Favorite Single Action Ruger Revolver ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gak

Buckeye
Another fave tied with the others :) New Vaquero .44 Sp. With SBH hammer, Carl's walnuts. I do love the blued guns.
_Xutf-8XBXL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZXJyeS9waWN0dXJlcy9JTUcwMTY3OC5qcGc_X_.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
It would be between these two.

An Old Model Single Six that has seen more rounds than I could count. Featuring a retrofitted XR3 with fancy claro walnut from CLC, a steel ejector housing and bullseye ejector rod.
IMG_7107b.jpg

This custom Old Model flat-top .44Spl by Jim Stroh with antique ivory micarta by CLC.
IMG_7120e.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I reckon it'd have to be this one:

100_63371.jpg

It's a Three Screw Super Blackhawk, cut to 5" and case colored by Doug Turnbull.

Or, maybe this one, a Three Screw .357 Converted to .44 Spec:

100_62331.jpg

This one is my daily carry gun. Cam-cut ejector rod housing, crescent ejector rod head, Old Aemy grip frame, color cased by Doug Turnbull.

Bob Wright

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Bob Wright said:
I reckon it'd have to be this one:
100_63371.jpg

Very nice. I've got a 5" OM Super too (see my avatar.) It was my first Old Model and is my favorite sometimes. It shoots very good.
sbh-2.jpg

Moki

Bearcat
Lee Martin said:
5-shot, 1.40" 41 Magnum:

Five_Shot_41_1.jpg

Oh my that is beautiful especially that front sight tell us more about this gun if you don't mind.

Here is why I feel that way my two con serial # 5.5" barreled Bisley Vaquero's in 45 Colt...

32188Ruger_Bisley_Vaquero_s_45_Colt_003.jpg

I suppose 9 months out of the year would be this 5 1/2" easy to carry convertible. I did a very sweet trigger job(I never use weaker springs than factory original) free spin pawl, #5 locking base pin, Bowen rear sight, Clements #5 front sight with double gold bars, and throated cylinder to .4525" both cylinders.
XD7P1686-1.jpg

Then for deer season, of course 45 Colt, with the same treatments as the convertible, w/ the exception of the front sight. My favorite whitetail machine.
XD7P1485.jpg

P90

Single-Sixer
Yesterday, I finally got around to putting a set of Wolfe reduced springs in my Single-Six 22/22mag. It sure made a difference in the hammer and trigger action. I even like it better now. :)

Lee Martin

Hunter
Moki said:
Lee Martin said:
5-shot, 1.40" 41 Magnum:

Five_Shot_41_1.jpg

Oh my that is beautiful especially that front sight tell us more about this gun if you don't mind.

The cylinder is a home-built 5-shot chambered for 414 SuperMags cut down to 1.40". The barrel is Pac Nor blank and I milled the front sight out of aluminum (gives good contrast against the Bowen target rear).

Here's a close-up of the cylinder:

FiveShot412.jpg

Moki

Bearcat
Any issues with drawing these guns that have the straight/squared rear front sight blades?

I agree, but I use quality leather holsters, it would probably catch and tear the lining on nylon maybe? I know my ruger MK II Target 5 1/2" use to work in an inexpensive Uncle Mikes for years and it is undercut to a sharp reverse edge when drawing. For me the sight on mine is even narrowed for old eyes, lets more light around the front sight, it's not as good to group on paper targets at close range, but in the field hunting and on the darker backgrounds, it allows these old eyes a better chance at get on target.

Jim B.

Bearcat
My favorite is an old stainless steel Security Six with the early 150 numbered frame. It still looks and shoots just like it did back when I bought it new in 1974, except for the custom rosewood target grips that I added.

Mo Lasses

Bearcat
I got this one in the late 70's from a friend, for $50. It is a Ross variant and was the first Ruger revolver I owned.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
My favorite is this 1974 NM Super SS w/Bisley hammer but with wide spur modified to look more like a SBH hammer, Bisley trigger, plus Colt eject rod with sharpened tip and freespin pawl to make it easier to 'find' those little holes when ejecting cases.
orig.jpg

1958 357 Flat Top I converted to 44 Spl is my favorite big bore:
Early super Blackhawk barrel with eagle cut to 4 5/8" with resoldered sight.
Ruger 44 Spl factory cylinder.
Replaced steel offset ejector housing with new straight slot hsg for additional ejector length.
Super Blackhawk cylinder pin w/collar; shortened on both ends.
XR3RED Old Army carbon steel grip frame polished ready for blueing with SBH wide trigger.
orig.jpg

Rapidly becoming my new favorite started life as a '68 vintage Single Six convertible cut to 3 1/2" with a NM steel short grip frame from the NM 32 Mag single six Vaquero adapted to the 3 screw frame for proportion with the barrel and easy packin'. The wide SBH trigger fills the wide hole in the NM grip frame. A USFA cammed slot ERH was fitted to allow for sufficient ejection rod travel to eject cases, especially 22 WRFs and 22 mags. It also allows removal of the cylinder pin for cylinder changes in the field w/o removal of the ERH. A dimpled ER was shortened and pointed (to more easily find those 22 chambers.)
orig.jpg