Getting an OM Blackhawk .357, just need to decide on barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I am going to be picking up an OM Ruger Blackhawk, a friend of mine has several in his shop. One is a very nice .357 6 1/2 inch barrel in beautiful shape, never been back to the factory, and the other is a 4 5/8 inch .357, also never been back to the factory. I like the fact I can pack the 4 5/8 inch a little better, but I love the balance of that 6 1/2 inch. Not sure which I should get. That 6 1/2 inch would really reach out and touch a whitetail at those longer ranges. Neither are Flat Tops because that would make the decision a bit easier. Both are in the same condition, and both the same price.

Spencer

Single-Sixer
You know someone was going to say get both.....so I will say it.

Get both!!!! :D

Or get one And let me know where you bought it so I can buy the other. :D

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Are you going to carry it more, or use it mostly at the range.

Hunting?

The longer barrel may be necessary if you plan to hunt with it, depending on your state's game laws. Plus you get a little velocity advantage.

Otherwise, either is fine for paper.

DGW1949

Hunter
I find the 4-5/8" version to be a lot easier to pack around than the 6-1/2". but that would only matter to a guy who actualy carried it a lot for whatever reason. On the other hand, I seem to shoot my 6-1/2" a bit better, so it's the one I'd use if I was hunting.
Then there's the "magnum" thing to consider, meaning that the 357 cartridge is basicly a hopped-up 38SPL that depends on extra bullet speed for it's extra power. So to me, if a guy wants get all he can get out of the cartridge, the gun he uses needs a longish barrel.

I guess what the choice comes down to is....what ya got planned to do with the gun. If it's to be a plinker or an occassional range gun, it don't much matter. If it's mostly to admire (nothing wrong with that either), the shorter gun seems to be more in demand, which in turn means that it'll be worth a bit more if you ever decided to resell it.

Tuff decision you got there. Is this a great country or what? :D .

DGW

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A couple of years ago I was faced with the same decision, but both had been upgraded with the transfer bar, so only worth $200, so I bought both!

Here's one:

101_0633.jpg

And, here's t'other:

100_62331.jpg

Both were put back like God intended, the short one is now a .44 Special.

May you have such fortune.

Bob Wright

DGNY

Bearcat
This is a dilemma, indeed. My 4 5/8" is a NM in SS, while the 6.5" is OM. Surprisingly, the NM is far more accurate - around 1.3" @ 25 yds with loads it likes, vs pushing 2" for the 6.5".

Wonder if it would be possible to shoot them before buying? Realize most dealers don't like to allow this. [I remember one day being allowed to try two .41 Mags at the now-closed Creekside Gunshop in Holcomb, NY. The 5.5" Redhawk was a tackdriver and the NM Ruger was so-so. Still have the Redhawk.]

All equal - I would buy the short one, just because they are so handy.

Regards,

Dyson

H-marlin

Bearcat
Do you buy a gun to pack it or shoot it? Get the one that balances better and feels better to you. A couple of inches won't make a big deal for packing.

trauma1

Single-Sixer
The increase in velocity will be negligible. 2" does not make a big enough difference there. However, 2" does make some impact in sighting radius and accuracy. Buy the one you are MOST comfortable shooting with for you intended purpose.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
David,

You probably already if you shoot short or long barrels the best. I shoot short barrels better so any advantage of a longer barre is lost on me.

This FT is now 44:

orig.jpg

This ribbed OM stayed a 357:

orig.jpg