Has anyone seen a Nambu outside of a museum?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
Does anyone here have a Nambu, or even seen one in the wild?

It's the crappy Imperial Japanese Army pistol on which l Bill Ruger loosely based the Standard/Mark design. He saw WWII bring-backs and, IIRC correctly, was impressed with how simple the design would be to manufacture, then engineered his gun to be vaguely similar but about 1000 times better and more durable!

A Nambu would be a great safe queen for a true Ruger nerd, but not something you'd shoot.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, there are a few out there. The big auctions even feature a baby Nambu here and there.
In 1964/1965 WBR built two prototypes of a Ruger Nambu design. Decided it was too militaristic so dropped the idea.
Chet15

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I have seen a few in my life, kin folks back through the years that served in various wars going back to ETO and PTO in World War II and more than a few of the Cajun side did bring back some trophies of a variety of firearms which is how I always phrase it.
A nice man let me shoot his,at an informal gravel pit shoot. It seemed like an ok military gun, didn't jam , but it had a weird,long single stage stage trigger pull.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Not a Baby, but I used to have this one. Bought it due to the Ruger connection, but sold it after a while since it wasn't the same type WBR modified. I learned quite a bit about these after I got this one but have forgotten most of it. I think I recall this being a model 14 and pretty late war production, maybe 1944, indicated by the elongated trigger guard which was a late design feature.

nambu-with-extras.jpg

nambu-left-side.jpg

JBP

Single-Sixer
Does anyone here have a Nambu, or even seen one in the wild?

It's the crappy Imperial Japanese Army pistol on which l Bill Ruger loosely based the Standard/Mark design. He saw WWII bring-backs and, IIRC correctly, was impressed with how simple the design would be to manufacture, then engineered his gun to be vaguely similar but about 1000 times better and more durable!

A Nambu would be a great safe queen for a true Ruger nerd, but not something you'd shoot.
Saw one in a gun shop once. As much as I like variety couldn't see getting it. Always can pick one up on Gunbroker.

Super Cholo

Bearcat
Yes, I had one. It was the one issued to enlisted men. The finish was a bit rougher than the officer model. I did not shoot it much as ammo was hard to find. It would go "bang". I gave it to a friend who collects weird guns. John

to answer your first question, YES we see them at most any given gun show in our area here in OHio and quite a few of the guys do collect them,,,but me having always been into the Rugers have NO desire or want to have one, keep one, yes have had them ALL over the last 60 years at one time or another and quickly pass them on to my collector friends....never know what you come across at some garage sale when the old lady down the street is selling her hubbys' "stuff" found laying around and many times, " I did NOT know he ever had any guns in the house",,,,,,,yikes......now that is when you can get the "proverbial GOOD deal".....;):cool::rolleyes:

Sturgis270

Single-Sixer
A very good friend has one that I looked at many years ago. At the time I recall I was not very impressed by it overall. I thought I remember him or someone telling me they were prone to discharging without a trigger pull? No idea if that was accurate or not.

My Grandfather sent back a lot of "Trophies" from the European Theater. My Dad not so much from the Pacific Theater. Never talked about much of anything that happened after Pearl Harbor. He got stationed in Hawaii in the 1930's from Company Town PA and the military was going to have to drag him back to the mainland.

TPopkin

Bearcat
I have a friend who is a prolific Nambu collector, one of the world's well known one, and he is selling some magnificent guns. The early one rival the Luger in fit finish and quality. I was amazed....
contact me if you want his contact [email protected]