Debate: SR9c vs Glock 19 (for an SR9 owner)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I wish Glocks didn't feel so wrong in my hand because they are loved by just about everyone that owns one so there must be something about them. I do know they are extremely reliable and pretty accurate too. That hump on the back strap really irritates me when I hold it. I suppose I could get used to it.

I may have to buy one at some point and see how I feel about it after having it longer than just holding one in the gun store.

HS-LD

Bearcat
According to my personal side by side by side comparison, the SR-9c is a little bigger then a G-26 and a little smaller then a G-19.

What weird is when you eyeball the SR9c against the G19, they look pretty close, but when they are in your hand, the G19 "feels" much bigger.

Now that's with the 10 rounder on the SR9c, put the 17 rnd with extension grip and then things get really strange.

So to sum up, the SR9c and G19 are exactly the same, only different... :)

For me, the SR9c just feels so much better in the hand. I like the G19 a lot, have 2 of them and 1 G26, but the SR9c is nicer to use. I think I'll be buying one of those gen 2 SR9's to go with it.

Thunderhawk

Single-Sixer
For now I'll stick with my P-95, Glock 19, and CZ p-01. They are reliable and give me no concerns. I still hear way too many problems associated with the SR9 and SR9c models.

owsi26

Bearcat
I have the SR9c and 7 Glocks but not the one you are considering. I don't want to complicate things but have you considered a Walther PPS? It is available in .40 and 9mm. The sizes are identical. I have one in .40 and it is a bit smaller than the SR9c, especially in width. The downside is it's biggest magazine (in 9mm) is only 8 rounds.

I like the feel and appearance of the Ruger, but I love the PPS for IWB and Thunderwear carry. The PPS is lighter than the Ruger.

Good luck with your decision.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Thunderhawk":4ggjv6z2 said:
For now I'll stick with my P-95, Glock 19, and CZ p-01. They are reliable and give me no concerns. I still hear way too many problems associated with the SR9 and SR9c models.

Nice brace of toys ya got there TH ! A perfect combination for a whole bunch of uses.

REV

PCollen

Bearcat
ConradM said:
Don't get offended guys. :roll: To me if you can't fit your whole hand around the grip it's a sub. Something in the G19 size would be a compact.

Here is an excellent video comparing the (L > R at the start) G19, XDmC, SR9C, M&P9C, and G26:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QqCJxVmbPY

Rabon

Single-Sixer
Look thru the first 2 pages at anytime for issues with the SR Series. Very few guns can go toe to toe with a G-19 and not lose, it's going to be a while before an SR anything gets it done. I'm not a Glock guy but the G-19 really is that good. :)

K_Mac

Bearcat
Rabon said:
Look thru the first 2 pages at anytime for issues with the SR Series. Very few guns can go toe to toe with a G-19 and not lose, it's going to be a while before an SR anything gets it done. I'm not a Glock guy but the G-19 really is that good. :)

While you are entitled to your opinion, I could not disagree more. I looked at all of the pistols mentioned before buying. I bought the 9c and have not had one failure of any kind over ~1000 rnds. There are always going to be some issues with any gun, but the overwhelming consensus on the SR9c is very favorable. It is a great value on a very versatile pistol, as far as I'm concerned.

The Glock is certainly a fine pistol, but I would not have one. I have handled and shot a variety of models, and they just don't fit my hand. I also like the thumb safety on the SR9c and the Smith & Wesson MP9c (it is available with or without the external safety). The MP 9c is also worth a close look IMO.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
All you need to do is hold each of them in your hand, and you will see very quickly that the sr9c is much more comfortable. The Glock feels "Clunky" to me and the contoured grip does not fit my hand at all. I have close to 2000 rounds through mine and the only problem I had with it was fixed with a thorough cleaning. With a Ghost rocket installed, it is one of the nicest shooting guns I have ever fired.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
Yeah, the M&P's aren't bad looking and shoot OK ... but it's STILL a Smiff and Western .... and they're not allowed in my gunsafes. :D LOL.

REV

sdc100972.jpg

Your loss...

:lol: 8)

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
"ergonomics and controls are basically the same to my SR9"
That should answer your own mine on what to purchase. If you already like and train with the SR9 then switching over to the "C" will be easy. Going with a Glock will make you think of the grip angle difference all the time. Plus you get extra magazines to use from you old SR9 by using the sleeve and if you have the 10 round version you can switch out the bottom plate to make it short for the "c" using the extra base plate that come with the "c". Plus magazines are not cheap for the Ruger.

GKC

Blackhawk
I have owned, at various times, a SR9c, a G19, a G26, and a S&W9c (among many others.) The grip on the G19 and G26 doesn't fit as comfortably in my hand as do the SR9c and M&P9c. I don't have as much experience with the SR9c, but the M&P9c is equally reliable as is the G19/26, although with not as long a history behind it. Frankly, I think all of these would be great choices for the average shooter, and it comes down to personal preference and which fits/feels best.

