Gary Reeder revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigC

Hawkeye
In a nutshell, they're good guns and a fair value but Gary Reeder's work fits the price point. What that means is that his conversions cost less and for a very good reason. You are simply not getting the fit, finish or bells & whistles present on most other gunsmiths' guns. His goal is quantity, not quality and there is as little hand work as possible. There is no finishing that cannot be accomplished with a heavy hand at the buffing wheel. On his conversions, you're not getting a linebored cylinder. No opening of the frame window for the largest cylinder possible. No blocking of the action. Same for the "engraving", which is actually EDM etching. You're not getting the work of a proper engraver but you're not paying for it either. There is little regard for layout with elements that seem to end before they should, others that are misaligned and some that run off the canvas. More of a "let's see where this stencil fits" sort of arrangement. Which is fine, if it appeals to you. Some folks like nekkid wimmen more than English rose & scroll but let's be honest, it's worlds away from real hand cut engraving. Overall the work is better than factory but still less than you should expect from Bowen, Harton, Horvath, Linebaugh, Huntington, Clements, Stroh, Forkin, etc..

I visited Gary's shop back in the summer of 2012. I took with me my pre-conceived notions but also an open mind. I found my pre-conceived notions to be accurate. I also found an old Colt Officer's Model Match that exhibited a poor attempt to buff out some deep barrel pitting and then a liberal application of "engraving". Looked great across the room but in hand it was an abomination. All that said, I don't rule out ever owning a Reeder gun but it will have to be the right one at the right price.

Not to even get into the personal issues I've observed over the last 15 years. Like losing his composure because a customer wants his old parts back.

Now folks can get all bent outta shape about these observations but it's the truth as I know it.

Reeder%2001.jpg

whichwatch

Blackhawk
cowboy77845 said:
Do members have any opinions on Gary Reeder custom Rugers. I bought a used one that had been in an estate. Two cylinders, 327/32-20. Called a "Coyote". I have read some on other forums that say he does good work and you either like it or you do not. Appreciate any feedback.

The key word here is "opinion", you asked so I'll give you mine while at the same time knowing that someone else may think the exact opposite of mine. Here goes:

If you like guns with gaudy and cheesy engraving on them get one. I personally think his guns are ugly, his band of followers, the "misfits" think he walks on water and drool over all of his guns and think each one is more beautiful than the last one they saw.
In his mind his opinions are the only ones that count, regardless of the topic. Neither Gary, or his guns are my cup of tea, so to speak.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
rawly1 said:
The only reason they are gaudy is because the customer wanted them that way. The reason for customs...

No, his in stock guns are also have the gaudy engraving.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
CraigC said:
In a nutshell, they're good guns and a fair value but Gary Reeder's work fits the price point. What that means is that his conversions cost less and for a very good reason. You are simply not getting the fit, finish or bells & whistles present on most other gunsmiths' guns. His goal is quantity, not quality and there is as little hand work as possible. There is no finishing that cannot be accomplished with a heavy hand at the buffing wheel. On his conversions, you're not getting a linebored cylinder. No opening of the frame window for the largest cylinder possible. No blocking of the action. Same for the "engraving", which is actually EDM etching. You're not getting the work of a proper engraver but you're not paying for it either. There is little regard for layout with elements that seem to end before they should, others that are misaligned and some that run off the canvas. More of a "let's see where this stencil fits" sort of arrangement. Which is fine, if it appeals to you. Some folks like nekkid wimmen more than English rose & scroll but let's be honest, it's worlds away from real hand cut engraving. Overall the work is better than factory but still less than you should expect from Bowen, Harton, Horvath, Linebaugh, Huntington, Clements, Stroh, Forkin, etc..

I visited Gary's shop back in the summer of 2012. I took with me my pre-conceived notions but also an open mind. I found my pre-conceived notions to be accurate. I also found an old Colt Officer's Model Match that exhibited a poor attempt to buff out some deep barrel pitting and then a liberal application of "engraving". Looked great across the room but in hand it was an abomination. All that said, I don't rule out ever owning a Reeder gun but it will have to be the right one at the right price.

Not to even get into the personal issues I've observed over the last 15 years. Like losing his composure because a customer wants his old parts back.

Now folks can get all bent outta shape about these observations but it's the truth as I know it.

