had sbh cylinder pawl break

Help Support Ruger Forum:

remshooter

Bearcat
bought .44 mag SBH this time last year ,ironicly because i thought it was a tougher gun than my S@W mod 629 mountain gun , have shot 200 to 300 rounds thru it .last nite was watching t.v and had a-zoom snap caps in it ,and dry firing it to smooth out the trigger ,noticed it was snapping differnt ,when cock hammer cylinder did not turn looked ,cylinder pawl missing and gun rattles when shacken ..... is the cylinder pawl a MIM part? after a year hope ruger dont give me fits about sending a free return label ,they gave fits once over a p-95 with a bad exrtacotor,i guess iam starting to get tired of sending rugers back this is 3 out of 5 rugers i have owned that i have had to send back with problems..oh had a new 10-22 that got sent back three times ,and was ever right got rid of it

DGW1949

Hunter
Ya say the pawl is "missing", as-in it broke and fell out?.....where did the broken part(s) end up?

DGW

DGW1949

Hunter
Hmmm.......sounds like it's time to do some exploritory surgery.
When the time comes, be carefull with the pawl spring while reinstalling the grip frame. If ya pinch the spring just right, it won't push the pawl forward, which will cause similar symptoms to what the gun has now. Plus, you'll get to buy a new spring.

DGW

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
Not saying you don't have a broken pawl, but the revolver will rattle when shaken if the transfer bar is not securely trapped between the hammer and the frame.

MCPO

Bearcat
My Birds Head Vaquero just had the pawl break (just under 2 yrs old). Broke off at the shaft end - MIM part.

Called Ruger thinking I would have to ship it home, but CS immediately offered to mail me a new pawl. Five days later it arrived and seems to be working fine as a drop in fit. Fired 50 rds so far without a hitch.

remshooter

Bearcat
I was afraid it was mim , glad I wasn't bear hunting at the time ..lol.. ruger quality is starting to leave me cold , mim parts breaking on my kimber is why I sold it and wont buy another

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Years ago I got a Kimber 1911. I had a friend that worked at Wilson Combat. I asked how much to do a custom job on my Kimber. I was told they won't work on guns with sintered parts. I sold the kimber and won't own and gun with MIM parts. JMHO BhK