Gunsmith hourly rate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Afternoon, what does a gunsmith who's qualified to work on older smith and Ruger revolvers typically charge an hour to diagnose such as end shake, BC gap, timing. And what would they charge to fix these more common problems if an issue. Just want an idea of what to expect to pay.

TestEngineer

Bearcat
IME, the rate they charge is tiny compared to the time they take to complete the work. I've only hired a gunsmith once. He had my hammer for 3 months to complete a mod a local machine shop would have completed within 10 days. He only charged me $75, where the shop may have been as high as $150. What's your time waiting for your project to progress worth to you?

FLgun

Single-Sixer
IME, the rate they charge is tiny compared to the time they take to complete the work. I've only hired a gunsmith once. He had my hammer for 3 months to complete a mod a local machine shop would have completed within 10 days. He only charged me $75, where the shop may have been as high as $150. What's your time waiting for your project to progress worth to you?
Fair point regarding money and time.

Brownells use to publish a table of common gunsmithing jobs and the range of charges that might be encountered. I don't know if they have this on their site or in their catalog any more. Best bet is to contact local gunsmiths and just ask what their hourly rates are, and just as importantly, what their turnaround time is.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
My gunsmith used to charge $150 for a trigger job on a Smith & Wesson. He now charges $300. I haven't checked but I think he's getting $100 an hour now. Some idiot told him his rates were too low for today's market.

I can see charging 25% more for a while, them going up from there but to double just seems ridiculous.

As a gunsmith, you should know what the market can bear and then set your rates appropriately. I charge $40 per hour billable in half hours periods, if it takes me 40 minutes I charge $40. That said, many times I don't charge what I should for the amount of time spent on the repair but many times it is because I enjoyed working on the firearm so I give the person a break. Sometimes it's like collecting Rugers, the fun is in the hunt (parts, diagrams, how to's, etc.), the actual hands on the gun, and then seeing the finished product and the look on the owners face when you give them back their (in some cases what started out as a basket case) gun.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I suggest you talk to shooters near where you live and see who they suggest and what the charge. You might find bargains here and there but quite possible you won't be satisfied with results. Word of mouth is often the best advertising.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Most jobs I've seen listed on line are flat rate.
But in almost all cases hourly is less than an auto mechanic and in some case assembly line workers.
Heck minimum wage for fast food is targeted for $15 per hour nowadays.
If you are not prepared to do the job yourself don't quibble,,,, gunsmiths are a good deal.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Quite often, a small shop gunsmith spends more time on a gun than what they charge.
I would talk to them about what you want and see what they say. But $40 per hour is not uncommon.
I've met precious few well trained and equipped gunsmiths and I think you're spot on. I believe their work is not only a joy but a learning experience to boot.

Now car mechanics? Sheesh that rate book should be illegal.

Latest posts