Poachers get worldwide hunting ban!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
How does that get enforced? I mean, suppose they go to Africa or Russia?

But the people who issued the ban feel real good about themselves. Not defending the hunters at all, but the inability to hunt ban is unenforceable

BearBiologist

Buckeye
As I understand it, they cannot book a professional guide or get a license in any of the member nations. That's how the US bans work, anyway. A guide could lose his ticket. Of course, bribes work some places, and there are crooked guides. But it is something!! If Third World jails mimic Third World living conditions, I wouldn't want to spend any time in them!

Thanks, I just got smarter about this stuff. The third world jail comment is heavy. I have seen some documentaries about African countries protecting their natural resources. They are serious.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
The plea agreement requires that they adhere to a 4-year-long, worldwide hunting ban.

No it can not be enforced , but they agreed to " adhere " to the agreement.
It is basically taking their word for it. It's like unsupervised probation.
If it is found out that they did go some place else and hunt , then the plea agreement is off the table.

Cholo

Staff member
I would agree to a $100k fine instead of the paltry $10k. Also, they should have has all their hunting gear including rifles, 4 wheelers and trucks confiscated, literally everything. A lifetime hunting ban as well.

Stupid should be really painful! This verdict amounted to a slap on the wrist.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
When I worked for Fish & Wildlife, we had a guy get busted for poaching wolves. The ole "S-S-S" but he didn't shovel or shut-up. His daughter in law tried to ship a wolf hide to a Canadian taxidermist. According to out wolf biologist, she took the package to Fed-Ex (Located in a K-Mart) and the package started leaking blood. WaSPs were called and the blood tested as non-human. State F & W followed and determined it was canine and "likely wolf". Federal LEOs came in and determined it was from a female wolf in the Lookout Mountain Pack (there was only one female in that pack). A search disclosed photos on his computer of a male wolf. He SAID it was injured in a leg hold trap :mad: , and he merely put it out of its misery. The pictures (and the pelt) showed no damage. Other pelts and mounts showed numerous furbearers, deer, and elk taken out of season (i.e. velvet on the elk). He plead out.

I was in W.VA for a course in Scientific Writing and had no cell reception. On the way home, I called from National Airport to talk to my wife. She told me the wolf bio had called and said to tell me the plea bargain had been thrown out! I was furious!! Then she told me that the reason it was thrown out was that the judge thought it was too lenient: The sentence was $100K for the father, $25K for son, loss of all firearms, loss of truck(s), loss of computers, loss of mounts and pelts and lifetime ban. WA is part of the Western States Alliance and National coalition.

Interestingly, there had been no reports of cattle predation by wolves in that area!

Feel good rulings!!! Poachers broke the law to begin with, what will stop them in the future? Surely not a law. I think the poachers should be executed, after all, tit for tat? Wasn't their first rodeo, so to speak!
gramps

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Feel good rulings!!! Poachers broke the law to begin with, what will stop them in the future? Surely not a law. I think the poachers should be executed, after all, tit for tat? Wasn't their first rodeo, so to speak!
gramps
At least some SERIOUS jail time!!!

Latest posts