Homemade Press

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
My dad and I were digging through reloading supplies yesterday and came across this:

HomemadePress1.jpg

HomemadePress2.jpg

Back in the 1970's he wanted a sturdy reloading press to take the range. I guess he didn't like the commercial versions so he made his own. The main body is aluminum and the only part not done in-house was the plastic knob.

Thought some of you DIY guys would like to see it.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

A buddy can do some machine work, and what he does is nice. His brother in law has a full machine shop in his garage and before health problems put an end to his use of it, did some fantastic things out there (aerospace machinist in his "day job.")

I've told 'em over and over I'm not normally a jealous type, but I do envy those of you who "can make stuff!"

Nice work your Dad did there, Lee!

Rick C

montana outfitters

Single-Sixer
that sure looks like a Harrell press.........I got one in the living roon right now and it's anodized black but that's a Harrell........

Lee Martin

Hunter
montana outfitters said:
that sure looks like a Harrell press.........I got one in the living roon right now and it's anodized black but that's a Harrell........

It's similar, but not a Harrell. Linwood's came along in the 1980's and is a tad smaller:

BTW, the first portable press I've seen like this was machined by Ralph Stolle in the 1960's. My dad had access to it in the 70's and patterned his after it.

caryc

Hawkeye
Well Lee, I guess with all the other high tech stuff you and your Dad do, you guys just couldn't figure out how to make a plastic ball. :mrgreen: