Day at the Range: SR40 vs. Glock 22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WolfePack01

Bearcat
My Dad recently bought a Glock 22 (full size .40 cal). Today I had the chance to shoot my SR40 and the G22 side by side and make as many comparisons as possible. I will address the things that stood out most to me. I will start off by saying I really like both guns, but there are some things I like better for each gun.

Weight and Size: the 2 guns are virtually the same exact size, length and height. The SR40 grip is much more slim, which for me is more comfortable. The SR40 is heavier, but it is hardly noticeable (maybe a few ounces). It may deter some who would carry a gun all day but I think the SR40 being just a bit heavier helps tame the .40 cal recoil.

Appearance: not even close, my SS SR40 is a much better looking gun!

Round Capacity: 15+1 for both.

Accuracy: both equally very accurate. The G22 has a longer site radius, maybe 1/4" (if that) but it is longer.

Trigger: I know trigger pull is a big deal but I couldn't tell too much difference. Both were crisp and predictable. The G22 was a bit lighter than the SR40 but had little effect on my accuracy.

Recoil: not much difference at all but I will give the edge to the SR40. For my hand the grip of the SR40 felt better while shooting which helped for faster follow-up target acquisition. Also, the SR40 being a few ounces heavier should absorb some of the recoil.

Slide Lock/Release: loaded or unloaded the G22 slide release is quite easy to operate. Unloaded the SR40 is nearly impossible to drop the slide with the thumb on my shooting hand, but when loaded the SR40 is just as easy as the G22. (I know many will say it's not meant to be a slide "release" but that's what I like to do.)

Maintenance: being the G22 is all black after 150+ rounds it hardly looked dirty at all. The SS slide on the SR40 doesn't fair as well. Finger prints and gun powder make it a nice mess. I know this isn't a big deal but I'm quirky about my gun being clean. Regardless, it had no effect on it's shooting ability.

Accessories: being the G22 has been around for 20+ years there are tons of accessories available; sights, holsters, ANYTHING! The SR series is still fairly new but we are starting to see more accessories become available. In time things will even out (Galloway Precision).

Overall: Being as impartial as I can I really think both are great guns! Let's face it, there is a reason EVERYONE has a Glock. But I will have to say in 20 years (the amount of time Glocks have been around) the SR40 will have bitten into the Glock market (actually already has). A gun that operates just as well but looks a whole lot better is sure to eventually take over or at least grab it's own very large following.

I hope this may be helpful to some or at least interesting reading! Happy shooting!

roylt

Hunter
Something you didn't touch on and I will have to check now for myself but what is the price point on each? If there is a big diff in cost the cheaper one would win for me. I'm a tight azz.

roylt

Hunter
My very quick look says ruger is 70 bucks cheaper.

390 vs 460 new.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Thanks for the review WP.

I think the SR series is a special experience that many should experience. If one is anti-Glock, a SR 9 or 40 is a different experience. I'm a big fan of the natural pointing ability and the SR40 is a more comfortable ride for those who have issues with the 40's recoil and report.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Really good review. Post some targets next time if you can! It sounds like the truth is they're both great guns, different each in their own way, and the Ruger is a little lighter on the wallet. I really believe this is as close to a "personal preference" choice as you can get in modern handguns. Some features will be more important than others about each gun. Some may be dealbreakers. Prospective buyers should put them side by side and hold them, shoot them if possible, and really look them over, and then make up their minds.

[Aside: I can't do that with a new Glock 22 in Massachusetts because they are illegal here. There are a handful of Generation 3s in the Commonwealth, and nothing manufactured after 10/21/1998. Even if I wanted a Glock, I'd have to buy one that's more than a dozen years old. I don't blame Glock for that, by the way: they were approved for sale until the Attorney General of this state decided to yank the rug out from under the approval after the guns had started shipping and were delivered, and forced a recall of all their newly approved firearms -- done at Glock's expense -- and after that Glock decided not to do any more consumer business here. LEOs here can still buy them, and they do, in large numbers, so Glock must be doing something right. And most of the non-LEO public who still have their pre-10/21/98 Glocks here in MA like them very much. They've achieved a kind of "cult" status here because of that stupid episode of bureaucratic malfeasance. Still, I'd rather not buy a gun that's a dozen years old or more.]

Therefore the SR40 is a very, very welcome choice for me and I'm glad to hear it's so close to a new Glock 22 operationally, head-to-head. Thanks again!

roylt

Hunter
I forgot to say thanks for the reveiw too! I see you are fairly new around here too. Welcome.

Gun Fan 70

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the comparitive review! I think Glock makes a fine gun, but I just cant get used to that broad flat slide in my sight picture. Love my SR9 though, a much better looking gun in my opinion.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
WP01; thanks for the review.

