Detective Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
About 20 years ago Numrich was selling off some overstock Colt barrels. I bought a 3" (yes, 3", not 2") one for a new-model Dick Special that I hoped to own some day. I'm still looking for one. :(

IMHO, a 3" Colt DS would be THE ULTIMATE carry revolver. The modern equivalent of the late great Chick Gaylord's "Metropolitan Special" of the early '60s, but even better.

Don't PM me, the barrel's not for sale. I'm still looking.... :wink:

InjunBro

Bearcat
Nice gun! I had a unfired in the box Detective Spl. for about 2 hours once... then it migrated to my wifes side of the safe. She said I wouldn't resist the temptation to shoot it... so I picked up a used Agent to replace it. There's something special about old Colts.

Spike

Single-Sixer
Maybe I just need to polish it up... I confess I've done nothing with the gun aside from basic cleaning after firing it a few times.
-S

InjunBro

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
About 20 years ago Numrich was selling off some overstock Colt barrels. I bought a 3" (yes, 3", not 2") one for a new-model Dick Special that I hoped to own some day. I'm still looking for one. :(

IMHO, a 3" Colt DS would be THE ULTIMATE carry revolver. The modern equivalent of the late great Chick Gaylord's "Metropolitan Special" of the early '60s, but even better.

Don't PM me, the barrel's not for sale. I'm still looking.... :wink:

I love 3" barrels! Still short enough to stick in a pocket but a little more sight plane. My 3" heavy barrel model 36 is a long-time favorite that led to my 3" .357 SP101 & my 3" .22 M317... Now if Ruger would bring back the .22 SP101 w/ a 3" barrel life would be sweet! Or how about a 3" Bearcat? Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Well if were going to show snub nose Colts I might as well throw mine in.
AAA-1.jpg

Lee Martin

Hunter
As a fan of the old film noir movies of the late 40's & early 50's, it's hard not to like Colt Detectives (or Cobras for that matter).

Really nice piece you have there.

Spike

Single-Sixer
REP1954 said:
Well if were going to show snub nose Colts I might as well throw mine in.
AAA-1.jpg

Must be a politicians gun. :wink:
Nice Colt hideaway.
-S

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I bought this DS, for my mom years ago..
The Walther model 4 belonged to my Dad.....
never shoot'um... just keep'um
i had a first series Colt years ago. It was pretty beat up. I had it reblued and it looked okay.... Sold it cause I had a GF... Now, no GF and no gun.... hmmm...

coltandwalther.jpg

ciao...

reuben..

Spike

Single-Sixer
Nice DS, Reuben. Kind of an old school stock on the newer style full underlug gun... Interesting combination. I don't know a whole lot about the DS series yet -- Would that be sort of a transition year maybe? I'm presuming one of the very early full shrowds? Do you have a year for it?
-S

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I bought it second hand.. Not sure of the grips. Mom prefered them over the string beans on the m36's she tried...
I must admit.. they seem to feel pretty good....
But it is just a keepsake, like the walther.....

ciao...

reuben...

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Wasn't there a problem with the Colt double action guns. Wait it is coming to me...... Oh yeah!! That cylinder spins the wrong way. And it has all those extra parts inside. I knew there was something.

Either way, very nice gun you got there. Congrats.

Spike

Single-Sixer
seeemmiss said:
Wasn't there a problem with the Colt double action guns. Wait it is coming to me...... Oh yeah!! That cylinder spins the wrong way...
No, no, no... Common misconception. The cylinder turns the correct way.
You're welcome. 8)

Oh, well heck, I suppose I better get mine onboard.

Image111-1.jpg

(I guess the stock does have a nice shine. My photography just isn't a buttery as Heliman's.)

-S

Spike

Single-Sixer
Soft, satiny look. It's a good thing, Heliman. 8)

The picture above was actually taken with my cellphone. :lol:

-S

Latest posts