Hunting question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
For those of you using a peep sight hunting squirells.
Do you have difficulty seeing your squirrel and front sight? How about when its still only about half light or even full light and back in the trees.

A 'peep sight' is notoriously difficult to use in low light(depending on how small the aperture is).
During my limited military service, I was a member of a military marksmanship unit and competed at the national level. All shooting was done using aperture sights and I had good eyes.
My eyes have gotten 'tired' and I've mostly transitioned to optics.
So, it's not uncommon to have difficulties using 'peep sights' in the woods.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I remove the peep aperture and use the screw in ring as a ghost ring. Then I also have the option of using the rifles sights if needed.

contender

Ruger Guru
I too used to use peep sights & even a few Ghost rings" myself. Due to my age & all, I haven't used them for hunting in a long time. Can't see enough to be an ethical hunter.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
do you shoot as accuratly with the ghost ring
Well, I would say good enough. I use the rifle as a hunting gun, not a target gun. Generally hunting with it in thick brush or timber where shots are less than 100 yards (usually less than 50) and the game could be moving. So, a 3 to 4 inch group at 100 yards would be good enough. Especially if you are talking an elk or moose shoulder. At 65, my eyes are also not as good as in my youth (20/15) but I am lucky enough to still be 20/20 at this time.

I have a large aperture peep sight on my Redhawk. When fur is seen fully in the sight, I am sure I will hit the bear somewhere. Lol It is for self defense only. I can hit reasonably well at 15 yds on paper, I will bet at 7 yds or less, I will hit something important. My first .22 rifle was a Remington single shot bolt action that had a peep sight. Small game feared me! Lol
gramps

When shooting small bore 10 meter competition, the 'bull' is approx 1/4". Having a front bead that appears that size at the target and an aperture that allows a thin margin of white target to be visible confirming a center hold was the most often used combination.

Last edited:

White Pine

Bearcat
A 'peep sight' is notoriously difficult to use in low light(depending on how small the aperture is).
During my limited military service, I was a member of a military marksmanship unit and competed at the national level. All shooting was done using aperture sights and I had good eyes.
My eyes have gotten 'tired' and I've mostly transitioned to optics.
So, it's not uncommon to have difficulties using 'peep sights' in the woods.
I was wondering about aperture sights myself. I'm 76 and the iron sights are tougher to use every year. Guess it's time for optics. I like venison, but sure don't want to lose a wounded animal in the woods.

Latest posts