Gary Reeder revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigC

Hawkeye
BearBio said:
CaryC has made a career of badmouthing Reeder's pistols. My pistols are bought to use, not to impress others. My shooting does that.
My name is CraigC and I live in Tennessee. CaryC (Cary Chapman) is a former gripmaker from California. If you're going to talk about folks, at least get it right.

I have "badmouthed" nothing and no one. I have made no personal comments about Reeder or his fans and I have not made any insulting comments about his guns. I have gone out of my way not to and only provide an objective assessment. Others have done that here and yet, you choose to reply to me. I've made it a habit of telling the truth about Reeder, based on actual experience and the quality of his work. I have also openly stated that his guns are a good value and that I am not opposed to owning one.

Obviously somebody cared about what your gun looks like, otherwise it wouldn't be "engraved". Whether YOU buy guns to impress yourself, others or no one at all is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the statement was made that his work is "'just as good" (recurring theme here) as that of other gunsmiths and that is simply not the case, in easily described and quantifiable ways. The point was made that Reeder's guns are less expensive and all I've done is point out the factual reasons why. I have also pointed out obvious flaws in his work and his lack in attention to detail. I have also pointed out issues in customer service that may arise and not even all I know of. It is undeniable fact that he went nuts on a potential customer who asked about getting his old parts back. Lots of folks have witnessed this behavior and no other gunsmith I know of has this reputation. Why is talking about that such a problem for you? Do you have a problem with what I said, or just the fact that I said it? Why are you guys so sensitive?

WoodyS

Single-Sixer
Craig,

I have literally dozens of Garys custom revolvers, a few from Bowen, one or two from Linebaugh, 4 or 5 FA Premiers and a few from other pistolsmiths and all I have to say is, for the most part what you show is certainly true for some revolvers but not most. A lot depends on what the condition of the customers based gun was and the budget of that customer. Sure, you always get what you pay for no matter the object and most people just want a nice custom gun built to their budget and have no desire for a 4K or 5K revolver...regardless the perfection. I along with most Reeder clients use their revolvers for actual hunting and shooting rather that just polish it and put it away for another year. Sure, if I am paying 3K more for a revolver, it damned well better be finely fitted etc., however that being said those high end revolvers DO NOT shoot any more accurately that a Reeder built revolver. Actually, my FA's will out shoot most, if not all of them...not bad for factory 2200.00 revolvers(a bit more for the ones I have with octo bbls). You have your opinions and we got ours. Sure, Gary can be a bit over the top once in awhile..but once you get to know him he truly is a fantastic, good hearted man. BTW..he does build oversized cylinders and some other work you said he doesn't...but he don't linebore as it is a waste of money. Nuff said.

WoodyS

Single-Sixer
Craig, is it really fair to compare an 1800.00 revolver to one that cost 6K or 7K? Believe me, Gary definitely has the talent to build just as fine a revolver as ANY "true" custom pistolsmith. He just chooses to build to his current client base, which I might add is pretty good for his chosen business model. I might also add that he is the ONLY one that builds his OWN frames...standard and stretch frames. Others build their stretch frames from either Ruger Maximums with the cylinder windows hogged out or on TLA's maximum frames...neither of which even remotely compare to Reeders own beefy stretch frames. I know, as I have 3 of them. Maybe some food for thought there big guy.

CraigC

Hawkeye
WoodyS said:
...for the most part what you show is certainly true for some revolvers but not most. A lot depends on what the condition of the customers based gun was and the budget of that customer. Sure, you always get what you pay for no matter the object and most people just want a nice custom gun built to their budget and have no desire for a 4K or 5K revolver...regardless the perfection.....Sure, if I am paying 3K more for a revolver, it damned well better be finely fitted etc....
I'm confused. First you say that his work is "just as good". Now you're admitting that there is a difference between his guns and those that cost more. Which is it? I started to ask how you could own so many and not know the difference but it seems you do. It would seem we agree that Gary's guns are built to fit a certain price point and that comes at the cost of fit, finish and detail work. So we have no quarrel there.

