I just noticed on my sr40, error!?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DaGrinch

Bearcat
Wow, no way would I get rid of that! Yeah, I'd correspond with Ruger and see what the story may be on the gun and if they were aware of it or any others. I'd document as much as possible - all correspondence to Ruger would be in writing/emails, so their replies should be likewise.

It's a keeper and the more documentation you have for it, the better it will be down the road.

SAM2

Bearcat
kscott said:
Wonder how many others are out there like that.

I would have bet you dollars to doughnuts that someone in Winchell's neighborhood has a SR40c with the slide from his SR40. But that wouldn't work now would it, what with the difference in barrel length? How that got by multiple inspections is beyond me but last time I checked, Eli Wallach still lived in New York and Ruger had nobody named Tuco (the 'Ugly') on the payroll.
That kind of thing happens when a company makes different products on the same line. Back in the '80s, I bought a new Chevrolet Blazer and it was several weeks before I noticed it had a "Jimmy" badge on the right front fender.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
SAM2 said:
That kind of thing happens when a company makes different products on the same line. Back in the '80s, I bought a new Chevrolet Blazer and it was several weeks before I noticed it had a "Jimmy" badge on the right front fender.
Around the same time I was in a Dodge dealer and they had a car on the showroom floor with an "Aspen" badge on one front fender and a "Volare" badge on the other. The sales staff thought it was kind of cool and were happy to show it off.

clint_lnl

Bearcat
DaGrinch said:
Wow, no way would I get rid of that! Yeah, I'd correspond with Ruger and see what the story may be on the gun and if they were aware of it or any others. I'd document as much as possible - all correspondence to Ruger would be in writing/emails, so their replies should be likewise.

It's a keeper and the more documentation you have for it, the better it will be down the road.

and wondering. if it ever gets sent in for repairs, WOULD Ruger see the mistake and change it out before returning the gun?

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Very cool and very interesting and probably very rare. Take several more photos of it from a lot of angles in really good light, too. Document it completely and even save the contents of this thread to document your documenting it because I'll bet there aren't very many more like it and probably won't be again. I would even consider trying to find a gunsmith who is also a Notary Public, show them the pistol and have them attest to the fact that it's an SR40 with a "c" marking on the slide.

DaGrinch

Bearcat
NixieTube said:
I would even consider trying to find a gunsmith who is also a Notary Public, show them the pistol and have them attest to the fact that it's an SR40 with a "c" marking on the slide.
Good point!!

I think we're creating a little too much work here. Let's not make this more than it is. It is a mis-marked Ruger product. Not the first one, and likely not the last. And yes, they are interesting and collectible to some folks who like this stuff.

Let Chet know about it, and enjoy the fact that you have a mis-marked gun. There are any number of collectors that would like to have this gun.

WAYNO.

Definitely a keeper, I could see it being worth a lot of money especially in a few decades. Email Ruger with the pics and serial number and ask them for clarification. Save their response with the pistol's paperwork...and be very careful with it, keep it mint.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
The gun obviously left the factory as an SR proper. Yeah, that's a good idea. I'd send a letter to Ruger customer service and ask how this could happen. I'd also tell them you're happy it did.

Fast Dave

Bearcat
Wow, this is wild! One just doesn't hear about something like this every day. Definitely, keep this one! Call them & let them know of there blunder. See what they are willing to give you for this gun & or see what they will do for you regarding this gun.
An in all actuality, it's a shame that something like this even happen. Someone said it earlier "What ever happened to job quality?"
This is a friggin hand gun being made here not a box of cookies!