Frame size comparison question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I know this is comparing apples to oranges but just humor me, please.

Which Smith & Wesson double action revolver frame is the closest in size to a .32 H&R "Vaquero-style" Single Six?

I'm thinking an "L" or possibly even a "K". But the only Smith I've ever owned is a "J" so I don't know.

Thanks,
C.S.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
The Single Six is somewhere between a J and a k frame. J-frames are smaller, but typically have short barrels that you don't usually find on a Single Six. The K-frame is larger than the Single Six, but is likely as close as you'll find in a DA S&W revolver.

Daryl

Thanks y'all

That's about what I figured but I wasn't sure.

Now, the reason I asked. There is a local range that has come up with a new shooting competition using "pocket pistols". I started with a Kel-Tec but unfortunately it jammed 4 times in 2 matches with 3 different types of ammo. I am now using a Rock Island Tactical Compact 1911. I traded the Kel-Tec for a Smith Mod-31 J-frame in .32 Long.

There are 4 categories in PCCA (Pocket Carry Competition Assoc.):
Revovler: any J-frame or equivalent revolver with a barrel of 3.12" or less.
Semi-Auto: any semi-automatic pistol with a barrel of 3.12" or less and no more than 4.6" in height.
Discreet Carry Rev: any K or L frame equivalent revolver with a barrel no longer than 3"
Discreet Carry S/A: any S/A with a barrel no longer than 3.65"

I have shot SASS for over 6 years and would really like to use a single action in this game too. The cheapest and easiest way I can think of to do that is to cut a Birdshead .32 down to 3" and get a spare cylinder for the reloads. I thought about having one of the ones I used to have cut down even before this game was invented. But times got hard and I sold all 3 of them. I think I can get one of them back now though.

Thanks again,
C.S.