Hawkeye serial numbers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
My "S" (letters) SN 1839 had both "S's" polished off.............."Story" says employee purchaser had fellow employee polish the gun and add SBH grip frame. Also told him to "polish out/off the "S'' ". Polisher did not know which "S" to remove so he took off the "S" on bottom front of cylinder frame and the proof "S" on top rear of barrel.......But..........the gun factory letters as an "S" 8) :wink:

chet15

Hawkeye
bigbore45colt said:
chet15 said:
But for factory "second" marked Ruger single actions, Ruger would either stamp an "S" before or after the serial number, or on the bottom of the cylinder frame ahead of the trigger guard.
Chet15

Hey Chad...sometimes Ruger wouldn't stamp them...I had a 10" 357 that was a factory second but not stamped.

Just sayin'

BB45C

Yes, I agree on that. Heard of quite a few different models that letter as "second" or "used gun" or "salesman sample" that were never marked with an "S". Bearcat #N818 is just one example.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
My "S" (letters) SN 1839 had both "S's" polished off.............."Story" says employee purchaser had fellow employee polish the gun and add SBH grip frame. Also told him to "polish out/off the "S'' ". Polisher did not know which "S" to remove so he took off the "S" on bottom front of cylinder frame and the proof "S" on top rear of barrel.......But..........the gun factory letters as an "S" 8) :wink:

Yes...which reminds me that the Hawkeye that Will Sprunger had with a Super Blackhawk grip frame did not have an "S" on the bottom of the frame either, and that one wasn't polished out at all. But it was only years later that his serial number showed up on the list of 10 "S" Hawkeyes that were made.
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Willis Sprunger 8) :D ........Gentle Giant of a MAN, gentleman, used small hand tools to work miracles in metal(cutaway standard autos & "HAWKEYE" single shot in 22 SS NM 9 1/2" upper Single Six!). NEVER HAD A LOT BUT GAVE TO OTHERS ONE HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN HE RECEIVED.........Never missed the annual NRA meetings. One of our departed Stalwarts. Proud to call him FRIEND.......MISS YOU, WILLIS.... :wink: ..

chet15

Hawkeye
Hmmm...Jerry sent me pics of the shipping sleeve for his #5 and they look eerily similar to the one in Connecticut. :roll:
Chet15

mike722

Buckeye
#26, new with box/shipper...

404698155.jpg

Hawkeye500

Bearcat
S/n 500 Had it for 25 years. I had chased Hawkeyes from $250 up past $1000 and finally ended up trading a small arsenal for this one. Originally had the Phantom 2x scope and original Bushnell holster. Sold off the Phantom on ebay maybe 5 years ago. Still use the holster as a shoulder rig. Modified a short Leupold base to sit atop the original "Hawkeye" base with longer screws passing thru original base so no modifications to gun or original base. Has had a variety of different scopes over the years, now using a 4x import. This gun is a very nice shooter that has been re-blued sometime prior to my acquisition. Prior to his death my father custom made 3 Oak presentation cases; 1 for the Hawkeye, one for pair of flattops (.44 and .357) and 1 for OM .30 and .45 LC.

I re-barreled a Marlin 1894 to .256 as a companion to my Hawkeye a few years ago. 24" tapered octagon barrel with Marbles Tang sight. Love it. Both guns are carried and shot regularly, no "Trailer Queens" here. Any of you who own multiple Hawkeyes and have never shot one are missing a real treat!

Just started new project--NM single six converting to mini Hawkeye in .17HMR. Just received my Green Mountain barrel blank and Brownells reamer! Ready to start on the breachblock. If this goes well I may have to build a Marlin companion for it too?

Does anyone have pics of the RCA limited edition miniature Hawkeyes from years ago? I can't find anything on the web regarding them.