Can't say I disagree with anything said here. Honestly, I can't tell if those are supposed to be birds or flowers on the side of the topstrap.

Reeder%2001.jpg

whichwatch

Blackhawk
One nice thing about this post on this forum is that Gary Reeder can't delete any of it which is what he does on his forum if he doesn't care for or agree with someone else's opinion.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Hey cowboy, All this talk about other Reeder guns, how about a picture (or a couple ) and a description of yours.
A well made 327/32-20 combo is a dream for so many of us that facts are needed .
Base gun ? Barrel length ? Sights ? and if you have had a chance , How does it shoot.
Reeder guns ? Love um or leave um . But you got this one so let's hear about it.

cowboy77845

Bearcat
Can not post pictures . Has 6 1/4" heavy bbl, gold bead front sight. Looks like a Blackhawk frame, non fluted cylinders, target crown on bbl. "327 Federal" written on opposite side of cylinder in that gold script, 32-20 also and a gold ring around cylinder at rear. I kind of like that very eye catching. An outline of a little sitting coyote on rear left side of frame, running rabbit on right rear, in gold color of course. Sucker is a lot heavier than I thought it would be, bet recoil and +P rounds are not a problem. The blue is very bright, think it might be a Kote of some kind. Seems like heavier than my 357 with 6 1/2" bbl. Have not had a chance to shoot it because of broken leg. Probably would not have seen it but I was surfing the net looking for a reasonably priced GP 100 in 327. Told my wife was the drugs that made me do it.

peyton

Single-Sixer
Now fess up and let us know what you spent on that beauty!! At least you can't admit to GWI (Gunbroker While Drunk) don't ask to many questions on purchases made while enjoying a frosty beverage.

I am a 327 fanatic and have USFA with the dual cylinders, heck I have just recently bought one box of 32-20 but I am so new to SAA's I don't know how to remove the pin in order to change the cylinders
!!

cowboy77845

Bearcat
A little north of 2K. Sold some my Pre 64 Model 70 to partially pay for it. I also like the 327. I had 32 H&R but I like this better. Am also a fan of 10mm, 45ACP and 257 Weatherby. My children are not interested in my stuff so I am winnowing it and downsizing and occasionally buying stuff I think I might like. I will also say the double gun market is severely depressed right now. I sold a new in the box Browning Sidelock and a Merkle 47E. Received 50 cents on the dollar.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I have owned one Reeder gun (a 454 Casull/455 GNR convertible). It had minimal etching on it and was quite accurate. It was probably the best looking Reeder gun that I have seen. In general, I do not like all the etching and scroll script used. However, that gun was a good shooter - I sold it for more than I bought it for...

44spl.

Bearcat
To each their own. If everyone liked the same thing, Ruger would only have to make one model.
Nice wheelgun!

WoodyS

Single-Sixer
Well folks, here is where the rubber meets the road. Yep, I'm a misfit alright. I have several dozen full custom Reeder revolvers, several Kase Reeder custom 1911's, several full custom Reeder #1's and a few custom Reeder lever guns...hell even the only revolving carbine he ever built, in 44-40. Yes, plenty are "engraved" with what I..get it, what I wanted on them, but plenty have little to none of it...depending on what "I" wanted. Yep, from .22 Old Model rimfires and .22 K-Hornets all the way up to 475Max, 475L, 500L and (2) 500 S&W's and about everything in between. Some round barrels, some octagon, some short and some long..but you know what, every one of them was built the way "I" wanted them. You know what again, they all shoot accurately and without problems...and come with a lifetime guarantee. Listen here folks, for the most part the quality of workmanship is right there with any popular gunsmith..yes I can say so as I have em' from Linebaugh, FA and Bowen too. The real kicker for most of you folks is this....to get as many full customs as I have from all those other custom smiths.....would take you several lifetimes to get built. I can have a full custom, any way I want it in < 6 months and in some cases a lot quicker. Try that with any of the others.....well maybe you will get it in a FEW years. Do you need a line bored revolver to be accurate? NOPE. Mine(Reeders)will shoot with anyone's I can assure you. To be sure, if you want a gaudy revolver or one that is plain...Gary will make you what YOU want, not charge you an arm and a leg....and you will get it before your will is read. Not bad...HUH?