Lots of folks like what Reeder offers and I take no issue with that. How could I? Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, their own tastes and their own choices. What we are not entitled to is our own facts.

WoodyS said:
I along with most Reeder clients use their revolvers for actual hunting and shooting rather that just polish it and put it away for another year.
Ok, now Gary's guns are for using but all the others are just play pretties to be kept safely stashed away? I hate to burst your bubble but that's bovine excrement. ALL of my customs see regular holster carry, field use and blood. That holds true for most of them.

WoodyS said:
...however that being said those high end revolvers DO NOT shoot any more accurately that a Reeder built revolver. Actually, my FA's will out shoot most, if not all of them...not bad for factory 2200.00 revolvers(a bit more for the ones I have with octo bbls). You have your opinions and we got ours. Sure, Gary can be a bit over the top once in awhile..but once you get to know him he truly is a fantastic, good hearted man. BTW..he does build oversized cylinders and some other work you said he doesn't...but he don't linebore as it is a waste of money. Nuff said.
That's certainly debatable and you would seem to contradict yourself. Freedom Arms guns are linebored. So it's a waste of money on a custom but not on an FA??? According to whom, Gary? Why do you think your FA's shoot so well?

It would seem that what you call "over the top", I call unstable.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Oh and if lineboring is such a waste of money, why is he doing the maxi-throat to make up for it? I'll tell you why. Because it's quicker, easier and cheaper to do than lineboring.

WoodyS said:
Craig, is it really fair to compare an 1800.00 revolver to one that cost 6K or 7K?
You are the one who started us down that rabbit hole.
WoodyS said:
Listen here folks, for the most part the quality of workmanship is right there with any popular gunsmith..yes I can say so as I have em' from Linebaugh, FA and Bowen too......Mine(Reeders)will shoot with anyone's I can assure you.
What $6000-$7000 gun? If you're referring to mine, it was $5400. Once we subtract the real engraving, Turnbull finishes and ivory, only about $2900 is relevant to this discussion, which includes the $500 base gun and a Bisley conversion. If we take a Reeder conversion like the Ultimate Bisley I was thinking about ordering several years ago at $1700 and add $500 for a base gun, the Huntington (or Bowen, Harton, etc.) looks even better.

WoodyS said:
Believe me, Gary definitely has the talent to build just as fine a revolver as ANY "true" custom pistolsmith.
Now that I would like to see. I'm skeptical, judging by the pitted Colt in his shop.

WoodyS said:
I might also add that he is the ONLY one that builds his OWN frames...standard and stretch frames. Others build their stretch frames from either Ruger Maximums with the cylinder windows hogged out or on TLA's maximum frames...neither of which even remotely compare to Reeders own beefy stretch frames.
No he isn't, he's buying them. That's why they dried up. I will say that the stretch frame was one of the better looking options I handled in his shop. It's a shame he ran out of them.

What TLA maximum frame???

rawly1

Single-Sixer
Which watch - yes my statement is correct. He makes those revolvers because people buy them because some want them. He also makes revolvers without the bling if you don't. I'm constantly befuddled by those who are so distressed by this.

BearBio

Buckeye
Name is immaterial................ A rose by any other name........

"What is relevant is that the statement was made that his work is "'just as good" (recurring theme here) as that of other gunsmiths and that is simply not the case,"

Where did I say that? Did anyone make that statement? I have accused (and proven) in the past that you put words in people's mouth---either through misstatements or by implication...letting readers infer incorrectly. That was a favorite technique of Goebbels, BTW.

CraigC

Hawkeye
BearBio said:
Name is immaterial................ A rose by any other name........
I'm pretty sure it does matter. If you're going to "badmouth" somebody, make sure you're referencing the right person. I'm fairly certain Cary Chapman does not want to be part of this discussion.