One thing the Glocks do have in their favor is that you can buy parts and accessories virtually anywhere...I've yet to go into any gun shop that didn't stock Glock magazines and a variety of parts, etc. They are extremely easy to maintain and repair (at least basic repairs) if ever needed. Are they ugly? Compared to a 1911, yes. BUT they are a tool that can be used and abused (although I don't abuse any handgun) without worrying overly much about the finish, holster wear marks, etc. To me, they are a service weapon, not a collectible.

Bapple

Bearcat
Heliman said:
What's wrong with boring...when it is reliable? :wink:

I think GKC said it best. "They are a service weapon, not a collectible."

When looking at someone's firearms collection, no one would ever go "OOOOOO A GLOCK!! NO WAY!!" Not that I don't respect Glocks because I surely do. They have a proven track record with great reliability and functionality. However, I don't like the ergonomics, mainly the grip. The trigger is also way too mushy for me, whereas the SR9c has the perfect breaking point and is very light.

Someone may have a pretty collection of 1911s, Beretta 92s, Browning Hi-Powers, or CZ-75s, but saying a Glock is as attractive as those is just wrong. I think that's what he was saying.

Just my .02

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Bapple said:
Not that I don't respect Glocks because I surely do. They have a proven track record

Exactly. The G19 has a 22+ year track record of performance, good or bad. The 9c has what...at most 1.5 years? Doesn't mean it isn't a good weapon or that yours isn't reliable. The 9c may become a universally acknowledged great pistol but it's going to take a few years.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I've owned both guns. I still own a G19 and love it.
My SR9c was an early-release model and had a lot of bugs. Further, the safety would chew up my left palm whenever I racked the gun with left-hand-overhand method. There were three other significant problems: light primer hits due to a too-short striker spring, inoperative manual safety and slide serrations (burrs) which cut my fingers. Two trips to Service and they fixed most of it; I fixed the safety.
I think Ruger Service was fine overall; they sent me mailing labels via email which I could print out and affix to the package, which made my mailing expenses zero. The turn-around time, in both cases, was about two weeks.
The SR9c is a decent gun. Nice and small, easy to conceal. I could put ten rounds into one inch @ 8 yards. But it had too many problems for me. Today's gun is probably is much better, now that the kinks are likely ironed out.

Please note that the SR9c is best compared to the G26 and NOT the G19. The G19 is 0.8" taller (grip height) than the G26 or the SR9c. A very large difference between the SR9c, the G26 and much taller and longer G19.

Something else you should know, as Glock.com "width" specs are misleading. The slide-width of the Glock 9's, .40's, .357's and the SLIMLINE model 36 are ALL 1.004" +/- 0.002".
However, the slidewidth of the SR9c is thinner, at 0.980".

The SR9c sitting on TOP of the Glock G26.

SR9coverG26copy.jpg

...and now the G26 on top of the SR9c

G26SR9c-2.jpg

...and both together

G26SR9c-1.jpg

...finally...a portion of my Glock family..
G26 on upper left, G19 on upper right, G17 lower lt, G36 lower rt..

NOTE THAT THE SLIDE-WIDTHS ON ALL FOUR OF THESE GUNS IS THE SAME...~1.004" +/- 0.002". Info that you see on Glock. com is the width of the FRAME, and NOT that of the slide.

FourGlocksusedintesting.jpg

Glock got the kinks out of their G19 about ten years ago or so, and it is the most popular Glock out of all of their models. It is my personal favorite for the range, although I carry the slightly smaller G36 in .45 ACP as it prints less through my t-shirt.

The G19 runs 100%...period, or at least close enough that you may never see a malfunction. I've owned twelve Glocks in four calibers and honestly don't recall any malfunction due to the gun itself.

I HAVE had stovepipe failures with reloads (SWC's), but of course these are NOT rounds which would have been okayed by Glock, Inc. Thousands of commercial rounds, i.e. RN, JHP, XTP, have run perfectly over the years.

Glocks are known to have slightly larger chambers, which greatly increases the probability of feeding a new cartridge. Some folks will also say that the decreased case-head support of the barrel may lead of occasional Ka-Booms, particularly in the higher-pressured .40 Smith models. I am not aware of any serious injury to either a Glock or a shooter who has had the misfortune to experience one of these.
I've had one of these buggers, with a buddy's gunshow reload in .40 caliber. It blew out the mag and got some carbon and powder grains on my fingers, but all I had to do was wash my hands and continue shooting...with commercial ammo this time. :)

Of course I would reco the Glock, and have many times.
S2

Latest posts