How to crimp jacketed bullets?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JamesLoren

Bearcat
HI, I am a fairly new reloader, So far i have loaded about 1500 rounds, All lead, All with a roll crimp, So ,when loading jacketed bullets, Do you use the expander plug, and flare the case mouth slightly, like with lead bullets? And what type of crimping practices are used with jacketed bullets? , The caliber i will be loading jacketed for, is the 32 H&R magnum Thanks.

Cholo

Staff member
All of the above, just like with lead bullets. Slight flaring means different things to different people. I want just enough flare to be able to barely seat the bullet in the case and not shave anything when seating. I believe most people flare too much. Firm, but not crushing, crimp...just like with lead bullets.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
JamesLoren said:
HI, I am a fairly new reloader, So far i have loaded about 1500 rounds, All lead, All with a roll crimp, So ,when loading jacketed bullets, Do you use the expander plug, and flare the case mouth slightly, like with lead bullets? And what type of crimping practices are used with jacketed bullets? , The caliber i will be loading jacketed for, is the 32 H&R magnum Thanks.
Welcome to reloading and thanks for asking our advice.

Just like lead bullets, you only need enough flare to allow the bullet to enter the case without impinging on the case mouth. With jacketed bullets this can cause the case to crumple, instead of just shaving lead. Since jacketed bullets are more precisely sized than lead, which are generally also a thousandth of an inch oversized, you can use just a little less bell/flare than with lead bullets. But the rule is the same. Have enough to insert the bullet base by hand easily. A little more is OK (it just results in cold-working the brass and shortening case life by a very small amount). A little too little will result in immediate termination of the case life, as a crumpled case is pretty much scrap brass.

Always wear safety glasses, especially when working with primers and don't pinch your fingers in your press.

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
"don't pinch your fingers in the press" is good advice. When you start to feel the pain, stop pushing on the handle! OK, seriously, I don't load the 32 H&R mag but if the jacketed bullet you use has a canalure you roll crimp into the canalure. How much crimp? A good way to check is to make a careful comparison with a factory loaded round. If your bullet has no canalure you must back off on the amount of crimp to avoid damaging the brass. I don't have any experience with "plated" bullets so if this is what you are using you should ask those folks that are familiar with them. Good luck, enjoy the hobby and Happy New Year. Gerry

41manor44

Single-Sixer
Ditto to all the advise stated here. I load the 32 H&R and use the same steps as all other calibers. The only jacketed bullets I've used are XTP's and some Sierra. Both have a canalure so very little guess work on where the crimp goes. I normally use between 3/8 and 1/2 turn on the crimp die once you have contacted the nose. My 32 is a good fun gun and very decent accuracy. Follow the load manual info and have fun loading and shooting.