BearBio said:
Where did I say that? Did anyone make that statement?
I didn't say you did but it's right here...
WoodyS said:
Listen here folks, for the most part the quality of workmanship is right there with any popular gunsmith..yes I can say so as I have em' from Linebaugh, FA and Bowen too......Mine(Reeders)will shoot with anyone's I can assure you.

BearBio said:
I have accused (and proven) in the past that you put words in people's mouth---either through misstatements or by implication...letting readers infer incorrectly.
Funny, that's exactly what you're doing.

BearBio said:
That was a favorite technique of Goebbels, BTW.
Now you're just being a troll.

We've established and an owner of "dozens" of Reeder guns agrees that there are distinctions to be made between Reeder guns and those of other gunsmiths and that is reflected in the costs involved. That is the gist of the discussion. No one has insulted Reeder or those who own his guns. So why do you feel the need to make it personal?

cowboy77845

Bearcat
I can't wait to shoot this thing and prove or disprove some of the previous statements. I wasn't this excited until all the replies started arriving. Broken leg heal quickly.

eveled

Hawkeye
People need to make sure they get what they pay for, and want what they are buying.

The Reeder revolvers are definitely not my taste, but I'm glad some like them, and hope they enjoy them. They come at a price that is more attainable than a full blown custom.

I'm not an expert on engraving, mostly I thought I didn't like it, but when I see a really nicely done engraving job it takes my breath away. Better to have none, than bad engraving.

Reeder's engraving reminds me of the pressed in checking you see on some rifle stocks, I'd rather have none.

This thread makes me glad I can enjoy just a plain Jane Ruger Blackhawk, I don't need a custom to make me happy.

~JM~

Single-Sixer
This one is interesting: http://www.reedercustomguns.net/forum/index.php?id=39026

WoodyS

Single-Sixer
FA revolvers shoot so accurately for many reasons..NOT just because of lineboring. One thing I am happy to say regardless the naysayers here....I am fortunate enough to have MANY talented pistolsmiths to choose from to make up my 100K+ custom revolver collection and 30K custom TC SS collection, in addition to about another 20K in custom auto's and 100K in various standard and custom rifles. Let's all be thankful we have so many very talented pistolsmiths and gunsmiths at our disposal, with all of them turning out much better custom guns than perhaps, we deserve. I like Gary because he will build me just about anything I want, the way I want and I really like his ever more wildcat cartridges...of which many are just fantastic. You just cannot get that cartridge selection from any other smith. Of course, I like all of my custom revolvers regardless of who built them. Hey, I even really like my 4 Dan Wesson revolvers...best deal going especially my beautiful and accurate factory ported 445 Supermag. BTW Craig, I like your custom revolver. It's well done.

ceadermtnboy

Blackhawk
This thread has been a blast to Follow! Gary Reeder must be doing something right to get this much conversation. I have never taken the plunge to have a custom revolver built. I have owned a Gary Reeder custom that I bought in a pawn shop in Candler NC and paid $600 bucks. It was a heavy 45 colt Blackhawk with his trail rider frame and fantastically fiited Micarta grip panels. It had sat in the shop for a long..... time due to the previous owners name being engraved on the barrel. I offered $600 (which was quickly accepted) and then called Gary to see if he would take the name off , and refinish the gun with just a vapor hone finish. I also wanted him to upgrade the cylinder & barrel to handle 454 cal. He was very nice and professional so I sent it to him. A couple days later, Gary called me and told me that it was an older build and that he now used a heavier barrel for heavy 5 shot builds. His solution was to rebuild with a new barrel, cylinder, and finish at...no charge!!!! Yep , he explained that he has a lifetime warranty for whomever owns the gun. I felt like I wanted to spend some money, so I bought a holster.

The revolver was fantastic and deadly accurate. I got the hankering for a Colt Python so I sold it a couple years later for 1200.00 bucks. Now , others may do it better , diminishing returns ?? Maybe. Pride of ownership , maybe. Would anyone else give this level of customer service ?? Don't know. But I can tell you this , I will order another from Gary one day. I give him a personal thumbs up.

