GP100 10 shot cylinder star burr removal tool

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pinshooter

Bearcat
I have seen other threads that show I'm not alone with the cylinder star burrs shown in the upper left photo. I made a tool to cleanly and easily remove the burrs. I just place the tool so the burr is in the cutter opening and first turn to the left to break off the burr, then gently turn back and forth to clean it up. The center picture shows the cleaned up results.

Since I am done with it I can send it to the next person that needs it and they can forward to next and so on. It may need sharpening at some point though, depending on how much it's used.

Just sent me a PM and cover USPS shipping.

Added note: I resharpened the tool and flame hardened/water quenched it so it has a different color now.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Maybe you could sell a few to Ruger. ...aaaaaaaaaaaah nevermind they don't have time to de-burr those stars before assembly.

dingode

Single-Sixer
When I sent mine back to Ruger I mentioned the burrs to them. If they ever send it back I'll be sure to check this first thing and if they're still there I'd like to take advantage of your generous offer.

BTW, There is a write up available on Amazon (Kindle version) about the .22 GP100. The pictures in that write-up also show the burrs on the star, so the problem isn't new. What I found more interesting was that the firing pin indents in the article look more like the ones Pinshooter has after reshaping his firing pin. I wonder if Ruger sent the reviewer an early model and they were still working on spring weights and therefore reshaped the pin themselves to have reliable ignition.

Here is a link to the Amazon article.

https://smile.amazon.com/Prisbrey-Report-2017-1-5-5-Inch-Mid-Framed-ebook/dp/B01N6MJDYU/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1493858144&sr=1-1&keywords=ruger+gp100

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
dingode said:
When I sent mine back to Ruger I mentioned the burrs to them. If they ever send it back I'll be sure to check this first thing and if they're still there I'd like to take advantage of your generous offer.

BTW, There is a write up available on Amazon (Kindle version) about the .22 GP100. The pictures in that write-up also show the burrs on the star, so the problem isn't new. What I found more interesting was that the firing pin indents in the article look more like the ones Pinshooter has after reshaping his firing pin. I wonder if Ruger sent the reviewer an early model and they were still working on spring weights and therefore reshaped the pin themselves to have reliable ignition.

Here is a link to the Amazon article.

https://smile.amazon.com/Prisbrey-Report-2017-1-5-5-Inch-Mid-Framed-ebook/dp/B01N6MJDYU/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1493858144&sr=1-1&keywords=ruger+gp100

Maybe Ruger is waiting there turn at the tool ???

dingode

Single-Sixer
Pinshooter, did you chamfer your cylinders or did the come that way from Ruger?

pinshooter

Bearcat
This revolver reminds me of those muzzle loader kits where you get unfinished barrels, un-blued parts, and a hunk of wood that is close to the shape you need to make a stock.

But it's been a fun project though, reshaping a poorly shaped hammer, fixed a bad cylinder ratchet, cylinder star burrs, an un-sanded trigger guard, modifying the firing pin, shims, springs and making my own Burris FF3 mount. The only thing I can't fix is the shallow milled front sight dovetail, but I don't need the front sight anyhow.

I have several Rugers and S&W's but this one is the only gun I ever owned that was so poorly finished.

If I wasn't retired and like to fix things, I would have returned it. I hear their service department is great, maybe they should train the production crew.

After all that I really enjoy shooting it, maybe because I was so involved with it. It is going to be a great SCSA, NSSF and bowling pin gun. Now my 617's can rest up and get a chance to cool down.

pinshooter said:
I have seen other threads that show I'm not alone with the cylinder star burrs shown in the upper left photo. I made a tool to cleanly and easily remove the burrs. I just place the tool so the burr is in the cutter opening and first turn to the left to break off the burr, then gently turn back and forth to clean it up. The center picture shows the cleaned up results.

Since I am done with it I can send it to the next person that needs it and they can forward to next and so on. It may need sharpening at some point though, depending on how much it's used.

This is a great offer. You know I already took care of mine in a different manner, but yours is a much more surgical solution.

I would suspect most folks don't even know their GP100/.22 might have these burr issues.

It's more than just unsightly poor workmanship. It could prevent the cartridge rim from fully seating in the counterbore. Here's Dingode's photo of a fired case from his GP100/22. These cylinders and extractors might have more than just one issue going on.

Thanks Pinshooter.

WAYNO.

dingode

Single-Sixer
Yeah, the bulged case is mine and one of the reasons I sent it back. The bulge is only on half the circumference though, leading me to believe the extractor was over cut a bit and isn't fully supporting the case. Wayno, did you notice Pinshooter's chambers were chamfered and there is no sign of firing pin dents even though I'm sure he's fired hundreds or probably thousands of rounds through it? I'm going to ask Ruger about that too.

Here's a picture of my cylinder I tried to zoom in on.

You can see it looks like the extractor cuts on some of the chambers appear to be too big and not fully supporting the case. I just noticed too that they beveled the outer edge of some of the ratchet teeth pretty good too, wonder why? Comparing the machining on my cylinder to your's and Pinshooter's it looks like mine isn't near as crisp, and everything has a more rounded appearance. Maybe a dull cutter left a bad finish and they over polished/sanded it and that rounded off the ratchet teeth and gave everything a less sharp look?

I called Ruger on Monday to get a status update and they said they'd call back Tuesday and they didn't. But they did call back today, the one day I slept in, and I missed the call. I left a message with the CS rep that called me and I tried calling her back numerous times throughout the day, but she never answered or returned my call. I'm not real happy... When I do get ahold of them I'm going to ask about my cylinder and hopefully get some answers and hopefully a return date. At this point, Ruger has had the gun in their possession longer than I've had it in mine.

pinshooter

Bearcat
I also have been getting bulged cases, some brands of ammo worse than others. But it also has been happening lately with my S&W's too. I think ammo is just getting cheaper (not in price).

dingode

Single-Sixer
Just talked with Ruger. Going to start a new thread about how they are resolving my issue. It's good news.

Latest posts