First ever real disappointment from Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just took delivery of my new Super Blackhawk Bisley in 480 Ruger. Everything was pretty sorted out except for the frame/receiver alignment. The grip frame was out of alignment by .005" (using a feeler guage). On the rear right side the grip frame was proud to the receiver by .005" and on the rear left the receiver was proud to the grip frame by the same amount. The two were aligned properly at the front trigger guard screw. In addition, the rear of the grip frame (where it contacts the grips) the grip frame was proud to the receiver by about .005" as well. I've called Ruger and got an RMA, and will be shipping the gun to them in NH after 10 July to get the problem corrected.

Over the years I've owned 5 Bisley Vaqueros and 5 other Bisley Blackhawks. What each had in common was the superb grip frame to receiver fit, almost as good as what Freedom Arms achieves with its Model 83s and 97s. this is the first one from Ruger that has disappointed me.

Keith

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Did you remove the grips and check for the last three numbers of the S.N. that is engraved into the grip frame ? Probably has the wrong GF installed and someone else has a similar fit on his. Ruger will take care of you and return it in short order.

I worked an assembly line for seven years. Some jobs are easy while others are a
Real PITA to try to keep up. I worked through many breaks and lunches to keep my area caught up with the rest of the line. Easy to make mistakes when under pressure but QC should have not let that one go.

scubadad

Bearcat
I feel your pain. Bought my 22/45 mk4 and the next day they announce the recall. Otherwise I have only sent 2 rugers back for repair in over 25 years. Both times were quick and painless. Total time with shipping both ways was 8 days tops. And they paid the freight

HW11

Single-Sixer
I had a grip panel on my new 480 split through the medallion after the first box of ammo. I called on Monday and the new grips came in the mail on Thursday. I'm happy with that customer service.

keith.herrington said:
Just took delivery of my new Super Blackhawk Bisley in 480 Ruger. Everything was pretty sorted out except for the frame/receiver alignment. The grip frame was out of alignment by .005" (using a feeler guage). On the rear right side the grip frame was proud to the receiver by .005" and on the rear left the receiver was proud to the grip frame by the same amount. The two were aligned properly at the front trigger guard screw. In addition, the rear of the grip frame (where it contacts the grips) the grip frame was proud to the receiver by about .005" as well. I've called Ruger and got an RMA, and will be shipping the gun to them in NH after 10 July to get the problem corrected.

Over the years I've owned 5 Bisley Vaqueros and 5 other Bisley Blackhawks. What each had in common was the superb grip frame to receiver fit, almost as good as what Freedom Arms achieves with its Model 83s and 97s. this is the first one from Ruger that has disappointed me.

Keith

I too was disappointed with grip frame fit on my Blackhawk my wife got me for my birthday last March. Ruger wanted it back and they fitted a steel grip frame for me, it now looks and feels great!

Enigma

Hunter
I bought a 'cleanup' model of a limited-production RCA flattop .44 Spl Bisley, and the grip frame looked like it had been taken straight out of the bin, bolted on, and the gun sent on to the next station. The grip frame was quite noticeably 'proud' of the cylinder frame all the way around. I called Ruger twice to see about getting it fixed and they blew me off both times. The first time they weren't accepting any "cosmetic" work for the next several months; the second time they wanted me to return it on my dime.

Earlier, I returned a SS .45 Vaquero to them that had a very serious thread choke in the bore, that actually printed into two separate groups. They replaced the cylinder that I'd had Dougguy ream the throats on with a new cylinder that needed to have the throats reamed, test fired the gun, and returned it - with the target showing it printing into two separate groups. I promptly sold that gun. The .44 Spl Bisley is getting a make-over at a gunsmith - starting out with refitting (or in this case, fitting the grip frame, since it was most definitely NOT fitted at the factory).

To say that I was very disappointed would be a serious understatement. This seems to be a trend for me, at least, though. It seems like as the company's emphasis on production numbers increases, the quality of their customer service necessarily decreases.

As planned I shipped the 480 to Ruger in NH for repair on 10 July. They paid for shipping. I was just notified today that the gun is on its way back. Should have it by Friday at the latest.

I also just took delivery of a Lipsey Bisley Blackhawk Flattop in 44 Special. As expected the fit and finish of this gun is first rate. Smooth trigger if a bit creepy. Barrel not choked at the receiver, but surprise surprise at the muzzle. Cylinder lock up and end shake very good. This gun should shoot very nicely.

Keith

Got it back from the factory on 21 July after being repaired. They did a very good job and in a short period of time. It still doesn't look quite as nice as other examples I've owned but all in all, quite acceptable.

Keith

Latest posts