How close is an Old model Blackhawk 357 cylinder to a Ruger New Vaquero 357 cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
HI all!
Have the above question! How close are they in regards to OAL, and timing, in general? In other words, could an old model cylinder be made to work in a Ruger New Vaquero 357? Thank you!

contender

Ruger Guru
Without going to double check my faded memory,, The "boss" or the piece at the face of the cylinder has a definite different length. As such, they don't swap around.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I have a 1956 Flattop .357 that I converted to.44 Spl. I tried the .44 cyl from my NM Flattop .44 and it fit. So I found a New Vaquero .44 Cylinder. It is a drop in fit. That leads me to believe a New Vaquero .357 cylinder would also work. Do you know someone that has a .357 New Vaquero or New Model Flattop .357 that will let you try their cylinder in your OM Flattop?

...it just may work as the "New" Vaquero is dimensionally smaller and more like the older framed guns as 'contender noted above the SAME "new" models, ala Blackhawk there is a deeper set back in the frame for the barrel, thus the gas ring ( seal /stub) is longer on the "new " models versus the older models............

CxG6tPEm.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I think there's some confusion about old model vs. new model .357 Cylinders.

1. New model Blackhawk .357 frames and therefore cylinders are longer than old models because they're built on the large frame. The photo above shows the difference.

2. However Old Model .357s are built on the mid-frame as we all know. But the New model FLATTOP Blackhawks and New Vaquero, except for the 44 Mag, are also built on the same size mid-frame. Therefore the old model .357s (both the flattop and the post 1962 ribbed rear sight style) cylinders do interchange with the NM Flattops and New Vaquero. The overall cyl lengths average 1.835" + or -.
The body of both old and new cylinders is 1.605" plus or minus.

My three new model FLATTOP and New Vaquero .44 Spl cylinders all interchange with my .357 cylinders in both of my old model .357 cylinders, one flattop and one with ribbed rear sight. I don't have any NM FLATTOP or New Vaquero .357s but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't also interchange with the Old Model .357s.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Excellent post Hondo.

I don't have a NM FT .357 to compare things with. But it is interesting.

The differences are shown in Dan's post. It corresponds with the depth of the barrel into the frame window. Now I'm wondering as well!

Latest posts