If Ruger brought the Old Army back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
Howdy TA,

Do you have a plan to remove the nipples? How about some Kroil?

I'll bet the cylinder can be salvaged.

HHH

Kanook

Buckeye
Send the cylinder off to Clements and have the holes deepend while it's there. I've had 3 done on my keepers and it was well worth it to me.

k22fan

Blackhawk
If Ruger manufactures any new sizes of adjustable sighted stainless Old Armies I will buy one or more of each. The 7 1/2" ROA doesn't quite meet Washington's deer hunting requirements. IIRC WA demands an 8" barrel but I'm not sure of my memory. I'm not saying that a 220 grain slug at 900 fps won't do but a more powerful ROA would be a better deer revolver plus more of a blast to shoot.

While were chatting about the unlikely, would anyone else buy one sized for one of the larger shot sizes? How about a cap and ball indoor bullseye match? A stretch frame .50 cal. would come first of course.

Edit to add: For big game Washington requires a minimum 8" barrel "per manufacturer's specifications", .45 caliber and a 45 grain black powder charge. A stretch frame ROA would be required.

Modernhoglegs

Bearcat
Would love one with a cylinder long enough to allow a 50 to 60 gr load of fffg under a round ball and wad.

That would allow a 40gr load under a 250gr slug.
No need for a conversion cylinder

don44

Hunter
Modernhoglegs said:
Would love one with a cylinder long enough to allow a 50 to 60 gr load of fffg under a round ball and wad.

That would allow a 40gr load under a 250gr slug.
No need for a conversion cylinder
That sounds an awful lot like a Colt Walker load ! :)

H.H. Hipshot said:
Howdy TA,

Do you have a plan to remove the nipples? How about some Kroil?

I'll bet the cylinder can be salvaged.

HHH

+1 for Kroil.

I have a Pietta 1851 Navy that had severe corrosion. Long story short, the previous owner had tried to make it "safe" after loading it and losing his nerve to shoot it. He poured water in the nipples, left water standing over the balls while the pistol was stored muzzle-up in a stand, etc. She was just a little rusty, as the barrel/cylinder gap was rusted shut! :shock:

I ended up soaking the nipples (and everything else) in Kroil. After a thorough soaking, I "sacrificed" the nipples by pulling the cylinder and putting it face-down on a 2X4 on my bench. I whacked the daylights out of each nipple, with a center punch in the flash hole.

Several of the nipples broke loose, and were removed with a nipple wrench. The rest were basically smashed, then the pieces were worked out with a pick. They basically unscrewed, just in many pieces.

It took a little "intestinal fortitude" to start whacking things with a hammer, but I didn't have much in the gun. :p

If you don't like that plan, a good gunsmith or machine shop should be able to do it for you. Maybe ask around on some of the blackpowder forums. Seized nipples are nothing new...

Good luck!

edlmann

Blackhawk
Wandered into my local P&G a few years ago and walked out with this:

rugerkbp7003.jpg

I also have a gun-show-found blued model that is more of a project.

FWIW, I enjoy the Ruger sights, but they really don't look right on the ROA.

AZshooter

Bearcat
T.A. WORKMAN said:
I thought I would pass this on after I read the title of the post.

I sent a ROA Hi-Polish cylinder back to Ruger three weeks ago to have them remove to frozen nipples. Three days later Ruger Service called to inform me that they could not remove the nipples because they did not have a replacement cylinder should something go wrong removing the frozen one's. He stated that they had very few ROA parts and absolutely no cylinders.

I ask if he thought they would be made again and that made him chuckle.

Terry

I got a 7 1/2" Stainless a while back. Seller touted it as "unfired", but quickly offered reduced price when I pointed out some wear and powder residue. Looks like the original owner used some Red Loctite to secure the nipples. It took a couple of days soaking in acetone to be able to break them free. Nipples look like new after removal and clean-up, and I'll keep them as spares, aince I installed a set of #11 Ampco nipples.

drastic_quench

Bearcat
50, 36, 22 - at this point I'd buy whatever they came out with.

I wonder, at what point their marker research guys see enough Old Armies in worn condition moving on Gunbroker for $1300+ do they decide on a reintroduction?

caryc

Hawkeye
drastic_quench said:
50, 36, 22 - at this point I'd buy whatever they came out with.

I wonder, at what point their marker research guys see enough Old Armies in worn condition moving on Gunbroker for $1300+ do they decide on a reintroduction?

It's not rocket science. Imagine how many Blackhawks and Vaqueros they sell and then imagine how many Old Armys they sell or have sold. The marketing people don't have to be geniuses to see where to put their efforts.

Just because a few or even ten people here said they wanted one doesn't mean that's it's worth it for Ruger to make them. They put their efforts and resources into the items that will make them the most profit. It's just that simple.

toysoldier

Hunter
Black powder firearms got a big bost in this country with the Civil War Centennial. The interest in Civil War re-enacting got shooters interested in muzzleloading in general. TV westerns added to the nostalgia craze. Those of us who were little kids at the time grew up wanting black powder arms. Now, that herd is thinning out, and new shooters are buying high-capacity plastic semi-autos that can send prodigious quantities of lead downrange in a short time. Slow loading and careful shooting are disappearing. The high price of ROAs reflects the buying power of older enthusiasts, not a potential large market.

eveled

Hawkeye
Something else to consider. The Black Powder guns aren't considered firearms in many places. Because of this, the guy that can't get a permit to buy a modern gun can still get a black powder revolver.

I had a ball with my crappy revolver I bought from Cabelas, before I was old enough to have a pistol permit. By the time I got my permit, I had worn it out. The first modern gun I bought was a .357 Blackhawk. My dad left me his Old Army.

If my permit is ever taken away for what ever reason. My Ruger Old Army may be all that I have again. One of the reasons I will never ever sell it, and would buy another in a heart beat for a decent price.

I think bringing back a cap and ball revolver line would be a great think for Ruger to do. Ed

caryc

Hawkeye
eveled said:
Something else to consider. The Black Powder guns aren't considered firearms in many places. Because of this, the guy that can't get a permit to buy a modern gun can still get a black powder revolver.

I had a ball with my crappy revolver I bought from Cabelas, before I was old enough to have a pistol permit. By the time I got my permit, I had worn it out. The first modern gun I bought was a .357 Blackhawk. My dad left me his Old Army.

If my permit is ever taken away for what ever reason. My Ruger Old Army may be all that I have again. One of the reasons I will never ever sell it, and would buy another in a heart beat for a decent price.

I think bringing back a cap and ball revolver line would be a great think for Ruger to do. Ed

Wow, one more whole vote to bring it back. I see your reasoning 100% but you're only one vote and I don't think it pulls much weight with Ruger.

I went back and counted the votes just for people who would buy another OA. I counted votes only for Ruger's stock version of their Old Army, not what people would like to see.

So that's nine yes votes here out of 318,723,000 people in the USA. See the problem?