I personally like the SR's much more the the glocks.
I used to own a Glock 22 but traded it in on a SIG P226 (before the SR40 was out).
Lateck,

Code-Red-1

Bearcat
I compared my SR40 to my friends Glock 22 and had similar results. I like the sights on my ruger better tho, and the overal fit and finish as well. Trigger in my case went to the glock but it has fired around 3,000 rounds and I've fired 100. Glocks are great, anyone who says other wise is a snob, but an SR series imho is just as good and much more attractive looking and feeling out of the box...

Bapple

Bearcat
A couple other things to add that stand out to me. Obviously everyone agrees that looks is hands down SR so I won't go there.

Adjustable sights! The Glocks are fixed (although they can be drifted). The SR series comes from the factory with an adjustable rear sight if you have an Allen key. That's a big plus in my book.

Invertible Backstrap! If you don't like the feel of the SR grip, just flip around the rubber insert. I didn't like the one on mine being flat because it didn't fit my palm well. But after swapping it, the insert fills my palm and the grip is already slim and just feels perfect. I find the sweet spot within the first second I grab the gun. It's much more natural than a Glock grip.

I just like them more anyway. I respect Glock for its track record and proven reliability but I will never own one. I don't think it's necessary for me to jump on that bandwagon since everyone owns one and I already trust my life with my Ruger and my Beretta. Glocks are also quite an eyesore and I get much more satisfaction looking at an attractive firearm (although this isn't very important in a defense weapon). Glocks are tools in my eyes - they do what they do and they do it well. My Ruger and Beretta are both attractive guns and do their jobs well, but with style.

Thanks for the review. Happy shooting!

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Bapple said:
Glocks are also quite an eyesore and I get much more satisfaction looking at an attractive firearm

That's being kind. If you google up "ugly handgun", first things that spring up are pictures of Blocks. :p
(Sal hides under desk and waits for the flaming to begin)
Sal

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Great review!!!! the SR40 sounds like a winner .I want another full sized 9 MM and I think it's gonna be the SR9 I do have one question ,was the glock a gen 4 gun? The gen 4 glock's grip frame is a bit smaller front to back than the gen 3 guns .They have 2 extra backstraps the small one makes the grip the same size as the gen 3 guns ,the large one makes it the same size as the glock 20 SF .45ACP .Also the frame on the gen 4 guns has a diffrent texture than the old gen 3's and not at rough as the RFT gen 3 late model guns and they moved the finger groves up just a tad bit making the grip a bit more comfortable .

My Sheriff's Office issues the older gen 3 G-22's and I hate the way they feel in my hand ,so I talked it over with the Sheriff and he let me carry my gen 4 G-22 so long as I didn't change the stock trigger to the 3.5 trigger group .So I sold my G -19 w/ TRU-GLO TFO nightsights ,5 mags .hardcase ,small Glock range bag for $500.oo . w/ my L.E.O. discount at the police supply store we use , bought a gen 4 G -22 added the TRU-GLO TFO nightsights for $389.00 +$100.00 nightsights installed and after taxes and all it cost me $13.62 out of pocket .Not a bad deal at all .Heres a pic of it .The glock knife cost me aeound $30,00 I think .
Lou
LousPics373.jpg

WolfePack01

Bearcat
cruzerlou said:
Great review!!!! the SR40 sounds like a winner .I want another full sized 9 MM and I think it's gonna be the SR9 I do have one question ,was the glock a gen 4 gun? The gen 4 glock's grip frame is a bit smaller front to back than the gen 3 guns .They have 2 extra backstraps the small one makes the grip the same size as the gen 3 guns ,the large one makes it the same size as the glock 20 SF .45ACP .Also the frame on the gen 4 guns has a diffrent texture than the old gen 3's and not at rough as the RFT gen 3 late model guns and they moved the finger groves up just a tad bit making the grip a bit more comfortable .

My Sheriff's Office issues the older gen 3 G-22's and I hate the way they feel in my hand ,so I talked it over with the Sheriff and he let me carry my gen 4 G-22 so long as I didn't change the stock trigger to the 3.5 trigger group .So I sold my G -19 w/ TRU-GLO TFO nightsights ,5 mags .hardcase ,small Glock range bag for $500.oo . w/ my L.E.O. discount at the police supply store we use , bought a gen 4 G -22 added the TRU-GLO TFO nightsights for $389.00 +$100.00 nightsights installed and after taxes and all it cost me $13.62 out of pocket .Not a bad deal at all .Heres a pic of it .The glock knife cost me aeound $30,00 I think .
Lou

Thanks for the compliment cruzerlou! It was a Gen 3 Glock 22. Really nice gun. The G23 was actually my first handgun. I really liked that gun too.

Latest posts