Almost forgot to mention the half dozen custom Contender and Encore frames along with at least a dozen and a half custom barrels to go with them. Mostly Gary's own wildcat's...all awesome too. Hell, may as well mention the hunts he puts together every year for us too. Been to many, including an African hunt with him in 2006. Nice people too...but maybe not your cup of tea.

CraigC

Hawkeye
WoodyS said:
Well folks, here is where the rubber meets the road. Yep, I'm a misfit alright. I have several dozen full custom Reeder revolvers, several Kase Reeder custom 1911's, several full custom Reeder #1's and a few custom Reeder lever guns...hell even the only revolving carbine he ever built, in 44-40. Yes, plenty are "engraved" with what I..get it, what I wanted on them, but plenty have little to none of it...depending on what "I" wanted. Yep, from .22 Old Model rimfires and .22 K-Hornets all the way up to 475Max, 475L, 500L and (2) 500 S&W's and about everything in between. Some round barrels, some octagon, some short and some long..but you know what, every one of them was built the way "I" wanted them. You know what again, they all shoot accurately and without problems...and come with a lifetime guarantee. Listen here folks, for the most part the quality of workmanship is right there with any popular gunsmith..yes I can say so as I have em' from Linebaugh, FA and Bowen too. The real kicker for most of you folks is this....to get as many full customs as I have from all those other custom smiths.....would take you several lifetimes to get built. I can have a full custom, any way I want it in < 6 months and in some cases a lot quicker. Try that with any of the others.....well maybe you will get it in a FEW years. Do you need a line bored revolver to be accurate? NOPE. Mine(Reeders)will shoot with anyone's I can assure you. To be sure, if you want a gaudy revolver or one that is plain...Gary will make you what YOU want, not charge you an arm and a leg....and you will get it before your will is read. Not bad...HUH?

Almost forgot to mention the half dozen custom Contender and Encore frames along with at least a dozen and a half custom barrels to go with them. Mostly Gary's own wildcat's...all awesome too. Hell, may as well mention the hunts he puts together every year for us too. Been to many, including an African hunt with him in 2006. Nice people too...but maybe not your cup of tea.
I hate to pee in anybody's cornflakes. If you're happy with his work, I'm happy for you. If he builds what you want, you won't hear a peep from me. They're good guns for what they cost but when claims are made that Reeder's guns are just as good as any other's, I have to take exception. They just simply do not compare favorably to the guns of other true custom makers. His fans can get bent outta shape if they want to but the facts speak for themselves. Yeah, he's the guy you want to go to if you want quantity. He cranks `em out as fast as he can with a whole crew of guys working on them. The only work Gary does himself any more is the polishing (or bluing) and the "engraving". It's simple economics. To do the guns Reeder builds at the prices he gets, you have to do them hard and fast. That means cost cutting measures. That means as little hand work as possible and convincing customers they don't need lineboring, oversized cylinders, recessed case heads or a blocked action. Most these other shops are one or two gunsmiths and they're carefully building guns one at a time. They cost more and take more time because the result is better.

No, you can't get it any way you want. There are some that will build whatever the customer wants, Reeder ain't one of `em. He doesn't weld, he doesn't do topstrap conversions, he doesn't linebore, he doesn't do oversized cylinders, he doesn't hand finish, he doesn't block the action, he doesn't do one-off modifications or parts, he doesn't do ovate or damascus barrels, etc., etc., ad nauseum. For a long time he wouldn't touch an Old Model, erroneously stating that they were fragile and completely inferior.

WoodyS

Single-Sixer
Craig, apparently I have a better standing with Gary than you do or did. Some of what you say is true, and some is not. I will leave it right there.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Since some folks don't know what to look for, here's a detailed critique of all the things that would bug the #$%^&* out of me. This is what happens when you just buff the hell out of everything without any regard for the integrity of the finish. No attention to detail whatsoever, just make it shiny. :roll:

ReederBadBisleyConversion_zps910e5ef8.jpg

Note in this pic that all the flat surfaces are flat, the edges are crisp and the grip frame is mated seamlessly. That's because it's hand finished and all those factory flaws are removed. What you do not see is the bank vault blocked action, the linebored chambers, the decked grip frame. Sure, it costs a lot more but that's because the result is better.

IMG_8892b.jpg

Sugar River

Buckeye
The best thing about a Reeder gun is that it don't matter if you drop it down a rocky mountainside.
All the new scratches will just blend in. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts