I had no idea how cheap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

takeoff 'uppers' for MK4 Ruger 22 pistols had become.
Got an email ad from VQ and found the shipping and transfer fees cost more than the parts. Have the new guns gotten that bad or have the 'factory ain't good enough for me' snobs simply gone overboard?

From what I've seen from a variety of Ruger 22 pistols, I've got to say "If you can outshoot the gun, you should be winning competitions right and left".
I'd like to see a 'really good" shooter take a few shots with my 22/45 just to see if it's better than my ability. The best shooter in the world can't make a bad gun shoot good but a sort of good shooter with a good gun can make a good showing every time out.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Simple economics. Supply vs demand. They likely have a large supply and little market for them so it's just smart business to try and push them out at low prices. They make a few dollars and get rid of unnecessary inventory.
Some may simply want that higher quality while still retaining the Ruger lowers, the more affordable route into a VQ. Shouldn't really matter why someone does something to their person firearm so long as it makes them happy. Look at the 10/22, the 1911... should everyone settle for how they're shipped or be able to accessorize as they choose?

IMO, they should really just start manufacturing MKIIs again. I think they would sell better than the subsequent marks do now. About the only "improvement" I'd consider is making some of the "Standard Models" with injection-molded or pressed aircraft aluminum frames or with the alloy that Wrangler frames are made of. No polymer, please!

Mobuck said:
I had no idea how cheap takeoff 'uppers' for MK4 Ruger 22 pistols had become.
Got an email ad from VQ and found the shipping and transfer fees cost more than the parts.

Agreed!

Here's a 3-pack, for $75.
https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/5398?clearance=1

I don't even have a MKIV, but it's still tempting. My FFL charges $20 for as many transfers s you want, if they're done at the same time.

Pretty easy to put together a sweet switch-barrel setup:
-one w/iron sights
-one w/tube type red dot
-one w/reflex style red dot
-one w/magnifying scope

For the cost of a MKIV, plus a out $125, I could have that setup, covering just about conceivable situation!

Hmmm… 😎

RSIno1

Hunter
Uncle Howie said:
I don't even have a MKIV, but it's still tempting. My FFL charges $20 for as many transfers s you want,
In CA it's $65 minimum each. Also the MK IV is not on the "safe handgun" list so we can't even get them here. Ruger let the MK III that had been on the list lapse so we can't even import and new or used Ruger auto into CA. (A 50+ year old one would be OK under Curio & Relic rules but most dealers want a factory letter to prove it's 50+ years old).
Here are some CA dream prices

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1779054

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1780342

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Uncle Howie said:
Mobuck said:
I had no idea how cheap takeoff 'uppers' for MK4 Ruger 22 pistols had become.
Got an email ad from VQ and found the shipping and transfer fees cost more than the parts.

Agreed!

Here's a 3-pack, for $75.
https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/5398?clearance=1

I don't even have a MKIV, but it's still tempting. My FFL charges $20 for as many transfers s you want, if they're done at the same time.

Pretty easy to put together a sweet switch-barrel setup:
-one w/iron sights
-one w/tube type red dot
-one w/reflex style red dot
-one w/magnifying scope

For the cost of a MKIV, plus a out $125, I could have that setup, covering just about conceivable situation!

Hmmm… 😎

Have had some fun aquiring as many different varieties of uppers as I can from Volquartsen: standards, targets, lites, tactcal, hunter. Have one with red dot, one is scoped.... Always looking for something I don't have. Volquartsen sells non FFL parts on the eBay store very reasonable also.No practical reason for all the uppers, just fun to have variety, suppose like collecting baseball cards or mineral samples. At least there is one thing Ruger I can afford to collect

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Mobuck said:
From what I've seen from a variety of Ruger 22 pistols, I've got to say "If you can outshoot the gun, you should be winning competitions right and left".
I'd like to see a 'really good" shooter take a few shots with my 22/45 just to see if it's better than my ability. The best shooter in the world can't make a bad gun shoot good but a sort of good shooter with a good gun can make a good showing every time out.

Ruger is the best overall .22 semi auto. At least the MKII is. But if you want to really shoot they have to be upgraded at least with a new trigger. Once you should a Clark or VQ gun you wouldn't go back. I have 4 shooters. They're all combination of Ruger and VQ parts.

"Once you should a Clark or VQ gun you wouldn't go back."
Agreed. My VQ upgraded 22/45 III is my 'bragging gun' and is a proven performer. Best display at my range was when I handed this pistol to a guy who self admittedly was "not a very good pistol shot". With me instructing him where to hold and using a couple of sandbags, he smacked the 8" swinger at the 100 yard line 3 of 5 shots.