GP100 10mm Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Hi all, considering a GP100 MC in 10mm. Anybody that owns one had any issues with bullet pull? How is it with 40 S&W, any issues with light strikes due to headspace? Accuracy? Thanks all, I'm kind of consumed with 10mm lately.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I have one,, and used to shoot it in USPSA competition. I used a lot of .40 S&W brass in the moon clips. I would occasionally get a light strike,,, (which caused a bit of cussing during a match.) I finally found that I could fix that using one of the two following "corrections."
One,, just use 10mm brass.
Two, use a thicker rimmed moon clip.

Since buying a BUNCH of thicker moons wasn't cheap,, (and I'm known to be cheap sometimes,) I chose the route of just using .10mm brass. Misfires stopped.

As for bullet pull,, I used a Dillon loader,, and a taper crimp on my ammo. PLUS,,, it was "mild" due to competition use. In USPSA,, I can use the .10mm, and it can be in the "Major" power factor ammo category. Power factor is; "Bullet weight, multiplied by velocity, then that number divided by 1000." If the final number is 165 or higher,, it's "Major PF."
Example; A 180 grn bullet going along at 925 fps would have a PF of 166.5. Major.

I never had issues with bullet pull,, BUT,,, just in case,, any ammo left in a moon clip after a stage was removed from the match, and run back through the seater & crimp dies as a precaution against it.

Hi all, considering a GP100 MC in 10mm. Anybody that owns one had any issues with bullet pull? How is it with 40 S&W, any issues with light strikes due to headspace? Accuracy? Thanks all, I'm kind of consumed with 10mm lately.
Have you actually found any 10mm revolvers for sale? I've shopped a long time and am still coming up zero.:unsure:

hittman

Staff member
There's a dozen on GB for sale. I haven't looked at completed auctions to see what they bring but $1000 in todays world wouldn't surprise me.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Yep that's where they are, Gunbroker has plenty. Honestly the 10mmm has consumed me lately and I just need to back off. I have an M&P Performance Center 10mm and I should just concentrate on that for now. Shot my .357 Match Champion today and as always it was superb.

hporter

Bearcat
I chose the route of just using .10mm brass
I found the same thing with my S&W 310 Nightguard snubby. Since it has the Scandium frame, I started off shooting mostly 40 S&W in it (to save some wear and tear), but I got light primer strikes all the time. I tried installing an aftermarket firing pin that was a little longer, but it didn't resolve the issue.

Then I did exactly as you did - and I just loaded 10mm brass to the power level I was looking for. Hasn't misfired again.