How many is too many pistols ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ADP3

Single-Sixer
The "too many pistols " point is reached when you lose track of how many pistols you have and where they all are. Don't ask me how I happen to know this.

Best Regards,
ADP3

At this point in my life, I no longer collect just to collect. I buy guns to shoot and revisit guns I have regrets selling. Probably sell 2 for every 1 I buy.

When I first started out and continuing up to a few years ago, I would buy when I had the money. Lotsa fun and a clean hobby.

Dave

Joe S.

Hunter
Since i kicked the habit of building 4x4s, my gun collection has increased to satisfactory level. Maybe you have a similar habit you could give up. 4x4s, fast cars, loose women, whiskey... :mrgreen:

375supermag

Blackhawk
gtxmonte said:
Prescut said:
You've got three Ruger revolvers and a Glock. In my experience, it is rare to find those together. The revolvers are old school steel with glass rod triggers. The Glock is polymer, striker fired, wonder 9. If there are opposite, extreme poles in firearms, those two categories may be it.

You've got the symptoms of an overly broad set of choices in categories and a little too narrow set in choice of Manufacturers.

Four is nothing, and you sound like you're headed toward dozens. Find your joy, set your focus.

Prescut
Really, you find it odd that a Ruger owner would have a Glock? That's VERY common. Actually these days it's fairly odd when anyone doesn't own at least one Glock. I don't own one myself, but I don't own ANY striker fired pistols of ANY brand.

As to what OP should own.............whatever he wants

Hi...

I must be one of the few Ruger owners who doesn't own a Glock.
I have Rugers in several different calibers...BlackHawks, Super Blackhawks and Super BlackHawk Hunters. No DA Rugers and no Ruger automatics. No particular reason...just worked out that way.
I have about 50 handguns(more or less) and about a third or so are Ruger SA revolvers.

Do not own a single Glock...I did buy one(10mm Auto) as a Christmas gift for my son, though. Actually only own one polymer-framed auto pistol...an M&P .40S&W.

Most of my handguns are DA N or L frame S&W revolvers, DA Colt revolvers, 1911 automatics and various other SA revolvers with a Dan Wesson DA revolver sprinkled in here and there.

Not really a themed collection...just an eclectic combination, each of which fills a specific need for me.
And...I am always searching for another handgun or rifle or shotgun that fills a need, whether real or perceived. Right now I am searching for a Mannlicher stocked rifle in a medium caliber (.25/06 up to .308) for a reasonable price. I don't really need another medium caliber rifle...i just want a nice accurate Mannlicher stocked rifle. I think something in 6.5x55mm or 7x57mm would be about ideal. Finding one local has been nearly impossible without paying upwards of $1000 before the optics package.

Oh, well...half the fun is the hunt, right?

contender

Ruger Guru
I too fall into the group pf Ruger owners who do not own any Glocks. They just do not fit my hands. But,, we will NOT discuss my Rugeritis!

contender said:
I too fall into the group pf Ruger owners who do not own any Glocks. They just do not fit my hands. But,, we will NOT discuss my Rugeritis!

I have had three or four Glocks. Only kept one. A Glock 43 single stack. Sometimes you have buy lots of guns to figure out what you like best....just part of the addiction. :D

mistermills357

Blackhawk
Eighty is too many, that is my rule for the moment, and it is subject to change, mostly upward.
I can't answer any other part of your question, the first part of it caught my attention, and used up my energies. :lol:

wwb

Hunter
What is this "too many" of which you speak?

I have to be honest, though - in the last few years, I've reduced my inventory. I've given a couple S&W 19s to my son and sold a handful of really mint 3-screws that I never shot because they were too nice. Kept everything that I actually used, though.... and went through the same thing with my rifles. The only thing I can't seem to overcome is the urge to buy Contender barrels (in my defence, they all get used).

gtxmonte

Buckeye
If you are a "collector" there is likely no such thing as too many. If you consider yourself just a "shooter" you can certainly have too many. I fall in the latter category. Have shooter grade pistols I have not fired in several years, some that have never been fired. Why? not enough time, plus the tendency most people have with a "go to" group of firearms. I likely have about 50 pistols I should sell..........LOL!!!

As an example.......I have 5 Blackhawks in 357 mag with 4 5/8 barrels. Have 2 old models, an old flat top and 2 new models. Virtually all the same gun as far as shooting, so why do I need 5.........answer, I don't........LOL!!!!

Mus408

Hunter
Yes I have one Glock 23 which shares nightstand duty and all weather carry...a great utility gun!

contender said:

:!: I don't own a Glock not saying it good or bad just been chasing Rugers,Marlins,Savages,Stevens,Remingtons,Winchesters,Mantons,CZs,Sig Sauers & a few S&Ws............
But then again I do not own a Kimber either!
J/S

32magfan said:
I have too many pistols according to some folks I know because I cannot carry them on my person at one time. I do have a burgeoning "accumulation" of several kinds of handguns and others. I buy what I like and what I consider good deals as trade bait or profit sales in the future.

Truth be told, I do not know how many pistols I have. It is north of 100, I just haven't counted the list up lately.

I have no plans for more at the moment. However, SHOT show is just around the corner in January. I expect that Ruger, Smith & Wesson or Henry to come out with something new to "Trip my trigger". :mrgreen:

My advice is to never trade or sell something you like unless true needs like food, medicine or shelter are involved. I have regretted the times I traded a good gun for another, even when I liked the new one. I spent some years (and more $$$) replacing what once had but let go. Thanks heavens I have had sense enough not to do that with ex-wives!!!

My .02,

32Magfan
This guy is the reason it is difficult to find a Ruger for sale in Middle Tn :mrgreen:
gramps

Latest posts