips are brand new from Ruger. From all the references I've seen, the grip frames are supposed to be the same from Old Model to New Model as far as size and shape, but I'd say they must not be. Not a problem, I'll just fit some oversize ones myself.

hittman

Staff member

Maybe this will help

hittman

Staff member
See illustration in post 6 of this thread ……

Johnnu2

Hunter
Contender is "100%". ALL my old model Ruger Blackhawks had perfectly fitting grips from the factory. After "boycotting" the New Models (for 40+ years) because of the transfer bar, I finally broke down and bought a few Bisley Blackhawks. NONE of the grips fit; all were very slightly undersized to the frame. Even when I purchased new Ruger replacement grip panels, they were all undersized to each frame I owned. I was able to manipulate the replacement grip panels ever so slightly to a point where they actually fit (covered the grip frame totally as they were supposed to); then, I used Acra Glass to position each one to where it was correct. It took lots of time and patience but they've held in place and look good. Here are some pics. p.s. I know your problem of 1/8" probably doesn't apply to my "fix".

J.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,, we are now at the root of the problem. Newer grips on an older gun. As noted above,, not an uncommon thing.

If you look for a set of period correct, Old Model factory grips,, with the recessed black eagle,, you may be very surprised.

Or,, you can go the custom route. If you can find a set of oversized grips,, fit them to your gun.

Star43

Blackhawk
It can be very frustrating when trying to replace your grips. Especially if you are the one responsible for messing up the older ones in the first place. My guns are basically from the 80's mostly and the walnut grips that came on them all fit like a glove. When I overtightened them and cracked the grip, that was on me, and also all of us who overtightened them. On the other thread called Ruger Grips, Contender shared with us the way to cheaply and securily bring these broken grips back to life. He has photos of the quick fix to go to an Ace Hardware Store and buy these little white spacers one can use to keep the Ferrule to stay in the wooden frame and work correctly. I just today went to an "Ace" and bought a few of these 30 cent spacers to bring back my original walnut grips back to use. He posted pictures of the spacer and how to use it. Check those out and see the photos he posted. These photos will help you when you go to the store to buy them as they are clearly shown. It helped my "Ace" guy today when he saw his pictures. The biggest reason I post this is you could be like me. I cracked a couple of grips and tried to order the Rosewood new ones right from Ruger. Pretty laminated grips, but they didn't fit too good. They were too small. So I went back to my original ones and tried to fix them with glue and a squeeze clamp. Now I will also put the spacers in and should have no further problems. I still have the 2 new ones I bought and just put them back in their original packaging and will hang on to them anyway. Hopefully you didn't throw your old walnut ones away. One other thing, a good friend of mine had a shop for years till some bad health made him close up. Before he closed about 5 or 6 years ago as time just flies. He had a pair of Eagle grips in a nice light colored exotic wood and they fit my Single Six like an absolute glove.