MaxP

Buckeye
WoodyS said:
I might also add that he is the ONLY one that builds his OWN frames...standard and stretch frames. Others build their stretch frames from either Ruger Maximums with the cylinder windows hogged out or on TLA's maximum frames...neither of which even remotely compare to Reeders own beefy stretch frames. I know, as I have 3 of them. Maybe some food for thought there big guy.

I'm pretty sure those frames were sourced from Darvin Carda -- the "D" in D-Max, the frames that were first used by Magnum Research (before they brought their own frame to the table).

CraigC

Hawkeye
WoodyS said:
FA revolvers shoot so accurately for many reasons..NOT just because of lineboring. One thing I am happy to say regardless the naysayers here....I am fortunate enough to have MANY talented pistolsmiths to choose from to make up my 100K+ custom revolver collection and 30K custom TC SS collection, in addition to about another 20K in custom auto's and 100K in various standard and custom rifles. Let's all be thankful we have so many very talented pistolsmiths and gunsmiths at our disposal, with all of them turning out much better custom guns than perhaps, we deserve. I like Gary because he will build me just about anything I want, the way I want and I really like his ever more wildcat cartridges...of which many are just fantastic. You just cannot get that cartridge selection from any other smith. Of course, I like all of my custom revolvers regardless of who built them. Hey, I even really like my 4 Dan Wesson revolvers...best deal going especially my beautiful and accurate factory ported 445 Supermag. BTW Craig, I like your custom revolver. It's well done.
It's not rocket science. FA's shoot so well because they are linebored with perfect chamber/bore alignment, they are built with super tight tolerances with no endshake or rotational slack and they have excellent barrels. All of which is present in a custom five-shot from anyone but Reeder. Which is not an indictment against the way Reeder builds them. You can get fine accuracy with a good barrel and a conventional chambering, no question there. Most customs are built that way and the example you gave of Dan Wesson is another example of traditionally chambered revolvers that shoot very well. However, it's still one of the many reasons why Reeder guns cost so much less and are available so much more quickly.

I'm very happy for you with your $250,000 collection and "dozens" of Reeder customs. Truly. But I don't see how that alters the facts, which we would seem to agree on.

pisgah

Buckeye
This entire discussion is like the question "Which is the better motor vehicle -- a Ford F-150 or a Rolls Royce Corniche?" The F-150 might be the absolute perfect vehicle for me; some one else might see the F-150 as a shameful bucket of bolts in comparison to their finely-crafted Rolls. We're both justified in our opinions, and we'll both get from Point A to Point B just fine.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I've been around, y'know... I've never, ever met anyone who was forced to buy a custom gun from anyone.

Gary Reeder is a first-class gunsmith in a (USA) world market where we probably have seen the last generation-ish of custom gunsmiths. He hangs on despite lawyers, insurance companies, and cranky customers who make way more per hour of their time than he does.

BTW, anyone can order his work sans laser/filled engraving. And if you (open comment) don't understand the scope of his skills & specific offers, you should learn a little before proving yourself a fool. I suspect the same people who don't know this also don't know you can buy a Cadillac without gold-trim and curb feelers?

Walk a mile in the guy's shoes - you know the rest.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Reeder is at best a 3rd tier gunsmith. There's no shame in that as not everybody wants 1st or 2nd tier work or prices. However, if he is physically capable of the kind of work that would compare to something like a best grade from Bowen, Harton, Huntington, Linebaugh, etc., I have not seen it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
Reeder is at best a 3rd tier gunsmith. There's no shame in that as not everybody wants 1st or 2nd tier work or prices. However, if he is physically capable of the kind of work that would compare to something like a best grade from Bowen, Harton, Huntington, Linebaugh, etc., I have not seen it.

I opine Bowen may produce more expensive work, but I'd trust Reeder's work (and do) on long guns and single shots and most revolver work over your examples. Based on my own experiences, not what someone else tells me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts